DONT Buy ASUS and here is why.....

my suggestion is call back. I have delt with Asus RMA a couple times, each time the send and recieve time has certianly NOT been record breaking, but they did do it. I had to call tech support once asking for a new... something or other. cant remember. anywho, I got this ~55 year old poor-english chinese lady on the phone, she treated me like some long lost grandson, it was really funny actually.

anywho, every store has assholes and heros, you just got an asshole.

although i will admit, offering a new bios to flash thats flat our WRONG is pretty back technical support.

wahhmbulance1.jpg

Dude. Things go wrong sometimes. You are saying that just because you paid alot for your motherboard it should be perfect. This is ridiculous. It was your choice to spend way too much on unproven bleeding edge hardware, it was your choice to flash a brand new BIOS without waiting to see what issues it might have (not a very good idea at all), and now you're freaking out that ASUS wants $5 to send you a brand new BIOS chip? That sounds like pretty damn good service to me. Certainly better than paying to ship the board to them at your cost, which is pretty much standard practice with RMAs.

You spent a lot of money. Good for you. But you should know that with brand new hardware, there is bound to be some issues. How much money you blow has no bearing on whether or not you may experience problems.

I have zero sympathy for you. Please stop your whining.

And don't lie about how much you spent. The prices you listed were very, very generous and it still fell significantly short of $6000. Not really helping your case...

Kid you are just trying desperately to create a flame war. I have stated my intentions. I you have nothing to contribute dont. you obviously dont read , you dont realize that I am just the Thread Starter speaking on behalf of all the people that got bit by this flash.

You dont even know what the thread is about.

The price of my entire rig has nothing to do with the screw ups by Asus so far and I am sure there will be more to come. Now you can keep this thread at the top all you want and play your little kiddy games but I am not playing and either are the other owners of the Striker board that got bit.

dont have anything else to do huh . just looking for a thread to start some crap in eh.
Im sure you can find a more suitable thread to post your little kiddy pic in

4: 4 gig of Corsair Dominator 8500 memories with the Corsair fan
$800

HOLY CRAP O_O 800 bucks for RAM! i cant justify spending $6000 dollars on a computer..mine does everything i would want it to do just fine!

<ASUS P5B Deluxe, C2D E6400, 8800 GTS, 2 Gig G.Skill 6400>
--------$180---------------------$212---------$400------------------ $184

Why do you care how much damn money I spend. Its my frigging money I work for
kid, why dont you get a job and quite asking mommy and daddy to buy your pc gear.

If I want to buy good stuff after waiting a few years to upgrade thats my decision.

Boy talk about a bunch of jealous ass kids.

Now there are some adults on here that spend there hard EARNED DOLLARS on Computer gear so we wont have to upgrade for 2 to 3 years. Thats why we are all trying to stay ahead of the game.

Try getting a job, credit, save your money and buy the stuff and quit envying those who have it.
Pathetic. and you think your going to affect the topic of this thread. Well it aint changing and I will keep posting. Get a frigging life..

A job for starters

Okay.

It does not matter how much he did or did not spend on his new computer. That is besides the point. The point, is that Asus has dropped the ball, big time, and refuses to admit that their problem. Which, in this case, would be the new bios, which has killed it's fair share of motherboards. Replacement chips, which you need to pay for seperatly, are not expensive, but rather, it's the concept: Having to pay seperatly for Asus' mistakes, being dealt with rudely... Terrible.

Sorry about all the problems you've had. Thank you for the heads up on the Striker extreme's bios issues.

5 bucks for a new bios chip doesn't seem too bad though. Yes if there is an issue with the bios on the site they should just give it to you but still whats 5 bucks?

Personaly I try to avoid asus motherboards just because I always seem to have issues getting driver files from their website. Site is slow and half the time I use to get FTP down messages from them.

Their site is just plain AWEFUL. I probably will never buy another Asus product again. I was champing at the bit to build my Core 2 Duo system. I've heard great things about the preformace of the 975x so I bit the bullet. Never again though...its unacceptable to have a site that poor with the amount of business that company generates.

$1200 on Storage...ain't that a b*tch?

Oh well, whatever floats your boat.

My past experience with Asus has always been very bad as far as customer service and their web support is usually a joke if it is even working. I have not bought or recomended a Asus board for years. I see they have not changed either. They have always had about the worst onboard sound to the point that is about unuseable yet the still get good reviews. You can hardly do worse than Asus.

Why don't you hotflash the bios chip on one of your working boards? It wouldn't take more than a few minutes.

their support sucks BIG TIME.
I called with a p5b (it was 2 days old at that time) took me 3 people there to get one that could speak english. OVERNITE it to us at your expense $25 and $25 charge for overnight back to you. Shipped it out on monday got it back on wednesday.....TOOO FING BAD they never even opened the box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I called screaming at the idiot on the phone (who was the idiot on the phone since I bought it) Well this time they paid shipping there and back, I got it the following monday and it was a replacement.

I can't believe they put a note in the box saying it had been tested and all was well and they didn't even open the box. THAT IS CRAP SERVICE

The 0803 bios you got must have been corrupt somehow...I used the ez flash utility with a usb thumb drive to flash the 0803 and had no problems...other than the fact that the 0803 upped my default vCore...I ended up going back to 0802.

Well that would explain why some of us are getting our machines to come on for 1 second and shut down. Just as I mentioned earlier about what they could do with the code. They could essentially put upload inferior code to the chip which would in escense roast your processor. Well the Intel E6700 isnt going to let that happen so I would suspect getting hit with an excessive overvoltage would cause the system to fail to boot.

Like I said from the beginning the flash process worked. The memory was successfully replaced with 803 and I was prompted to hit F1.

You are quite lucky in that you could reflash back to the BETA bios. I don't actually see how.
What processor do you have? I have seen you on the
Asus forum Texxx. You and I both know how many people are ending up with dead boards.

So you are telling me and everyone that their non Beta Bios is dangerous and should not be used. Thanks and that makes my point even more relevant.

They really screwed us over. You don't put a bios online with a default cranked adjusted VCore which I am suspecting you couldn't change?

Then entire thing is a nightmare, now if I order a bios will I be in your shoes? It will probably do the same thing shut down.

I am so damn pissed.

Crash[man];1030591620 said:
So you are telling me and everyone that their non Beta Bios is dangerous and should not be used. Thanks and that makes my point even more relevant.

I don't know how dangerous it is, but as I stated in another thread the 0803 does seem to lock the vCore to 1.5V and consequently raises the cpu temp...which can be dangerous, I know...and yes, there were many people in the Asus Striker forum that were having problems with the 0803 bios. Maybe the forum will be back up today.

Crash[man];1030591179 said:
Why do you care how much damn money I spend. Its my frigging money I work for
kid, why dont you get a job and quite asking mommy and daddy to buy your pc gear.

If I want to buy good stuff after waiting a few years to upgrade thats my decision.

Boy talk about a bunch of jealous ass kids.

Now there are some adults on here that spend there hard EARNED DOLLARS on Computer gear so we wont have to upgrade for 2 to 3 years. Thats why we are all trying to stay ahead of the game.

Try getting a job, credit, save your money and buy the stuff and quit envying those who have it.
Pathetic. and you think your going to affect the topic of this thread. Well it aint changing and I will keep posting. Get a frigging life..

A job for starters

excuse me pal. lets not assume that my parents pay for my parts, i bought all of these with my money i earned myself kthxbai, oh and not to start a flame but im not jealous im quite happy with my parts that I PAID for just last week.

Anyways i have nothing to add to this topic, was just astounded by the prices I'd just see the money spent better by getting a large monitor/TV for about 2500 or so and then spending another 2500 to 3000 on a ..really good computer so you can play in the living room on a bigscreen

You have $6000 invested in a computer?!? And you don't have a quad core? And you're using air cooling? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: I have over 8,500 and I don't use watercooling, not a really hard concept to understand. :rolleyes:

Asus website sucks, but I've had multiple RMA's from them and everything is fine. Not to mention that their boards barely ever have non-user induced errors.

BTW, if you spent $6000 on that machine, you got badly ripped off. I spent about 4500 and have a qx6700, 8800GTX, 30in HP monitor, 2x 750GB drives, 2x raptor 150, etc, etc.

I think you are missing the "invested" part. Just because somone invested 6k a month or two ago, doesn't make it todays cutting edge in terms for the same value of investment.

Your arrogance shows clean in this thread, you include your monitor and a single 8800gtx... he has two 8800gtx's and who said he doesn't have 3 30" monitors? Perhaps you got a raw deal?

The 803 bios and the beta 802 are no longer available to download on Asus site.
What did I say from the beginning. I new once the Tiawanise got back to work on monday
they would pull it.

So now the latest bios I can get is 701. This bios is unacceptable if you are using an XFI card and 2 8800 GTXs in SLI. You get major SCP issues which have been an ongoing war on Creatives website.

I am inclined to believe now that the issue is related to the motherboard since I now have a new board and stayed up late playing several games. I actually am able OC my cpu beyond 3.6 gig.

Nevertheless I will call and get a chip with the 701 bios but mark my words somehow the tech support is going to here about this and hopfully will be replaced by people with a brain.

As for the Lame dude I have nothing to say:rolleyes:

Sorry for off topic but WTF!!??

$6000 for a computer? You can even buy Alienware and they'll water cool your system, overclock it, 2x 8800GTX, and then add in a 30in monitor for $6000.

But seriously, why do you spend $6000 on a computer and get E6700?

OMG!!WTF!!ROX0RZZZZ!!! Watercooling!!?!??! Alienware?!?! You must be RICH!!!

Seriously :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Go crap somewhere else.

And don't lie about how much you spent. The prices you listed were very, very generous and it still fell significantly short of $6000. Not really helping your case...

Quite Ironic I must say.

You guys are bitching at him for spending his OWN money on a system he wants and you compare your own systems with Keyboards, Mice, Monitors, and everything to his.

He priced his system out, some components were more than you can get it for now on Newegg, but it wasn't the price back then when he bought it.

Also, his price is less than $500 short of his mark, and it doesn't include the monitor, keyboard, and mouse + mousepad.

In my case, my keyboard was $120, I paid $2200 for my monitor, and mouse + pad was nearly $100... if he had the same that would put him by far over $1500 over his own estimates.

So please, use some courtesy and please stop your jealousy and envy, it's not helping this thread, either.

4: 4 gig of Corsair Dominator 8500 memories with the Corsair fan $800

Memory prices suck these days, but oh well. I, too, was looking at buying these memory modules and been watching these prices for about a month now. Each 2GB cost $379(exluding SH and tax) as of today.

So, $800 bucks is about right even for today price. Lucky for me, there's a $40 dollar rebate today and free SH. :)

I plan on getting the 4GB also, but avoiding the 680 chipset all together if the Gigabyte D6 Rev 3.3 is even better than Rev 2.2

POOF ITS GONE

As I said come monday 803 would no longer be available. neither is the beta 802 that Texx is using. We both know about the 802. It has its issues but if you have an XFI atleast you can use it somewhat.

Well that concludes my thread. It all transpired as suspected. I now have a 400 dollar motherboard I cant use because I run SLI 8800s and I will use my Creative XFI Fatality card.

The Striker will remain in its box probably for months until I hear there is a decent bios out.

Pathetic

Goodbye and your welcome for the warning.

I've been a big fan of Asus for many years and never had any problems with their boards up until I got the P5N32-E SLI 680i board which died on me - literally burned up in smoke :). Right now, I don't think Asus is a good choice for 680i, so I settled for an Asus P5B-Deluxe P965 board and my results have been great so far. I was able to overclock better with that board compared with the 680i board.

I can't comment on their tech support because I've never used it, but their website is pretty poor :) However, I will probably continue to buy Asus :)

Crash[man];1030590953 said:
First off much of the product was bought in like CompUSA and Bestbuy.

well then that's you're problem... VERY stupid shopping. Just pay the $5 and STFU nobody could possibly respect you anymore so just shutup and drop it.

1) Pissed off an ranting over $5. Shit happens.. Take the new BIOS chip and STFU

2) ranting about spending so much when IT'S YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT for over spending on everything.

3) thinking the dumbasses answering the phone are going to know everything about EVERY board is retarded.

4) cutting edge BIOS without even letting people flash first... It's always the retards that get dead boards when a BIOS first comes out...

Thank you for the warning Crash[man]. I agree asus should not release a bios that kills your machine, and that with the rubbish support is a sign things are not right at asus. I'll be very careful when updating my P5W deluxe.

As for all the crash[man] haters? Shows why I don't go on the hardocp forum much - every other post is just meaningless off topic flaming.

It's a shame that happened and thanks for the warning, although, I've never had any intention of buying that board. I see it as an overpriced mistake. Yeah, Crashman is taking some slack for it but at the same time, I think his ranting is a bit excessive. Caps lock must be stuck on a few words here and there. :) Move on, it's a new day, things will work out.

I don't work for Asus and I don't have any vested interest in them beyond my interest in them as an enthusiast who likes their products.

My interest is in preventing someone from reading this and being scared off from a good company because of your ineptitude. Asus is like any other company, sometimes they miss the mark. However in this case most of your problems resulted from your own lack of foresight. You spent a lot of money on your computer? Lack of foresight -- you could have gone to newegg and saved a boatload of cash on everything you bought, but you made the poor decision to shop at CompUSA and Bestbuy. Bios flash didn't go well? Lack of foresight on your part -- you could have waited until there was some feedback as to how the new BIOS works instead of just blindly installing it. Or, if you like being on the bleeding edge, you could have bought another BIOS chip in case of a bad flash or a corrupted BIOS. You couldn't get any answers to your problem on a weekend -- again, lack of foresight. If it were me and I had no other information to go on, I would have at least waited until Monday when I knew I would be able to get ahold of someone worth speaking to or been able to take the board back to CompUSA to get a replacement.

You lacked foresight and you got burned. That does not diminish in any way the fact that yes, Asus screwed up, and yes they are responsible for fixing the problem. However, as another poster stated, be happy they offered you the option of sending you another chip for a measly $5. Most companies would have told you to RMA the whole board, shipping at your cost. They offered you a solution that in my eyes is very reasonable, all things considered. Yes, great customer service would have been to send you the chip for free, but $5 isn't an unreasonable amount nor does it make Asus a terrible company out to screw people at any given moment.

It just really irks me when people like yourself who spend a lot of money on something throw that around as some kind of justification for why anything that goes wrong with said product makes it some grand injustice. It's not. You overpaid and then you were careless with your shiny new expensive motherboard. Your choice.

anyone else with a striker have the same issue? if its widespread i'd say its the "code" if its not I'd say its your board

Hey, don't blame the flasher. If a mobo companies publishes a BIOS that is not marked as beta, it should be safe to download and flash. It's a common procedure.

I would follow the advice to never flash...but to get full functionality and fix bugs we have to flash.

Mobo manufacturers should either release non-buggy, fully-functional boards with stable BIOS versions, or provide instant free BIOS replacements if a flash goes wrong.

Unfortunately there is no mobo company that does either of these things...We should stop attacking each other and start demanding more from them.

anyone else with a striker have the same issue? if its widespread i'd say its the "code" if its not I'd say its your board
I'm not having any issues. I understand this issue only happens when you use Asus Update to flash the bios in stead of eg. EZ-Flash.

well then that's you're problem... VERY stupid shopping. Just pay the $5 and STFU nobody could possibly respect you anymore so just shutup and drop it.

1) Pissed off an ranting over $5. Shit happens.. Take the new BIOS chip and STFU

2) ranting about spending so much when IT'S YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT for over spending on everything.

3) thinking the dumbasses answering the phone are going to know everything about EVERY board is retarded.

4) cutting edge BIOS without even letting people flash first... It's always the retards that get dead boards when a BIOS first comes out...

Just FYI, I have reported your post.

1) $5 he didn't need to pay, this is a $400 board, not a cheap $35 board
2) This would be kinda like a Ferrari owner bitching about his car that just stalled that he spent a fortune on. Nothing wrong with that, he's an upset customer and has every right to be. If no one threw a fit, guess what, asus wouldn't have cared.
3) Those "dumbasses" works for the company of the said board, it's expected of them to know their product
4) This was not a beta bios, this was a published and supported bios. Clearly it's not the fault of the flasher but a problem with the company's product.

I like how you flame him and then you proceed to call people retards who used the bioses, just a little FYI, I think you would be calling a lot of people a retard including Dan_D who is a motherboard reviewer for the hardforums and had the same problem.

2) This would be kinda like a Ferrari owner bitching about his car that just stalled that he spent a fortune on. Nothing wrong with that, he's an upset customer and has every right to be. If no one threw a fit, guess what, asus wouldn't have cared.
3) Those "dumbasses" works for the company of the said board, it's expected of them to know their product
4) This was not a beta bios, this was a published and supported bios. Clearly it's not the fault of the flasher but a problem with the company's product.

I like how you flame him and then you proceed to call people retards who used the bioses, just a little FYI, I think you would be calling a lot of people a retard including Dan_D who is a motherboard reviewer for the hardforums and had the same problem.

well said

1. Most manufacturers would have wanted him to ship the whole board back to them at his cost.

2. This would be more like a Ferrari owner opening the hood and tinkering with the engine when there's a manufacturers defect that caused it to stall in an attempt to remedy the situation himself, when he should have taken it back to the dealer to let them deal with.

3. Those people aren't dumbasses. They are likely underpaid support staff who are at the bottom of the food chain, especially if they're working on the weekend. As someone who's done that job I can tell you that most of them don't care about you or how much money your board cost. They just want to get through the day so they can pay their bills. Call centers are hell.

4. You're correct in that it was not a beta bios. However you cannot deny that waiting a few days to see what the BIOS is doing for people would have saved this guy a lot of headaches. Regardless of if it's an outright bad bios that will kill the board, what if it just didn't even fix anything? What if it fixed his problem and broke something else? There's a multitude of issues that can be brought on by BIOS flashing, and any enthusiast that knows his shit will tell you that flashing is risky and you should be damn sure that you absolutely need to and want to flash said BIOS before doing so, unless you've got Dual BIOS or a backup chip.

This is akin to walking through a bad part of town at night with $1000 in your pocket and a big gold chain, with no means of protecting yourself, and getting stuck up. Are you a victim? Yeah, sure. But you also should have known better.

Every company has their (not there) ups and downs. I'm still not swayed by the OPs post as he is just flaming ONE bad experience and flaming other forum members and can't spell correctly.

2. This would be more like a Ferrari owner opening the hood and tinkering with the engine when there's a manufacturers defect that caused it to stall in an attempt to remedy the situation himself, when he should have taken it back to the dealer to let them deal with.

So, what you're saying is that no one should ever do a BIOS update and we should all send it in to the manufacturer for any BIOS updates?

Yeah, I can see that happening really soon.
Asus: Ship us the board and we will change the BIOS settings for your memory. Don't change anything in the BIOS, we will take care of it..
or
Asus: Your date and time is incorrect? DON'T TOUCH THE BIOS! Ship it to us.
or
Asus: There's a new BIOS out that fixes that very minor an annoying thing in the BIOS, floppy drive B(not A) is listed as only 1.44MB and no option to change it to 720KB. Ship it to us and we will update the BIOS for you.
or in your case...
Asus: New bios out..ship us the board and we will ship it back to you after we received your board and update it on a first come first serve basis. Oh, and BTW, please ship it to our headquarter in Taiwan. :) The typical turn around period is 60 days. We ship back by boat. Hahahahaha

Yeah, I can see this happening very soon.

BTW, for the size of the company and amount of products they carry, their website sure slow as hell. I wonder if it's slow for employees in the Asus's HQ. Seriously, I think Asus quality control is going down the drain. They use to be good.

1. Most manufacturers would have wanted him to ship the whole board back to them at his cost.

3. Those people aren't dumbasses. They are likely underpaid support staff who are at the bottom of the food chain, especially if they're working on the weekend. As someone who's done that job I can tell you that most of them don't care about you or how much money your board cost. They just want to get through the day so they can pay their bills. Call centers are hell.

4. You're correct in that it was not a beta bios. However you cannot deny that waiting a few days to see what the BIOS is doing for people would have saved this guy a lot of headaches. Regardless of if it's an outright bad bios that will kill the board, what if it just didn't even fix anything? What if it fixed his problem and broke something else? There's a multitude of issues that can be brought on by BIOS flashing, and any enthusiast that knows his shit will tell you that flashing is risky and you should be damn sure that you absolutely need to and want to flash said BIOS before doing so, unless you've got Dual BIOS or a backup chip.

This is akin to walking through a bad part of town at night with $1000 in your pocket and a big gold chain, with no means of protecting yourself, and getting stuck up. Are you a victim? Yeah, sure. But you also should have known better.

1) To ship the whole board back at his costs? Quite ironically I've yet to experience such support with higher end products, usually they would go out of their way to please you...especially when they are found to be at fault. This wasn't an item that needed to be sent back and forth, this was an item that the company has in stock that sets them back less than a dollar in postage and expense... simply drop a new bios chip in a padded envelope and be done with it... perhaps request that he sents his old one back so they further ensure customer satisfaction in that they will diagnose it and prevent this from happening again. Heck include a shipping return sticker and they will lose nothing other than postage expenses... on noes a whole 78 cents they lose for a $400 sale.

Also, your method of argument is flawed in that they didn't offer him to ship the board back nor did they offer for free shipping to the customer. In this case, the item would have come from the factory to the customer, so why should the customer have to pay for that? I can agree on customer to company, not the other way around.

2) Your argument is also flawed here. There was no attempt to "resurrect" the problem as you describe in such a primitive fashion. You could use this Ferrari analogy: Dealer posts a customer notice bulletin and tells it's customers that they can fix the engine stall problem by simply turning the key 4 times and resetting the on-board ECU. Turns out this whole "fix" was a flop and screws over the ECU which needs a chip replacement... customer is pissed, he now has a screwed up car worth a fortune that was somewhat working before... but now it's not working at all. Ferrari then tells said customer that he can pay to have the problem remedied.

3) I never said dumbasses. Actually if you read the thread I was being sarcastic to a scolding comment made to asus's tech support who are supposed to be trained in this area.

4) So if no one tries it, then who's going to try it? With asus tech forum being offline and these boards not exactly being a flavor in everyones computer, it's not exactly easy to sit there and wait for results when you want to use your computer. This was an official release, not a beta... thats like telling someone that they can drive over a bridge and have it collapse under them... so why should the victim be to blame for something. Isn't there some credibility anymore? So you suggest that we should now treat all official releases with skepticism and hostility as we would with betas and alphas? and let somone else take the fall?

Every company has their (not there) ups and downs. I'm still not swayed by the OPs post as he is just flaming ONE bad experience and flaming other forum members and can't spell correctly.

Actually it's the other way around, since post 8 people has been doing nothing but being envious and jealous over his computer system. If you take some time to look, since post 8 there has been nothing but negative comments on what he spent his money on and why he spent his money.

Quite frankly, this isn't a new thing, last time one guy who had 4 7800gt's in a machine for multi display was relentlessly bashed back and forth about why he blew that kinda money. This is the same here.

What does money that he spent on his machine or not have to do anything with the topic? He simply mentioned his issue and his state of enthusiasm he was in. If you had invested that kind of money into your hobby, you would feel the very same way.

If no one complained then what would be the point... you have the very same right as the person next to you to complain about something. He has the very same right to post that thread vs you posting your rant about him.

You complain that he can't spell, perhaps you want to look at your very own sentence structure... and and and and.

Is it not up to the manufacturer to test the BIOS before the are released? The customer should not be a beta tester when the BIOS is clearly not a beta BIOS. If the BIOS is posted as a release BIOS, it should work without issues, and if issues come up, the company should be liable for releasing buggy code. Period.

The bottom line is ASUS is a sloppy company. It shows with the quality of their 2yr old un-finished website, the numerous spelling and grammar errors in the product literature that comes with the products, and the general disorganization of the company as a whole. I wouldn't be one bit suprised if some fool in the company uploaded the wrong file and caused this whole problem.

Thankyou OP for posting this as I am sure you have stopped at least one person from having the problems you did. You probably even helped ASUS out as well in the process.

So I dont spen an hour reading al the post I like to say this:

I dislike asus very much. The mobos look so dull, I have had so many go bad on me, and they are overpriced.
Yes I am a fan boy of gigabyte and have been for many years. I will never buy anything that has an asus lable on it ever again.

Anyways, I like to say why are they releasing a bio that has issues like that anyways? Then also charge YOU money to fix it. Granted the cost is very little but thats besides the point. It was thier messup and the fix should be free whatever the cost may be. Tech support should be fully aware and have a bit of knowledge of the new updates that are avilable before they are realeased. That is total BS and I do feel for you.

Back