Done with Newegg.

USMC2Hard4U

Supreme [H]ardness
So I am comming back to the states in abouts a week. So its time to order my system!

First thing, I go to buy an Athlon X2 4800+

Retail is out of stock... no biggy...

OEM is in stock... 1064$... click add to cart...

A problem occured during adding shopping cart

Sorry, this item belongs to some Bundle. You can't add it manually to your shopping cart.If you want to get this item, please buy the bundle.

To hell with this? WTF? Why even list it on the Web Page for purchase then?

Never again Newegg

I rarely use newegg anymore. ZipZoomFly, Monarch Computer, hell, even SVC are all better nowadays. Of course, I usually do a quick check on pricegrabber, just to make sure. Tiger Direct is usually pretty low, and then there are the "outcasts" - East Luna, MWave, etc, that don't get a lot of play, but are very good.

and I hate the fact that everytime Newegg has a "sale" they bump the prices up, so you end up paying full price anyway. Or they offer free shipping, but add the cost of shipping into the price, so you're paying for it anyway.

Never, never again, Newegg!

I am happy with newegg, order $966 worth of stuff stuff tuesday morning and it came this afternoon with the cheapest shipping. I live in Michigan so thats pretty damn good if you ask me.
To bad I ordered the PSU with another place to save 10 bucks since it isnt here yet :(

I ordered the stuff in my sig from Monarch and ZZF. The bundle deal at Monarch and the free 2-day shipping at ZZF closed the deal on top of the cheaper prices. Newegg used to be great...but it seems they've gotten greedy now that they've got a good rep goin'.

Shakezilla said:
I am happy with newegg, order $966 worth of stuff stuff tuesday morning and it came this afternoon with the cheapest shipping. I live in Michigan so thats pretty damn good if you ask me.
To bad I ordered the PSU with another place to save 10 bucks since it isnt here yet :(

same thing here.. :D i ordered $901 worth of pc parts on tuesday and it's coming in tomorrow.. :D

I still use Newegg to search for all my parts. I think they have the best layout. When I find what I want I go and find that part at ZZF and buy.com (IMHO has the worst layout to find things) I usually only buy from newegg if they have something the other 2 sites don't. I would have said lower price, but in the past few months I haven't found anything that that happened to.

Don't get me wrong, I still love newegg; but a lower price is more important to me.

Shakezilla said:

Me too,i ordered a motherboard Tuesday and got it today and i live in florida. Had it in the computer and working by 10 o'clock this morning.

brom42 said:
I still use Newegg to search for all my parts. I think they have the best layout. When I find what I want I go and find that part at ZZF and buy.com (IMHO has the worst layout to find things) I usually only buy from newegg if they have something the other 2 sites don't. I would have said lower price, but in the past few months I haven't found anything that that happened to.

Don't get me wrong, I still love newegg; but a lower price is more important to me.

Agreed... ZZF often has free/cheap shipping as well. Newegg has an good selection, so it's great for shopping. ZipZoomFly's website is much harder to navigate, though if you know what you want specifically the search function on the site works well. I've built quite a few systems from parts ordered via Newegg, but I'm going to give ZZF a shot this time around because it's going to be considerably cheaper.

Stuff from Newegg always got to me within a few business days. The fast shipping is definitely one of their main strong points.

flobadon said:
Agreed... ZZF often has free/cheap shipping as well. Newegg has an good selection, so it's great for shopping. ZipZoomFly's website is much harder to navigate, though if you know what you want specifically the search function on the site works well. I've built quite a few systems from parts ordered via Newegg, but I'm going to give ZZF a shot this time around because it's going to be considerably cheaper.

Stuff from Newegg always got to me within a few business days. The fast shipping is definitely one of their main strong points.
ZZF's free second shipping actually takes a week..................It's all in the total price,they just add shipping to the price of the item.

CMAN said:
ZZF's free second shipping actually takes a week..................It's all in the total price,they just add shipping to the price of the item.

Actually for me both ZZF free second day and Neweggs express saver take the exact same amount of time. Both are equally super fast. :D

NewEgg is one of the few sites that I just keep coming back too. Their prices are great, excellent selection, great customer service, and they get it shipped extremely fast.

i enjoy the hell out of Newegg still, no problems. However I dont buy anything from them anymore until I get back to FL. I despise paying tax on my orders and being in CA, the tax is NUTS.
So I order from ZZF until I get back to FL, then newegg once again.

As for your X2 4800+, it says plain as day its part of a bundle, theres nothing wrong with marketing like that, dont see how something so minimal would sway you from ever using them again.

Newegg's doing fine for me...I bought every part of my new build from Newegg except the mouse, sound card, and hard drive, which came from ZZF. I don't have as much experience buying computer parts as many of you, but for me Newegg's quick shipping and all around good buying experience is worth it over saving 10 bucks. Still, many of the parts I bought for my build were either the cheapest I could find on Newegg, or within $5 of the cheapest. So, atleast when ordering a bunch of parts at once, it's nice to have the consistently low prices of Newegg, so everything comes in one nice package (or atleast at the same time) and comes quickly. Now, unfortunately, I'll get to see how well their RMA system works, as I just sent by my defective dual channel kit.

I haven't used Newegg since they've started gouging prices on popular items and take longer to ship, somtimes shipping items from different locations raising the costs of shipping. There are way more vendors out there that are cheaper and ship at relatively the same speed.

domoMKIV said:
i enjoy the hell out of Newegg still, no problems. However I dont buy anything from them anymore until I get back to FL. I despise paying tax on my orders and being in CA, the tax is NUTS.
So I order from ZZF until I get back to FL, then newegg once again.

As for your X2 4800+, it says plain as day its part of a bundle, theres nothing wrong with marketing like that, dont see how something so minimal would sway you from ever using them again.

ZZF charges tax if you are in CA too, the company is located in Fremont. I just double checked to make sure.

When something is out of stock, I wait.

I find myself paying more than another online retailer that may have a product cheaper than newegg just for that sense of security.

Some of you people are soooooo dramatic.

Buy the best product, at the cheapest price, at a retailer with a good recent record of customer service. How hard is that? Your favorite retailer doesn't have it, or doesn't have it at the price you're willing to pay? Go with someone else. This is how capitalism works.

Frankly, I wonder if anyone cares where I shop, so why would they care where you shop or don't shop?

USMC2Hard4U said:
So I am comming back to the states in abouts a week. So its time to order my system!

First thing, I go to buy an Athlon X2 4800+

Retail is out of stock... no biggy...

OEM is in stock... 1064$... click add to cart...

A problem occured during adding shopping cart

Sorry, this item belongs to some Bundle. You can't add it manually to your shopping cart.If you want to get this item, please buy the bundle.

To hell with this? WTF? Why even list it on the Web Page for purchase then?

Never again Newegg

yeah, I really understand how all that pressing of the mouse button made you forsake 'em

the last computer I built, the majority of the parts came from Newegg. This one will probably be the same (unless something major happens to Newegg's credibility).

I'm done too, especially on hard drives. I raised a concern about their hard drive shipping practices to their customer service department, and I got a generic load of PR crap that was a waste of time to read and no real action.

Buy your hard drives at ZZF people. They're typically cheaper, and even if they are higher, it's worth a couple extra dollars to get better packing and save yourself a potential RMA. The 'Egg still does OK on solid state stuff, but is unable or unwilling to ship hard drives properly to address their shock protection requirements. Even on the other stuff, "$2.99 FedEx Saver shipping" gets old when ZZF has free 2 day on everything except cases.

I buy pretty much all of my hardware from NewEgg. I love their layout, their prices, their sales, and their shipping. I've never had a single problem, and I'll surely be a repeat customer.

Even so, I've recently been looking at ZipZoomFly and TigerDirect. While I don't know if I'll buy anything from either, it's nice to have options.

I just wish newegg would allow you to select more than one option in their searches. (Like if I wanted to look for 512mb ram AND 1Gb (512mbx2) ram).

Hey, I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with just ordering a CPU (from any online site). When I ordered just a video card from tigerdirect.ca, I got it in this huge box. I mean, do you get your CPUs in large boxes as well?

Hrm...lets see. Just ordered $800 of stuff from the Egg and it was flawless and arrive a day early. I think you just had a bad day and the Egg website was the final straw.

-tReP

brom42 said:
Actually for me both ZZF free second day and Neweggs express saver take the exact same amount of time. Both are equally super fast. :D

same for me...i ordered from ZZF, NewEgg, and Monarch all at the same time and the all got here the same day...i like using all three companies...i usually make a computer config. then search all 3 sites to see who has the cheapest and buy from there...i do that for every part...

ZZF, Newegg, and Monarch are all great places to buy stuff. They usually have free shipping so you can easily find the place to get the item to your door at the lowest price. I think why so many people are upset about Newegg lately is they used to make things so easy. I mean, they always had the lowest price and free shipping a year or two ago. And that helped them build a huge reputation with folks like us. I would say a year ago I didn't even check other prices because I knew Newegg would have the lowest or at least only be a few bucks more (which was well worth their good service). Now, shopping around can save you a ton of money and the other retailers have gotten much better in the service department. Just my 2 cents...

I usually browse at Newegg because I love their layout. But then I'll buy from somewhere that doesn't rape me on shipping.

Example:

1 IDE cable = 99¢
3 IDE cables= $2.97

3 IDE cables + $5 "super saver shipping" for the first, $4 for the second, $3 for the third =
$14.97 for $3 worth of cables. :rolleyes:

Even when you buy something else you pay $5 for shipping for each item which is total and complete bullshit. If I buy 5 items, I should pay to ship the weight of those 5 items, not a jacked up fee for each item.

Fuck you Newegg.

S1nF1xx said:
Even when you buy something else you pay $5 for shipping for each item which is total and complete bullshit. If I buy 5 items, I should pay to ship the weight of those 5 items, not a jacked up fee for each item.

Fuck you Newegg.

Are you sure about that? (As in, have you completed a purchase where this has been the case?) I've ordered complete systems in the past, and have noticed an overall shipping discount upon checkout, at least relative to the individual shipping costs of the separate items.

S1nF1xx said:
I usually browse at Newegg because I love their layout. But then I'll buy from somewhere that doesn't rape me on shipping.

Example:

1 IDE cable = 99¢
3 IDE cables= $2.97

3 IDE cables + $5 "super saver shipping" for the first, $4 for the second, $3 for the third =
$14.97 for $3 worth of cables. :rolleyes:

Fuck you Newegg.

True that, man I could have saved so much cash in the past buying from other small sites. The cost to buy things like thermal compound, IDE cables, ect is more than doubled when you buy from newegg just because of the shipping costs.

i had been very pleased with newegg up untill recently, i bought a creative zen xtra, decided to return it for an ipod, then i found out about their 15% restocking fee, plus im pretty sure they arnt paying for the return shipping, add those together and it will be over 50 dollars because i want to return something :rolleyes:

That is generally the policy.

Why should they take the hit when you were the one being indecisive? Shipping costs money, and NewEgg didn't make the mistake. The 15% restocking fee is due to the logistics cost of receiving your item, updating their inventory, and of course the fact that they can no longer resell it as "new." If you don't want to pay the restocking fee, either buy from somewhere that doesn't charge it, or buy from a brick and mortar store.

Corson said:
i had been very pleased with newegg up untill recently, i bought a creative zen xtra, decided to return it for an ipod, then i found out about their 15% restocking fee, plus im pretty sure they arnt paying for the return shipping, add those together and it will be over 50 dollars because i want to return something :rolleyes:

Well cosidering it will be used when you return it and they cant sell it for new ,what do you expect them to do because you changed your mind.

They need to get a flat rate shipping fee. No more of this $x per item bull crap. If I buy a CD-ROM and an IDE cable, it costs them nothing extra to ship me that cable with the CD drive. They shouldn't charge me shipping on the cable.

They should do it where if you buy x number of items, you pay shipping on the cost of the most expensive to ship item. Or $x per box.

DougLite said:
I'm done too, especially on hard drives. I raised a concern about their hard drive shipping practices to their customer service department, and I got a generic load of PR crap that was a waste of time to read and no real action.

Buy your hard drives at ZZF people. They're typically cheaper, and even if they are higher, it's worth a couple extra dollars to get better packing and save yourself a potential RMA. The 'Egg still does OK on solid state stuff, but is unable or unwilling to ship hard drives properly to address their shock protection requirements. Even on the other stuff, "$2.99 FedEx Saver shipping" gets old when ZZF has free 2 day on everything except cases.

Wait, how do they ship their hard drives? I just ordered a Seagate drive from Newegg last night.
:eek:

Static bag in bubble wrap. Many HDD manufacturer will reject an RMA if you pack a drive as such. The foam shells that ZZF uses do a much better job of protecting HDDs from shock and damage during shipping than bubble wrap does.

Seagate drives have a 350G/2ms non-operating shock resistance, so they tend to survive shipping adventures a little better than other drives not built to such high standards.

I have had three drives come from DOA from Newegg, zero from ZZF. This despite the fact that I've actually bought more drives from ZZF.

They just toss the drive in a box with bubble wrap? That's crazy stupid. I RMAed my Western Digital once before and I asked how to ship it, they said it would probably break going through shipping if I just put it in a box with foam peanuts. They mailed me a box with a little plastic thingy inside that suspended the drive in the middle, and it didn't cost me anything - I can't imagine it cost too much to make; I'm surprised Newegg doesn't use these.

My drive had better not be DOA. :mad: :eek:

Russ said:
I just wish newegg would allow you to select more than one option in their searches. (Like if I wanted to look for 512mb ram AND 1Gb (512mbx2) ram).

You can,... its the power search button, its on the grey stripe below the drop down menus.

NickN said:
They just toss the drive in a box with bubble wrap? That's crazy stupid. I RMAed my Western Digital once before and I asked how to ship it, they said it would probably break going through shipping if I just put it in a box with foam peanuts. They mailed me a box with a little plastic thingy inside that suspended the drive in the middle, and it didn't cost me anything - I can't imagine it cost too much to make; I'm surprised Newegg doesn't use these.

My drive had better not be DOA. :mad: :eek:
I havn't got a bad drive from them yet,they have all been OEM too.

Back