DoubleSight DS-240WB 24" Monitor

DMP

n00b
Hello,
I was rather surprised to see this monitor show up out of the blue today: :confused:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824185004

According to this, it's a "Samsung s-pva" 24 inch 1920x1200 panel on a comparatively thick bezel. Typical DVI with no HDMI. However, anyone who sees this will immediately be struck by the price: $529 USD. That's Dell territory.

At any rate, I did a few searches on it and turned up very little. What's the story on this screen? Why so cheap? What's the catch?

regards,

At any rate, I did a few searches on it and turned up very little. What's the story on this screen? Why so cheap? What's the catch?
We'll you will notice that monitor doesn't have a component input as Dell's does, the company I've never even heard of, so its new and wants to break in the market, and it probably doesnt come with a 3 year no bullshit warranty like Dell generally has.

They might also get the panels that Dell rejects for quality reasons, it's hard to say.

It sounds bad but, Dell typically stands behind their products, which is why I personally tend to go with them. So your catch, nothing beyond probably a lacking warranty and the lack of a component input, possibly a different scaler chip.

Odd... this one's got ... speakers!? :rolleyes:

So your catch, nothing beyond probably a lacking warranty and the lack of a component input, possibly a different scaler chip.

Yes this is probably it. I've never heard of this brand but it is apparently based out of S. Korea like Samsung and LG.

Still, I'm wondering how this one compares with the usual (24") suspects.

Probably some of the new cheap 24" monitors showing up use the 24" TN panel, as the Samsung 245B (as opposed to 245T) will. Not true of this DoubleSight apparently though, if the 178 degree viewing angle is correct.

btw, I didn't see any mention of HDCP in the NewEgg description.

Probably some of the new cheap 24" monitors showing up use the 24" TN panel, as the Samsung 245B (as opposed to 245T) will. Not true of this DoubleSight apparently though, if the 178 degree viewing angle is correct.
As DMP mentioned, the newegg description explicitly says "Panel Type: Samsung S-PVA", which I found surprising, since you usually have to dig a little deeper to find this info.

As DMP mentioned, the newegg description explicitly says "Panel Type: Samsung S-PVA", which I found surprising, since you usually have to dig a little deeper to find this info.

or perhaps the egg is finally realizing consumers like us all want to know what panel it is, and to anyone who doesn't know what the panel differences are it doesn't matter :)

Back