Double Fine's Massive Chalice

Personally, I have a hard time getting into any video game that is "turn-based".

It looks like a good game. I just don't like that Double Fine seems to be developing a business strategy of funding all of their future games through kickstarter.

It looks like a good game. I just don't like that Double Fine seems to be developing a business strategy of funding all of their future games through kickstarter.

Typically, you finish pre-production on one game and start pre-production on another. A studio can't stay afloat in the interim. Once they release their adventure game, and (if) it sells well, they can possibly afford to self publish their next title. It's not financially viable to have no overlap in your projects as an independant studio unless you are massively fortunate.

He mentioned Final Fantasy Tactics being an inspiration. I'm backed it just because of that.

I've been looking for a comparable TBS for years.

This does look interesting. Crusader Kings style but with a Game of Thrones medieval fantasy setting and actual battles to play out? That would be good. Glad to see TBS coming back. They were big when I started pc gaming. I might drop $20. The only KS I have contributed to so far has been Jagged Alliance Flashback. This may be my second. I'll keep an eye on it. :)

Hey, how about you release your last kickstarter game before you begging for more cash!

Aww screw it, I'm in for $20.

I think I'll wait for some in game stuff to show up before I really become interested.

A medieval TBS is attractive though, but they haven't finished the first, I don't want to back up a 2nd project when the first isn't even out. Regardless of who it is. And I didn't like Brutal Legend much, and haven't really played the others.

At least the crowd funded games are being made on MAC and Linux. Games funded by gamers shouldn't be subjected to the same marketing BS that funded games go through "it's not worth it" crap.

I think I'll wait for some in game stuff to show up before I really become interested.

A medieval TBS is attractive though, but they haven't finished the first, I don't want to back up a 2nd project when the first isn't even out. Regardless of who it is. And I didn't like Brutal Legend much, and haven't really played the others.
TBS with heavy melee seems, idk, hard to make work. Once in melee range the tactical part seems like it would be gone and it would just be a stats thing.

At least the crowd funded games are being made on MAC and Linux. Games funded by gamers shouldn't be subjected to the same marketing BS that funded games go through "it's not worth it" crap.

Because in the real world people don't use Linux for games, and people who choose non gaming OSes, should have no logical expectation of playing games on systems not designed for games. There is very little reason is targeting mainstream games to >5% or >1% of the audience, and this fallacy is ridiculous for most people.

If you think otherwise, point out all the games being targeted to only crApple/Linux.

I love turn-based games, probably one of my favorite genres, but I wouldn't give a goddamn dime to Tim Schafer. The guy needs some serious help when it comes to project scope and making budget conscious decisions...

The only Tim Schafer game I didn't like (more like never got into it, 2 hours in I put it back into its case and never touched it again) was Brutal Legend. I loved Full Throttle, Monkey island 1 and 2, Psychonauts, Stacking was fun and my all time favorite game Grim Fandando. Even though I haven't played it yet my sister loves Costume Quest, I also own but haven't played The Cave (no ps3) but the reviews are good.

Im confident that this one will be good......just late.

Last edited:
Back