Don't trust hard drives to woot.com

RogerX

Limp Gawd
If you love woot.com (like I used to), you know they sometimes have great deals on drives. I bit on some 250GB PATA drives ($50) back in 2006, and they were DOA thanks to no padding in the box. The next shipment was much better, but right now I'm going through a nightmare-- see this thread:

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1984714

Starting at that post, and I have a followup at the bottom of the thread.

Basically, they sent three 500GB drives (for $244.97) in a box with one plastic air bubble. The box was mangled by FedEx, and the drives arrived in a split box, flopping around freely. At first, woot said they would replace the drives with a reorder, and would send it out shortly. I didn't hear anything from them for almost two weeks, so I emailed them again, and this time they tell me:

1) They are out of drives
2) I can still get a refund if I return the drives AT MY EXPENSE
3) Once we wait for the delivery and inspection of the drives, they will issue a refund... in approximately ten more business days! That'll end up being 6-7 weeks with no drives and no money, because of their poor packaging job.

Amazing. I have bought from woot.com 32 times, sellout.woot.com once, and shirt.woot.com five times. I ended up posting a negative reviw at resellerratings.com... I just wanted to warn my friends at [H] that woot.com will screw you on hard drives.

seagate502.jpg

I'm SO glad I didn't bite on the 500GB drive deal... PHEW! Sorry about your luck, good luck!

Yeah, but before the CC company will do a chargeback, the merchant has a "reasonable opportunity" to provide for refunding the money.

Yes but returning at his expense is not a reasonable solution. If they won't send a box or a label then I'd pursue the CC path.

This is why I don't buy harddrives from companies without a track record in specificly shipping HDDs (not just computer hardware in general).

To this day, I still do not buy HDDs from newegg although I just about buy everything else there. I pretty much exclusivly by my HDDs at Zipzoomfly cause they always pack them correctly.

Thanks for the heads up Roger .. I've been on the fence on getting 'fragile' things from woot, I'll do my best to avoid in the future

Back