Doom 3, your thoughts?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
I agree that Doom 3 is very polished. It looks very good, and is a good game.
But it does not have the "WOW" factor that I thought it would have. Maybe too much hype.
Two games that came out this year that made my jaw drop were
Far Cry (not a surprise) and Riddick Escape From Butcher Bay for the XBOX.

Riddick is a awesome looking game. Looks very close to what DOOM 3 is offering, but at lower resolutions.
Seeing Doom 3's graphics is kinds like "Been there, seen that".
Maybe if Doom 3 would have been released last year it would have live up to the hype.

This is just my opinion. I really like the game. The ID Team did a wonderful job.

I've only punched the trash can (in the bathroom) around for 20 minuets, this game pwn3z!

ZenOps said:
Carmack has always had this colour issue (even in Quake I thought the entire game was too reddish-brown) tends to make me think he or his development team is partially colourblind.

I agree, but Quake 1 had a technical limitation: only 256 colors! I don't have the link, but I read an interview with Carmack in which he discussed that issue.

i think that doom 3 is just like half life and resident evil mixed together but in the other hand u got very awesome graphics and this game is very scary i think its scarier then fatal frame :p

PrkChpXprss said:
I agree, but Quake 1 had a technical limitation: only 256 colors! I don't have the link, but I read an interview with Carmack in which he discussed that issue.

You may think that he only had 16 colours in quake 1 ;). 15 different versions of brown and one red.

The game would have been a lot scarier if there were fewer monsters. I mean every room something spawns or there is some zombie hiding in the corner, spread the encounters out more make me jump at every shadow/noise and not know if some daemon is going jump out. That is what really killed the game for me. Also what is up with some of the textures? There are a few that look like they were drawn in mspaint and then blown up 400%.

Don´t worry he will be banned in the meanwhile just put him on the ignore list there is a thread just for that :)

101998 said:
There are a few that look like they were drawn in mspaint and then blown up 400%.

Big nod to that..some textures are amazing and detailed, then right next to it is one that looks recycled from doom 1.

I think about 75% of everything I read in the HardOCP review is wrong:

1) antialiasing is a must. the engine doesnt make it less necessary, it makes it much much more necessary, especially for us not running at 2500 x 1800 res.

2) resolution matters as much as in any other game. I have to play at 800x600 and it sure as hell looks like 800x600. Any other title I kick up to 1600, I know the difference.

3) the low framerates are palpable. contrary to some popular nonsense about the 'experience', when the frames are low it really does feel slow and staggered. It stays playable I suppose, but by no means as much fun as non-staggering FPS action you could get anywhere else.

My sys for comparison
Athlon Barton @ 2.34GHz
1GB ram @ 166
ati 9700 pro

My impression after the first hour of gameplay is I can't stay awake. WAY TOO SLOW. The graphics are stunning but does not make up for the boring gameplay.

Just hope the next xx hours are way better than the first.

Torquemada XP said:
- Plays very well on lower-end video cards (still playing on my 9800 Pro)

If a 9800 Pro is now considered a low-end video card, then I'm screwed...

eminor said:
I agree that Doom 3 is very polished. It looks very good, and is a good game.
But it does not have the "WOW" factor that I thought it would have. Maybe too much hype.
Two games that came out this year that made my jaw drop were
Far Cry (not a surprise) and Riddick Escape From Butcher Bay for the XBOX.

Riddick is a awesome looking game. Looks very close to what DOOM 3 is offering, but at lower resolutions.
Seeing Doom 3's graphics is kinds like "Been there, seen that".
Maybe if Doom 3 would have been released last year it would have live up to the hype.

This is just my opinion. I really like the game. The ID Team did a wonderful job.

I agree. I played through Riddick and I believe if one could hook it to a monitor and up the res alone it would look about as good as Doom 3. Riddick is the best looking Xbox game out right now hands down. Also I think Far Crys graphics are as good as Doom 3 it's just brighter where Doom 3 is darker. Just my opinion though.

Not bad...not good

Does not meet the hyped marketing....somewhat to dark at spots. Disappointing
to wait this long and NOT really get the feel that D1 or D2 had,
Agree there needs more open spaces. Just played about 3 hours to get a taste.
I like the scary stuff worls foe me.

No slowdowns on my systems fraps pegs it around 50fps most of the time...
Need to play more now.....

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this game is wayyyyyyy over-rated. The post by Torquemada XP (post #14) pretty much sums it completely up. I think the replay value on this game is going to be very short.

Also, what's the deal with plate glass windows in Doom 3? You can shoot the hell outta them without breaking them. It would have been a lot more realistic if the windows shattered when you shoot them.

The "Plays very well on lower-end video cards (still playing on my 9800 Pro)" thing got me laughing. :D

glad I stopped sucking so much, it's become more enjoyable but still nothing too special

I'm loving it so far. It's my kind of game.
Amazing graphics, even on my 9600xt
awesome sound, especially on my klipsch promedia 5.1 setup.

The early levels are very grey, but it gets better. just keep playing...

One has to question the common sense of the people in this game. These peope are scientists, working in a remote labarotory, for a company that specialized in military contracts for a significant portion of it early money. So why was no one issued or working any sort of night vision? Or bio-enhancements for their eyes? Or duct tape so they could tape lights to their guns?

Edit: This game is running great on my 9600 Pro on High at 1024x768. Tweaking the config is a great way to squeeze(SP) the extra performance out of anything.

Doom 3 and Far cry are the only first person games recently to have a nice singleplayer. Currently at the second airlock where you see the cacodemon for the first time. Im loving this game. There are points where it does get a bit dry, but it somehow redeems itself again and again.

Another note: runs very well on my 9800 pro (1024x768, Med quality, all advanced options on).

I think the darkness makes for some very scary moments, but it's a little over done. You'd think the marines of the future could have some kind of light on their damn weapons. Once a mob jumps out of the dark and scares the crap outta me, it would be nice to be able to see him enough to shoot him.

After playing for a few hours, I think this guy hit the nail on the head. I may not fully agree with his final opinion, but the points he raises are completely warranted in my opinion. Personally, I find the darkness appropriate for what they're trying to accomplish. Unfortunately for me, what they're trying to accomplish is not entirely what I consider being fun. If there was more variety and logical sense in why things were done the way they were, then maybe I'd be more sympethetic.

All in all, its a fun game...for a while. Then the analogy of 'playing the 5 scariest minutes of a horror flick over and over' comes true.

i dont care for it. just not my thing. as a matter of fact if anyone is looking for a "cheap" copy i have mine for sale in for sale forum. :p

Back