Don't Freak Out Because Smartphones Are Getting Rid Of Headphone Jacks

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
I’m actually indifferent because I’ve settled on a nice pair of BT headphones, but it’s sad how people with Lightning headphones can't listen to music and charge their phones at the same time.

…this might not be so bad . Bluetooth-based headphones are already becoming more ubiquitous, and switching from an analog to digital connection opens up possibilities for making headphones more versatile down the road. (Noise canceling for everyone!) Various headphone manufacturers have already started launching USB-C - and Lightning -based models, too. Time heals all wounds. To start, though, it could be rough. For most people, the difference in audio quality between affordable Lightning or USB-C headphones and affordable 3.5mm headphones is likely to be negligible. If anything, the cheap internals in the former might make things worse.

Its a nice idea ...

However, I usually charge my Nexus5X (USB-C) and listen to music (headphone jack). How is this going to be possible with just 1 port?

However, I usually charge my Nexus5X (USB-C) and listen to music (headphone jack). How is this going to be possible with just 1 port?

With an adapter that has a pass-through port for power as well.

I don't use wired headphones a lot, but I do like the option of using the 3.5mm/aux jack in other people's cars or rental cars that don't have BT. So this will be a bit annoying as phones start phasing it out. But I really don't see the advantage of dropping the port, because making phones thinner is not a good thing; they're already too thin, esp. when you consider they could be putting much larger batteries in their phones instead. But I guess they're surveying hipsters who'd rather have form over function.

This is just a terrible idea and reeks of just finding yet more avenues to squeeze people's wallets for more "features". I have yet to try a single set of BT headphones that I like.

Completely agree. Everyone in my house uses the headphone jack. They leave the bluetooth earbuds on the charger. They just aren't worth it.

I mean, just don't buy new models that don't have a headphone jack. Once the manufacturers realize people demand it, they'll reverse course.

With an adapter that has a pass-through port for power as well.

I don't use wired headphones a lot, but I do like the option of using the 3.5mm/aux jack in other people's cars or rental cars that don't have BT. So this will be a bit annoying as phones start phasing it out. But I really don't see the advantage of dropping the port, because making phones thinner is not a good thing; they're already too thin, esp. when you consider they could be putting much larger batteries in their phones instead. But I guess they're surveying hipsters who'd rather have form over function.
Such a pass through jack would have to be in the headphones itself because if it is a small adaptor it will just get lost

When you are only allowed to use licensed headphones on your phones...

aka stereo and 48 Kbit audio only works with beats on apple everyone else gets 22Kbit rate and mono.....

I don't mind if I get a nice external DAC but simple converter cables would be the worst.

When you are only allowed to use licensed headphones on your phones...

aka stereo and 48 Kbit audio only works with beats on apple everyone else gets 22Kbit rate and mono.....

Sony already beat them to the punch, Bluray spec says reduced resolution over component.

This is just a terrible idea and reeks of just finding yet more avenues to squeeze people's wallets for more "features". I have yet to try a single set of BT headphones that I like.

There's another aspect to this that makes this a major issue for some other folks:

Assistive listening. People who need to use headset jacks for medical/disability reasons. What plugs in may not be compatible anymore if it has to go through an adapter.

I have no problem with this. I haven't used my headphone jack in a long time and probably wouldn't realize its gone.

Already plan on getting another USB headset down the line.

Such a pass through jack would have to be in the headphones itself because if it is a small adaptor it will just get lost

Yeah, I meant a pass through built into the headphone plug itself.

As long as they make in-ear buds with a USB connector, I won't mind! Can't stand walking around with big ass cans on my melon.

Wouldn't be surprised if they come up with a mini-USB to 3.5mm adapter if they haven't already.

EDIT: Problem solved: Seidio Mini USB to 3.5mm Adapter - Android Audio Adapters - ShopAndroid

Just fair warning to anyone that might be looking for this, that is a MINI USB adapter. 99% of this forum will be looking for a MICRO USB adapter.

I'll admit I never use that jack but it's nice to know it's there... I hate this whole idea that they keep removing features from phones. I miss the days of removable batteries and having all sorts of slots for various uses. Just don't see that anymore.

No, this idea sucks. BT audio will never be as good as wired audio, and.. you know.. batteries and shit.

This is an extraordinarily fucked up idea.

Yes, lets add cost, extra complexity and points of failure to a simple device!! I've had many USB headphones/headsets over the years and every one of them has failed, yet the AKG240's I purchased in the 80's are still going strong (I did replace the RCA jack with a mini-stereo jack). KISS.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Luckily I couldn't give less of a shit about having a phone that's thinner by 1mm, so I'll probably still be good to go for headphones.

Hey, we should get rid of screens too. That would solve a ton of problems! Imagine being able to improve battery life, and remove features like web browsing and apps.

You know what, quite a few years ago I already dealt with having phones without a headphone jack and had to use the exact same jack for data transfer, recharging and headphone listening. It sucked complete ass then and it will suck complete ass now.

Fuck bluetooth and fuck removing headphone jacks.

'Yay lets have to charge shit and have more crap muddying up the audio and ready to break.' Fucking gimmick audio.

I have the same pair of IXOS cans from 15 years ago that still work great today. I refuse to buy a phone without a headphones jack.

So we are replacing no rf emission 3.5mm ear buds and replacing them with rf emitting BT buds and shoving them closer to the brain then cell phones ever thought about going?
What is the max number of BT ear buds in one place before they start interfering with each other? A typical sports event will likely have several hundred in range once this becomes fully implemented.

Welp no new phones for me. Wanted an S7 Edge but won't bite unless I could root the device. My wife has one and loves it though. I still have my cracked screen Note 5, may just warranty it at this point.

If phones remove the headphones jack unless I was to purchase a new car I would be screwed for using my phone to play music through Google Music in my car. This is a big deal breaker for me.

I have 3 years left to go on my 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth, it's been a long trek and an expensive one. Once it is paid off I intend to keep it and drive into the ground. Of course it has Bluetooth for phone calls only, usb for my iPod, and an auxiliary jack which I prefer to use even when using my iPod Classic.

I guess I could always tether at times and use my Galaxy Tab S2, but that is going into the realm of sillyville.

I have switched to using Bluetooth headphones myself, even for when I'm on my desktop computer. I bought myself a pair of Skullcandy Hesh 2 Wireless headphones and a USB Bluetooth adapter. I even bought a Bluetooth transceiver with headphone jack in to connect to my home theater system to watch TV in private wirelessly.

It's absolutely liberating to not have a wire going to my headphones. It's amazing to be able to open up my media player and start playing music and be able to get up from my computer desk and just roam the house all while the music is streaming wirelessly to my headphones. Bluetooth wireless headphones are amazing, I'll never go back to using a wire again.

So I'm the only one whose car doesn't have Bluetooth? I do occasionally listen to music through my car's sound system by connecting the phone with the earphone jack. Guess in the near future I'll only be using my digital audio player.

I won't be purchasing any smartphone in the near future (say 10 years out) that doesn't provide a traditional 1/8" headphone jack, just not going to do it even if that means I keep using current models for years to come.

Shit man, smartphones are turning into an analog of Windows 10 - change for the sake of change in too many respects and it's not good, not at all. :(

Ugh. So now I have to have a wireless set of headphones, much more complex than a simple wired pair that I have to worry about keeping charged?

No thanks. I avoid unnecessary wireless devices like I avoid the plague. It's bad enough that I have to worry about charging my phone. I don't want to have to worry about any other accessories.

I mean, I only use headphones on my phone once on a blue moon, maybe once every 3-4 months. What if they aren't charged the one time I need them?

No headphone jack, no phone sale. Sorry.

I've gone Bluetooth headphones. Although, when the juice runs out, I want the headphone jack so I can plug them directly to my phone if need be. Considering my Xperia Z2 does everything I need now, I don't see much need to upgrade anyways. I only upgrade, cause I get a free phone everytime I renew my contract.

I’m actually indifferent because I’ve settled on a nice pair of BT headphones, but it’s sad how people with Lightning headphones can't listen to music and charge their phones at the same time.

…this might not be so bad . Bluetooth-based headphones are already becoming more ubiquitous, and switching from an analog to digital connection opens up possibilities for making headphones more versatile down the road. (Noise canceling for everyone!) Various headphone manufacturers have already started launching USB-C - and Lightning -based models, too. Time heals all wounds. To start, though, it could be rough. For most people, the difference in audio quality between affordable Lightning or USB-C headphones and affordable 3.5mm headphones is likely to be negligible. If anything, the cheap internals in the former might make things worse.[/QUO

Blue tooth stinks sound wise. I don't want a battery next to my head. i don't want to worry about charging them, EVER.

I hate headphones to begin with. And I've got myself BT earphones a while ago, because I also hate cables, more than I hate charging. I didn't notice any ill effects in audio quality compared to regular wired but decent earphones.

I really doubt this will ever happen.
I use BT headphones, but i keep around a standard 3.5mm pair of headphones in case my battery dies. While i like the convenience of not being tethered while listening there is a reason for it. Getting rid of ports that a majority of people use is going to hurt any manufacturer who thinks this is a good idea.

Back