dot pitch on lcds

But how does the dot pitch affect text (and image) crispness? If it's smaller, it should be more crisp, but at the same time it results in smaller text (and images) hence it is possible for to get eyestrain because the objets on the screen are smaller. If it's larger, eyestrain is less probable to appear, but text may not be as sharp. Am I getting this right? 17`` LCD usually have a 0.264 dot pitch while 19`` have 0.294 dot pitch. so which one is better?

I know that this is an old thread, but i am in a situation where i have to make a choise between the 1905fp and 2005fpw.

It is only to be used for word processing and internet surfing and like. The widescreen vs not widescreen is not to be discussed - that is not important. Money is not an issue either.

I just want to know this: Which one will be more comfortable for the eyes? The answer to this question decides which one i will get.

Best regards

I can only tell you my experience Mach3. I had bought a Viewsonic vp930b from zipzoomfly.com a couple weeks ago. I heard VERY good things about this monitors predecessor(the vp191b) on Tom's Hardware, behardware.com and others. In many ways I was quite happy with it. With it's 1000:1 contrast ratio, colors looked Beautiful and more vivid than on my 17" CRT and with it's good response rate games ran well also.

The deal breaker was how sh*tty text rendered on the thing. And yes I had it on the DVI hook-up(also tried analog in case there was a problem with my vid card's DVI port or the DVI cable - no difference) and I was running the monitor in native resolution.

The text looked way more "jaggy" than on my 17" CRT monitor. The main reason I was going from a CRT to a bigger LCD was to be more productive. Everywhere I read text was better on LCD's!?! And indeed it was sharper than on my CRT but in the case of a 0.294 dot pitch 19" LCD monitor, the "sharpness" only served to show off how jaggy it looked.

I'm currently thinking about getting either the Gateway FPD2185w or Samsung 214T(both 0.27 dot pitch monitors), or possibly a Dell 2005fpw(0.258 dot pitch). Text should look much smoother on them. Although I can't speak to how big or readable text will look on them I know I'm NOT getting another 19" LCD. Except for ordering a Dell - No more ordering a monitor "sight unseen" for me. I'll wait to go look at one in a store and see how the text looks before buying. As for Dell, their monitors are not in local stores, but at least they have a good return policy if unhappy with it.

KeithM said:
The text looked way more "jaggy" than on my 17" CRT monitor. The main reason I was going from a CRT to a bigger LCD was to be more productive. Everywhere I read text was better on LCD's!?! And indeed it was sharper than on my CRT but in the case of a 0.294 dot pitch 19" LCD monitor, the "sharpness" only served to show off how jaggy it looked.
Did you enable ClearType?

Yes I enabled cleartype. It just seemed to bold the text - but it didn't make it look any better.

Funny, cleartype is supposed to be for making text on LCD's look better. It did squat for the text on the 19" LCD I tried but it smoothed out my 17" CRT's text beautifully :D

For me image quality is most important when picking a monitor and a smaller dot pitch is alot better. As far as I know LCD's smallest dot pitch is around .27. In 2001 I had a .25 dot pitch CRT monitor and then a couple of years later I bought a .20 CRT monitor. The difference is huge. The monitors image is so much sharper and crisp. Having as small of a dot pitch you can get is an important graphic upgrade. Its as important as buying a good video card. You cant imagine the difference until youve seen it but its significant. I will always buy a monitor that has the smallest dot pitch I can find.

Samsung has a 21in .20 CRT for around $500 and a 19in .20 CRT for around $230 on Newegg. I recommend those to you.

Check out http://www.prismo.ch/comparisons/desktop.php

I like the text on 17" but not enough screen real esate.

I like the size of 19" but the dot pitch is a bit too big and the text not as crisp.

I find 20" too small (I am 52 and don't have the greatest eye sight) for 1600 x 1200.

I am waiting for the Samsung 214T as I think 21" is the sweet spot for 1600 x 1200.

Back