Don't know what to add to my watercooling

Cheetoz

[H]ard|Gawd
I have water and antifreezer, but I don't know what to do to prevent bacteria/mildew, or whatever else can occur. I had read in a thread putting in a bit of listerine, but it didn't work.

I'm not registered to the montly chemist magazine, so I don't know where to buy those special liquids from laboratories. My budget is like $5.

99.?% distilled water
1 oz antifreeze
4-5 drops of non-alcohol Iodine.

I've run my loop (with my RES in clear sunlight) for over 5 months with the following:

96% distilled water.
3% ELF racing coolant (hah marketing for antifreeze).
1% 99% ISO alcohol.

I've just been using 90% distilled, 10% pentosin (from Petra's). But I've only had my loop running for about a month.

rjblanke said:
I've just been using 90% distilled, 10% pentosin (from Petra's). But I've only had my loop running for about a month.
ditto

Before I got my MCT Fluid I ran distilled water with Swiftech's HydrX additive. It's only like $2 per bottle.

rjblanke said:

+1, 3-4 months for me.

The chemicals in pentosin (or any anti-freeze for that matter) should prevent any organic growth.

just use 1/2 distilled water and 1/2 antifreeze. I use the low tox.

Punx_Clever said:
Anti-freeze will kill the baddies just fine. Nothing else needed
QFT

steam distilled water and about 1/2 shotglass of zerex 4+ years, no prob.

but it didn't work.
Are you saying you had stuff growing ? If so you need to flush out and clean the entire system carefully. Dont use tap water for anything, distilled water is less than a buck a gallon at the grocery store. Put a teaspoon of clorox in a gallon and soak your hoses in it, brush them out or use a CLEAN LINT FREE rag on a wire. rinse well with just distilled water. Dont put any of your copper parts in the clorox water, it will turn them black.

look for posts on rad flush/cleaning. same deal, rinse only with distilled water. Be like you going to do surgery, after you clean something, wrap it in plastic wrap till you ready to put it all back together.

BillParrish said:
QFT

steam distilled water and about 1/2 shotglass of zerex 4+ years, no prob.

Distilled water is water that has essentially been steamed :)

loxety said:
Distilled water is water that has essentially been steamed :)

Not necessarly in all cases, but yea, 99% of the time, but I made sure to specify it, as most of the distilled water in the grocery store actually says "steam distilled water" on the label and while I forgot to say it, I was trying to make sure no-one grabbed de-ionized water thinking it was the same as distilled.

Glad you brought it up.

I was trying to make sure no-one grabbed de-ionized water thinking it was the same as distilled.

De-ionized water is fine to use in your loop as well.

umm de-ionized is better than distilled I believe. The point of the distillation is to get rid of impurities which are floating around. Usually when stuff floats around in water it is in the form of an ion Na+, Pb- or whatever. De-ionization takes it even further. Theoretically de-ionized water isn't conductive because it has no ions for electrons to flow through. Of course no water is truly de-ionized because ions from the air will settle in the water quickly. This is old school chemistry so....yeah I may be a little rough on the details, but I think this is all true =).

Back