Don't buy a HD4870 X2 just yet, wait for this

alg7_munif

Supreme [H]ardness
No, don't wait for the new 55nm GT200 but wait for this:

AMD in deal to bundle Blizzard games with Radeon

SUNNYVALE, Calif. (AP) -- Advanced Micro Devices Inc. said Tuesday that it reached a deal with Blizzard Entertainment Inc. through which the chip maker will be able to bundle Blizzard games with its ATI Radeon graphics products.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

At least the price will drop if you wait and you will get a free game.

Looking at the HD4870 X2 benchmarks, nVidia would have a hard time to catch up with AMD by just using a higher clock alone if the 55nm GT200 is just a die shrink of the 65nm GPU.

Man they are really trying to get more addicts to world of warcrack aren't they.

At least the price will drop if you wait and you will get a free game.
No you dont.. You get World of Warcraft. If somebody wanted world of warcraft all they would have to do is download the client anyways.

No you dont.. You get World of Warcraft. If somebody wanted world of warcraft all they would have to do is download the client anyways.

Don't forget this:

Blizzard was merged into Activision Blizzard Inc. in July when parent company Vivendi SA bought a majority stake in Activision Inc.

This deal kinda sucks. We get a free copy of WOW but still have to pay them to play. I wish Steam inked a deal like this where we can get a free game download of our choice! :D

I have a feeling it'll be a month subscription or something to WoW.

Don't you guys get that Desktop shortcut to WoW Free Trial whenever you install the latest drivers for your 48xx cards? (when i installed the latest drivers for 4850/4870).

Where does it say that WoW will be the game bundled? I'm still waiting to see how the refresh of the GT2x0's pans out. Interesting developments.

If they were to come with a coupon for a free Starcraft 2 when it's released I'd be all over that :D

Looking at the HD4870 X2 benchmarks, nVidia would have a hard time to catch up with AMD by just using a higher clock alone if the 55nm GT200 is just a die shrink of the 65nm GPU.

It would *only* take a core of 800mhz to reach the 4870x2 speeds. Not probable, but still possible.

and why do people think that it will be wow what was bundled with 9800pro half life 1 ?

Most won't be able to buy one anyway right now. ATI launch = fail.

How you figure? I see 4 cards for sale on newegg, 3 of which are available. How do you call ita fail? If I wanted to, I can buy one with no sweat.

How you figure? I see 4 cards for sale on newegg, 3 of which are available. How do you call ita fail? If I wanted to, I can buy one with no sweat.

Maybe you should hit the refresh button.

I have....for the past couple of hours because I want to buy one and they sold out before I could even put my info in.

and why do people think that it will be wow what was bundled with 9800pro half life 1 ?

I'm pretty sure it was Half Life 2 - and they ended up using vouchers since the card launched before the game ;)

Yeah ATI buddying up with Blizzard is a bad idea....

Wake the hell up people

If they were to come with a coupon for a free Starcraft 2 when it's released I'd be all over that :D

I think my wife would make me buy two of them. She's quite the Starcraft nerd, even to the point of having a plastic model of a hydralisk on her desktop at AMD. (She's Hannah the Hydralisk.)

The game doesn't have to be WoW, it could as well be a game from Activation since they are now the same company.
It would *only* take a core of 800mhz to reach the 4870x2 speeds. Not probable, but still possible.

How about this? 1.0GHz clock?

Yea, valve really gave ATI a head ache over that one, LETS DELAY TILL THE NEXT GEN REFRESH!! ugh...

Anyways, if it IS wow, it'll probably be a whole new account key if they wanted to keep it on par with the other add in games, since the game itself only sold for $40, but with out the expantion, it would be a good item for both companies, one it would get people to upgrade their cards and get a 2nd account (not like I would) and two force a consumer to upgrade to the expantions.

But I have my doubts its WoW, I think they could bundle better games, its not like activision has nothing but BAD games.

Free games are generally not interesting.
I would rather want a lifetime warranty & smooth RMA process.

There may be some good reasons to wait, but a (unknown and possibly bad) bundled game isn't one of them.

considering I already play WoW, I'm not going to wait a few months to buy my video card so I can get it for free ........

This deal kinda sucks. We get a free copy of WOW but still have to pay them to play. I wish Steam inked a deal like this where we can get a free game download of our choice! :D
Yeah, this is totally outrageous. Anyone who buys an ATi card should be able to play WoW without paying a monthly fee. That would make everything fair. What a brilliant idea.

/facepalm

Wouldn't it make more sense for this bundle to be where you buy WoW and get a free video card?

Back