DOOM 3 [H]ardware Guide Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
mjz_5 said:
well, it is not like you are getting an AMD XP 2400+. You are purchasing an 3200, which is significantly faster to your P4.
Well yeah, What I mean was...say...is there a big difference between a AMD 3200+ and a P4-3.2ghz

In Unreal Tournament, AMD makes all the difference, and I was just wondering if its the same with Doom 3 and an Intel based proc.

trilobyte said:
Well yeah, What I mean was...say...is there a big difference between a AMD 3200+ and a P4-3.2ghz

In Unreal Tournament, AMD makes all the difference, and I was just wondering if its the same with Doom 3 and an Intel based proc.

not sure, doom 3 is really video card dependent.. however, when win64 comes out, you'll be glad

so_cal_forever said:
Bad management would most likely be not only on Carmack, but with Hollenshed and Duffy too. So I'd say differences had the most to do with it, since Trent Reznor is pretty loaded.

i'm fairly sure reznor meant his own manager, whom he happens to be sueing due to some bullshit....
Nine Inch Nail Star Files Action Against John Malm for "Fraud and Deceit" to the Tune of Millions

This could get uglier than a Nine Inch Nail video.

Trent Reznor has sued his ex-manager (and longtime friend) John Malm, along with business manager/accountant Richard Szekelyi, charging their Ohio-based J. Artist Management (JAM) company with "fraud and breaches of fiduciary duties," and swindling millions of dollars.

So, any news on when we can expect this guide?

Sorry, couldn't help myself, I just can't wait to see those benchies! :D

Just outta curiousity, do you guys think my system can handle Doom 3? I figure it'll be close.

1.4Ghz Athlon
GeForce 3
1 GB RAM

Wow, it is VERY nice to see the [H]ardware Guide on the way.....my only hope is that the myriad of results and the wealth of numbers will finally silence people boasting about their new card.....and give new light to people that might be a little bit worried as of late. It'll be very interesting to see how a few of those setups do compare on the D3 playing field, and really.....nobody's to say. We have no idea how much low and/or medium detail may end up effecting the end performance, so who's to say it WOULDn't run half decent on a GF3.

All we can do now (other then praise Kyle of course) is sit and wait, overly anctious to see how each others systems will fair.

Leave it to [H]ard to come forth with something of this importance.....this is why I've stuck with you guys over the past couple years, and I'm proud to call myself [H]ard because of it. You go Kyle.....make us proud. :D :cool:

Blad3 said:
Sounds excellent, can't wait to see the new x800xt "vs" 6800u.

Well even though he said the cards would NOT be compared ever on the same graph I do know what you're saying.....we'll all be keeping track. ;)

I agree though, it'll definitely be nice to see the X800XT and 6800U results coming out of a system that is at least a LITTLE closer to a realistic modern day setup :rolleyes: .....I can hardly wait.

alphaone said:
So, any news on when we can expect this guide?

Sorry, couldn't help myself, I just can't wait to see those benchies! :D

Oh come on people, it's going to be 4 years before the [H] guide is released.....;)

they'll put it up "when it's done." :D

I wait with baited breath. Of course, I have a pretty good idea where my apple is gonna drop in the pile, but nevertheless it's nice to get it from the [H]

Since some are on the topic of [H] Worship... I also believe. When I reach the end of an article, I cross myself and say: "The word of [H]. Amen." :D

*Blasphemy unintended

Sounds good , am looking forward to it. I was tempted to do one of those "Do you guys think my system will be ready blah blah blah" posts, but I'll just wait for someone who has actually played and tested the game to get the verdict. I know I can play it, just depends how good it will run.

Karrde said:
Just outta curiousity, do you guys think my system can handle Doom 3? I figure it'll be close.

1.4Ghz Athlon
GeForce 3
1 GB RAM

If you upgrade anything, be sure to do the cpu first. New graphics cards dont perform near what you will see in a benchmark without a somewhat fast cpu.

wickedld9 said:
Oh come on people, it's going to be 4 years before the [H] guide is released.....;)

they'll put it up "when it's done." :D

Riiiiiiiight, even though you did throw in that little wink, that was still pretty rude and arogant of you to post.....I'll just assume you were joking and leave it at that.

You know how Carmack made that lil comment about overclocked system? How if Doom3 turns out to not only be a good game, but the perfect stability testing app too? (assuming what he said was true).

Just a thought.

cornelious0_0 said:
Riiiiiiiight, even though you did throw in that little wink, that was still pretty rude and arogant of you to post.....I'll just assume you were joking and leave it at that.

it wasn't rude nor arrogant, i have just consulted with my friend in saskatoon and she assured me they DO infact put something in the water to remove peoples sense of humour, thats why she avoids tap water apparently, perhaps you should look into one of those water dispensers with added humour ;)

Xtasy0 said:
it wasn't rude nor arrogant, i have just consulted with my friend in saskatoon and she assured me they DO infact put something in the water to remove peoples sense of humour, thats why she avoids tap water apparently, perhaps you should look into one of those water dispensers with added humour ;)

Lol!
I hear that man, after working for best buy for 3 months you begin to wonder. :p

Xtasy0 said:

yeah yeah yeah, I can be rather literal and a little to serious at times.....my bad.....we cool? :p

Hey I own a pair of SE-DIR800C dobly headphones. Will Doom3 use dolby technology or some other form of surround sound? If its Dolby I cant wait to try out doom3 with these headphones. These things are like having a home theater system in a pair of headphones........ :D

Really looking forward to this article but I would rather wait another day and see comparison graphs between cards ... How come you don't do that much Kyle?

I'm dying to hear how the Athlon XP's stick up against the A64 and P4's. The 35W XP-M + NF7-S is quite a bargain these days.

mi1stormilst said:
Really looking forward to this article but I would rather wait another day and see comparison graphs between cards ... How come you don't do that much Kyle?

Look at it this way, they are trying to keep it simple. With the large number of systems and video card being tested I believe that Kyle is trying to keep the graphs easy to read and browse through. Honestly, if you really want to see comparisons then just open the pages in different windows if you want and jump back and forth between them.....we're all perfectly able to come to our own conclusions and make our OWN comparisons using the results (in the form they will be in) that [H]ard supplies us with. I for one get kind of irritated when I site tries to do one giant comparison chart with different model/driver/clock speed numbers all over the place.....its not really the best way to do things.

Kudos to you guys for bringing us a nice read like I'm sure this guide'll be. :)

mjz_5 said:
so i purchased an audigy 2 zs for nothign :(

nicer quality cards will still output better SNR sound (hence- all cards will interally be dealing with the same sound signal- but once it gets to the output buffers and DACs on the card- the nicer cards will output a cleaner version of the same signal vs the cheap cards)

A2zs was definitly a good choice (just hope u have some nice speakers too :))

LoneWolf said:
Will the Radeon 9500 and 9700 family cards be tested as well?

even if they arent its not hard to figure out how they will perform:

ignoring overclocks, a 9700pro will perform just slightly slower than a 9800pro. A 9500pro should perform somewhere between a 9600 and 9700 Pro

COCOViper said:
even if they arent its not hard to figure out how they will perform:

ignoring overclocks, a 9700pro will perform just slightly slower than a 9800pro. A 9500pro should perform somewhere between a 9600 and 9700 Pro

I'd agree with that assessment. The 9700pro and 9800pro should be pretty close.

so i read on the main page that this thread contained information as to when the article would be posted, yet i've combed it over and have only found "this week".

anyone know when Kyle is planning on letting the cat out of the bag?

DigitalEmperor said:
so i read on the main page that this thread contained information as to when the article would be posted, yet i've combed it over and have only found "this week".

anyone know when Kyle is planning on letting the cat out of the bag?

this week.

I really hope HardOCP gave some benchmarking love to the low-end CPU's. Seeing that they go from minimum spec to a 2.4Ghz on the low-end of CPU's is a little disheartening, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, and hopefully they tested more than 2 cards on the minimum spec system.

It's already been pretty much proven that, as Carmack said, "all the modern cards run the game well". My question is, how much are those of us that have been skimping on CPU upgrades going to suffer? After all, installing a video card is about ten times easier than installing a new CPU, so there are going to be a lot of people with powerful video cards, but processors that just scrape by in the requirements.

No 9700? :p That's ok I guess, I'll just look at the 9800 scores and imagine them a little slower. Also, what's with all the Ashit boards?

For one, Abit boards are not bad. Also, Abit probably gave these boards to [H] for testing.

i'm waiting to purchase the parts for my upgrade for d3 until this guide comes out, but august 3rd is rapidly approaching and I don't know if i'll get the parts in time if i order on friday! EEK!! Save me kyle :p

Kyle, only 2 more days before the world explodes and people start ragging on you for being late and a dealer of false promises.

You can make it laddie! :cool:

vodkajello said:
Kyle, only 2 more days before the world explodes and people start ragging on you for being late and a dealer of false promises.

You can make it laddie! :cool:

Hah, you bet your ass he will....except I'll be out of town with no internet access until the 1st. :(

Vezra said:
I hope there is alot of reviews at 1024x768 with 2x AA / 2x AF since that's what I use. :D I want to see which vid card plays best at this setting. It gives me the speed I need with the right amount of IQ that I like to have. BTW, how many of you guys actually play at 1600x1200? It looks good, but that is just way to slow for me.

1600x 1200 is naitive resolution for my screen and therefore that is what I will be running.

Xtasy0 said:

ROFLFAO :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back