DOOM is 15 Years old! *Celebratory Thread*

Master Blaster

[H]ard|Gawd
Isn't it hard to believe it's been 15 years since one of the most epic games hit the gaming world? I can remember being blown away by Wolf 3D, then DOOM came around and I never slept much after that. I had picked up a shareware disc copy, then Ultimate and of course DOOM II. The sounds, the graphics, and the eeriness were mind-blowing. Direct modem matches with my buddies were gripping experience too. Ahh, many found memories - what's yours?

Like I need to post this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_(video_game)

If you haven't read Masters of Doom book, do yourself a favor and get it. It's a must for any fan of gaming, especially any [id] fans :)

ALl I remember is buying the shareware at Software etc. the day before leaving to go on vacation (I must have been 14?)

Package showed first person like wolf 3d (which I loved back then)

I remember that level loading up and then seeing the gun sway as I moved and was ASTOUNDED!

Wolf 3d was good but this was incredible. I think doom ruined me in terms of video games after that. The love of the PC began.

one of the best memories I have as a kid are playing at my friends dads place with a bunch of computers all networked together... eating pizza and fragging in DOOM. It was awe inspiring and quickly turned my life into a series of keyboards and computer parts that continues onto this day.

Thanks you id

I remember playing this game as a kid and being amazed with the graphics and game play.

playing doom and then doom2 over a null modem cable (50' rs232 cable FTW)
EPIC

Doom 3 doesn't get enough credit. IMO the game still stacks up as a really good looking game with some simple and intense gameplay.

I was five when Doom came out, so needless to say I didn't play it until much later. I preferred shooting Nazis in Wolf3D. I love how my parents knew nothing about videogames... I got to play *the* most violent and graphic ones as a kid :)

Doom deathmatch over the modem before meeting at Kelseys for beer and wings, truely epic.

Thanks for the memories.

This deserves a haiku..

DooM, shoot zombies on Mars
Ah fuck, a Cyberdemon!
Hope they don't find Earth!

Anyone else here use DWANGO back in the day? :)

I actually got my first taste with Doom II; saw it at Costco and had mommy buy it for me (I was maybe 10 years old). Played it on our Packard Bell 486 and had to use memmaker to get it to work. Life would not have been the same had that fateful event not taken place; teachers are always ragging about how it's not a life changing experience and I shouldn't write about it, but I always do otherwise.

Doom 95 was the first game I ever played on the PC, first first person shooter, and I Was 7 or 8 at the time, good times. Makes me wana throw that bitch into my CD rom, compatibility mode it, and rip.

oh boy

15 years!

I remember the COUNTLESS sleepless nights of playing Doom via a BNC connected network! lmfao.

2 player deathmatch doom was fun.
but it was nothing like 4 players and each one trying to go for the BFG or getting killed by a stray rocket or mowed down with the plasma rifle...

Or best yet.. being killed in wait by invisble with the dbl barrel shotgun ;)

fun times!

I used to camp right inside a doorway with the BFG. I discovered that the amount of time it took the doors to open was the exact same amount of time it took the BFG to charge.

That and telefragging people was the best!:D

My dad taught me how to silence BFG fire. Basically, fire the BFG and instantly hump a wall (or press your use key on a wall). The sound of the "hmph!" cancels the BFG sound, then you jump out from behind cover and totally surprise Mr. Green/Indigo/Brown/Red with a green orb to die for.

We used to play doom 2 at work on our lan after hours, and figured out how to modify the wad files, etc. We modified rocket launchers to shoot exploding barrels at people, and how to make ourselves invisible to other players. Cloaking barrel launching H4X for the win!

ah, the game that brought us online cooperative multiplayer.

i still remember the horrible modem noises like it was just yesterday.

Oh man 15 years already. Mid '90's were the best ever for gaming, Doom, Duke 3D, Wolfenstein, Heretic, Hexen, Quake, Descent, etc. Games today may have much better graphics and plots, but something about those old games still gives them a special place in history.

My first game was Commander Keen. I subscribed to a shareware service (Softdisk) Well, the disk was bad, so I called the number on the disk to get a new one. Well it was Carmack himself that I spoke with and he sent me a new disk.

But DOOM, well that was the hook. My life was literally changed like many of you.

Another haiku to commemorate the occasion...

Doom II, Hell's on earth...
Eat double barrel shotgun!
Die pinky demons!

Oh no! Mastermind!
His gatlin gun hurts like hell
B.F.G. I win!

the original red alert and doom were my favorite games. I remember lanning those games until 5 in the morning all summer long when i was 14 or so. Very good times. Especially blasting my own friends with the rocket launcher in doom.

I remember purchasing the shareware *god its been a long time* back at Software Ect... It scared me so badly that night, especially those damn pink monsters in that maze cooridor, couldn't sleep for weeks. I begged for them to give me my money back the next day, which they did cause I was almost in tears.

One of the games I actually purchased as a high school student. I remember putting up the enclosed 24x36 poster on my wall of the space marine shooting down legions of imps. Probably not the best way to decorate your room if you're interested in girls at that age.

I also bought the ultimate doom package that came out a few years later that was a compilation of all doom levels created to date.

Doom and Wolf 3d were also my first games on PC, also Dune. All were great but Doom definitely took the cake. I've been sold on PC games ever since.

Anyone ever read the 4 Doom series books? I read through them multiple times when i was a kid and i can remember picturing the game as i read which made for a very intense experience. Still have them sitting on a shelf in my office.

I first played Doom on PS1. Unbelievably addicting. One of the all time greatest video games.

Oh man 15 years already. Mid '90's were the best ever for gaming, Doom, Duke 3D, Wolfenstein, Heretic, Hexen, Quake, Descent, etc. Games today may have much better graphics and plots, but something about those old games still gives them a special place in history.

Heretic, I loved that game running around with the wand, wasted a lot of hours there

Back