DOTA2 Gamescon Tourny: 1 Million USD to winning team

Shlomo

2[H]4U
http://dota2.com/
http://blog.dota2.com/

inb4 "LoL is a better game"

So yeah... now with HoN adopting the trashy F2P system i've only been more excited about DOTA2. This is pretty much just icing on the cake now because it's showing Valve's commitment to make DOTA2 a seriously competitive game by hosting this tournament and inviting quite literally, the 16 best DOTA teams and flying them out to Germany for this.

Heres to hoping a more inclusive closed beta starts soon so I can finagle an invite from them or a friend that gets in.

HoN is a better game.

Damn, forgot that one. It's a better game than DotA because it's got all the DotA mechanics and then all the features a standalone game provides (you know, things like pause, remake, extensive stats, replays, great spectator UI, stuff that LoL forgets about...)

But DotA2 is promising all of those on top of the original DotA hero pool, and as much as I like a few S2 heroes, i'm seriously missing Skeleton King, Dark Seer, and Furion. They were my homies man....

Anyone else notice how like half the teams are from China?

They breed them for these games...:D

Anyone else notice how like half the teams are from China?

They breed them for these games...:D

Or they have an oppressive government, so people play video games to escape their shitty reality.

It's like partying here. Here you can get all drunk and break some stuff, and you'll sit in jail for a couple hours and pay a fine. Over there, the laws are much more strict, so if they want to have any sort of fun that's not prescribed by the government, it's got to be virtual fun.

At least with Dota 2 you don't have to worry about the servers one day just vanishing because Valve ran out of money like you do with S2 who seem like they have trouble just keeping the lights on.

At least with Dota 2 you don't have to worry about the servers one day just vanishing because Valve ran out of money like you do with S2 who seem like they have trouble just keeping the lights on.

I will be picking up dota2 but I still love these silly statements. Have been playing HoN since 2009 and its still going strong 2 years later...not sure why I should be worried about keeping the lights on.

S2? and I agree with HoN > LOL, never cared for LoL...

Still somewhat like/enjoy DoTA, but it really REALLY needs an over haul and DoTA2 may be the game to do it. Hopefully they can get matches to less then 45min's on average, even with gold/xp increases the games don't seem shorter at all.

Valve is really trying to capture all players from LoL and HoN with a tournament like this.

Where did you hear that S2 is having those kind of troubles?

LoL has always been a better experience for me so LoL > HoN.

But Dota 2 is what I really wanna play , I must have it soon!

Also 1 million? Damn. Now that's a proper prize.

Too bad it's only for 16 teams. I could imagine that a lot of players would love for a chance to win 1 mil, but aren't part of those originally established 16 teams.

I can't think of any video games tournament that awards 1 million dollars to the winner :eek:

I bet these contestant are going to be busting their ass to hell and back preparing for this

It'll be interesting to see how this type of marketing works compared to the more traditional.

I've never developed an interest in DOTA style games, beyond finding the raging amusing, so it'll be interesting to see how much coverage I see of the game without looking for it specifically.

Wonder what % of that $1 million goes to the team sponsors? One of my friends was on a WoW e-sports team that one the arena tourny @ Blizzcon one year and the sponsors took the lions share of the spoils..

Disclaimer: I play HoN.

A highly competitive game will not sell well in the mass market. The barrier to entry needs to be relaxed while keeping a high skill cap. I think LoL has done that much better than HoN, its just a shitty interface and art style. The announcer, graphics, and setting of HoN make it much more intense and I like that (even though a 1700 can smurf and shit all over me).

Just because Valve gives away a million dollars to a winner of a small tourney doesn't mean this game will be a hit.

A highly competitive game will not sell well in the mass market. The barrier to entry needs to be relaxed while keeping a high skill cap. I think LoL has done that much better than HoN, its just a shitty interface and art style. The announcer, graphics, and setting of HoN make it much more intense and I like that (even though a 1700 can smurf and shit all over me).

Just because Valve gives away a million dollars to a winner of a small tourney doesn't mean this game will be a hit.

I don't want this game to be as large as LoL. To do that would mean cutting out everything that makes DOTA a better game.

This game is being heavily backed by valve who also owns the biggest online distributor of pc games on the internet. Chances are that it will sell big based off of that a lone. I'm sure that casual gamers could still have a lot of fun playing DOTA 2. Casual gamers have a lot of fun playing SC2 and CS, and both of those games are very in depth.

As for LoL, My biggest problem with that game is that there aren't as many game play mechanics as DOTA (no denying, no courier, most skills are instant hit, etc).

This game is being heavily backed by valve who also owns the biggest online distributor of pc games on the internet. Chances are that it will sell big based off of that a lone. I'm sure that casual gamers could still have a lot of fun playing DOTA 2. Casual gamers have a lot of fun playing SC2 and CS, and both of those games are very in depth.

As for LoL, My biggest problem with that game is that there aren't as many game play mechanics as DOTA (no denying, no courier, most skills are instant hit, etc).

The problem with HoN is that most of the high end players are professional internet douche nuggets. The game is a breeding ground for trolling, memes and retarded internet drama. SC2 seems to do a good job keeping casual players playing with casual players. I can watch players like AngryTestie shit on 1600s all day long on JTV on one of his many smurf accounts.

SC2 is a full price game, so people think twice before getting alternate accounts for it.

What it will be when Dota 2 is out:

Dota 2 > HoN > DotA > LoL

This is good for the genre since a lot of HoN/LoL/Dota players will be jumping the boat to Valve's Dota game.

LoL has far more players than HoN, try again sir.

It'll be like Dota 2> LoL> HoN> Dota

LoL has far more players than HoN, try again sir.

It'll be like Dota 2> LoL> HoN> Dota

Something tells me he isn't talking about player count here, cause if he did it'd be more like

LoL ---------------------------------------------------------------> DotA2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>DotA->HoN

But, if you take a gander at every other game ever made, you'd see that player count doesn't particularly mean much when it comes to how viable a game is for competitive play.

dota gets six million downloads every new patch, i suspect its player count is slightly higher then lols.
also the million bucks is brilliant marketing by valve

I'm pretty sure Valve's main goal in this endeavor is to make a good community. I'm pretty sure it's going to be free to play. I'm pretty sure Valve has been working on "behind the game" stuff to make it likable by a large population. Valve's primary focus in this project isn't the game, but the community, and how it grows. That's my guess.

I'm pretty sure Valve's main goal in this endeavor is to make a good community. I'm pretty sure it's going to be free to play. I'm pretty sure Valve has been working on "behind the game" stuff to make it likable by a large population. Valve's primary focus in this project isn't the game, but the community, and how it grows. That's my guess.

You worried me with the "valve" and "community". Have you ever tried to play a public game of L4D or...well pretty much anything :p

In SC2 and CS a random teammate can fuck your team at the hero select screen, you don't look at the screen and say OMG HE PICKED TERRAN WE LOSE. There is just too much team style meta game that is in this game to make it viable to the mass market. In LoL they relaxed it a bit were a pub team can pick a line up and be succesful. In HoN you will get a team with four agility carries and are doomed from the start. The only way to sustain a game like this (as it will have a small community) is a P2P model, even if it is microtransactions.

I took like HoN because of the reasons you listed, higher skill cap and I am sick in the head. But for every one of you and me there are 10 people who think the complexity isn't fun, you need that market to be viable.

The problem with HoN is that most of the high end players are professional internet douche nuggets. The game is a breeding ground for trolling, memes and retarded internet drama. SC2 seems to do a good job keeping casual players playing with casual players. I can watch players like AngryTestie shit on 1600s all day long on JTV on one of his many smurf accounts.

SC2 is a full price game, so people think twice before getting alternate accounts for it.

This is what Valve will need to handle first and formost. Smurfing is ridiculous, I know you are better at the game than me but S2 seems to encourage this type of behavior. You have to separate your player bases, but it is tough to do in such a team oriented game.

dota gets six million downloads every new patch, i suspect its player count is slightly higher then lols.
also the million bucks is brilliant marketing by valve

You don't think that they have all keep playing DotA because it is free do you? They will have to shell out for DotA 2.

I personally believe that DotA 2 will take HoN's player base and the original DotA. We will then have two distict games in the MOBA genre, LoL (more casual) and DotA 2.

I personally have spent money on both HoN and LoL...and will be getting DotA 2. Looking forward to it.

I'm a bit lost.

They are having a tournament but the game isn't out yet?

Did I miss the Internet memo? What the hell is 'smurfing'. I don't know what it is, but I already feel like slapping anyone who says it.

WOW. I just saw the one million mark. Does anyone know specifically where it will broadcast?

WOW. I just saw the one million mark. Does anyone know specifically where it will broadcast?

Their main DOTA2 page says it will be broadcast (doesn't specify where) but below it says to keep checking that page.

So I'm hoping it will be through their site.

Back