Don't believe in a cure for cancer

CRXican said:
Is there a reason to keep folding?

Sure, they are also working on a cure for Alzheimers or did you forget?

....Looks around for the pun police......

If you don't think what you're doing has a purpose, then don't do it. For the rest of us who do believe there is a cure (me included), we'll keep on folding proudly.

Is there a reason not to? Even if you don't believe it'll help cure cancer, they're working on a lot of other diseases too - Alzheimer's, Mad cow disease, and cystic fibrosis.

And if you only do it for points, we're just about to pass our #1 rival, OCAU. Let's keep ahead of them, huh?

Full fold ahead! ;)

was just checking, wasn't sure of all of it's uses

I'm not gonna stop

And why can't there again?

We couldn't stop small Pox, we couldn't stop Polio, we couldn't go to the moon, we couldn't sequence the human genome, we couldn't stop Dipthera, we couldn't stop Pertussis, we couldn't transplant a heart, etc.....etc....etc......

Well. Even if there is not a cure for cancer... maybe through all of this, it will help someone.. somewhere to save one life.

For me. That is worth more then all the money and time I have spent on f@h

just my 2 cents.

noboundaries_au said:
we'll see mate ;)
less than 20k left as of this post... we will indeed:cool:

i don't know if there is a cure there, but we may as well find out, right?

Well, I just found out my grandmother has Alzheimers... I do it so that maybe I can help other peoples grandparents, and possibly even myself someday.

What if there wasn't a cure and we did fold?
What if there was a cure and we didn't fold?
Why don't you fold?
props to whoever I got this from I forgot who

There is a cure for everything. Keep in mind we know a fraction of a fraction of what there is to know. The only way to learn more is to keep researching. I'm sure the early cavemen, most of them anyhow, didn't think the atom bomb or finding the G spot was possible. FYI, I participated in the latter.

Pied said:
There is a cure for everything. Keep in mind we know a fraction of a fraction of what there is to know. The only way to learn more is to keep researching. I'm sure the early cavemen, most of them anyhow, didn't think the atom bomb or finding the G spot was possible. FYI, I participated in the latter.

Actually I think it was in the 1960's the "G" spot made history....as you said, there is a cure for everything so I keep going. ;)

Penguincomp said:
You must like my ex-wife.

They call her Kristie because Mad Cow was already taken.

Some lost the shirt off their back in that divorce. Ouch man. Sorry.

This is like saying, "I believe the world will end eventually. Should I keep living?"

Why the hell not?

Cancer cant live in an Alkaline state. There are many foods that will keep your body alkaline and home ph tests to check yourself.

Sparky said:
Cancer cant live in an Alkaline state. There are many foods that will keep your body alkaline and home ph tests to check yourself.

Care to explain how that works mechanistically? Becasue if that were the case you couldn't survive either. Your blood must maintian a fairly narrow range of pH centered at 7.4 and is buffered pretty regularly by bicarbonate among others. Alakalosis is not a desireable state for the body and is often dangerous.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001183.htm

Now the way it really works is during certain chemo treatments localized sodium bicarbonate, Carbicarb and the diuretic furosemide can be administered. They are believed to be useful in enhancing the efficacy of these treatment regimens, well at least that is what the murine data shows.

General self alkalosis is a bad thing and can really harm people.

Spectre said:
Care to explain how that works mechanistically? Becasue if that were the case you couldn't survive either. Your blood must maintian a fairly narrow range of pH centered at 7.4 and is buffered pretty regularly by bicarbonate among others. Alakalosis is not a desireable state for the body and is often dangerous.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001183.htm

Wait, so I should stop eating batteries?

wake6830 said:
Wait, so I should stop eating batteries?

No no batteries are fine, just be sure to use yourself as a battery backup for your PC :p

Spectre said:
No no batteries are fine, just be sure to use yourself as a battery backup for your PC :p
Yeah but every time I piss I pop the breaker in my kitchen. :confused:
Must be a bad ground somewhere combined with the fact that I'm running about 9.4v.

Don't forget there are other projects as well. There is a greater good then the team's points.
BOINC has a lot of interesting cpu projects; like SETI, another protein project, and weather predicting. In my opinion BOINC is also setup about 100% better then stanford as well.

Bottom line is there is no point in have an idle CPU. There must be something you believe in....

Uh, isn't the purpose of SETI to find aliens?

Stupid-ass idea IMHO, but whatever floats your boat.

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought you were saying SETI was "another protein project".

Clownboat said:
Uh, isn't the purpose of SETI to find aliens?

Stupid-ass idea IMHO, but whatever floats your boat.

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought you were saying SETI was "another protein project".

Exactly, whatever floats your boat. Thats why I mentioned BOINC. There are so many projects for it; and you can run more then one project at a time, without having to worry about the projects fighting for CPU cycles.
Who knows, maybe we will find aliens, aliens that already know how to cure cancer.

EDIT for his edit: Oh, :p

Whenever SETI comes up I use to do that as my main project. It makes sense, If we find alien races we could very likely find cures to cancer and/or all disease. or at least fantastic preservation methods to stay alive until we do. If nothing else anal probes are guarenteed, maybe slavery for the human race, YES!

Probably not, so they probe ours. Maybe aliens are raging homosexuals. Thats something to fear.

I've always thought that aliens are so far advanced that they've evolved beyond the need for sexual reproduction and one of the reasons we are so fascinating to them is that they have sort of a window through time to see a possible explanation as to how their sexual reproduction used to work.... and that bugs me a bit. Think a bout it... here's an alien inteligence vastly superior to our own that could potentially destroy us and they've spent the last 100 years trying to figure out how we get it on with our assholes. Kind of scary.....
Most likely the little grey dudes evolved past the need for sex because they were such airheaded geeks that no chicks would give them the time of day.
That hits a little too close to home....

BakedON said:
I've always thought that aliens are so far advanced that they've evolved beyond the need for sexual reproduction and one of the reasons we are so fascinating to them is that they have sort of a window through time to see a possible explanation as to how their sexual reproduction used to work.... and that bugs me a bit. Think a bout it... here's an alien inteligence vastly superior to our own that could potentially destroy us and they've spent the last 100 years trying to figure out how we get it on with our assholes. Kind of scary.....
Most likely the little grey dudes evolved past the need for sex because they were such airheaded geeks that no chicks would give them the time of day.
That hits a little too close to home....

Now thats a hell of a theory.

Back