DoubleSight DS-263N - 26"

They received my defective unit last week Tuesday, and shipped the new replacement the same day within a matter of hours out, and I got my new unit on Monday. They shipped DHL ground. The new unit has the polarizer and one pink stuck pixel in the middle/right of the screen. I may massage the pixel to see if I can get it to work. Its so great, not to have the white glow anymore. The RMA process for me took 12 days including weekends.

I didn't have to take pictures, my defective unit had over 10 stuck pixels.

They who? DS? BB, NewEgg?

I just went to the best buy site again to see if they had the monitor in stock, and I can't even find the listing for it anymore. Doublesight isn't listed under "all brands" of monitors, and the 263 isn't listed under all monitors 23" and up. Seems like they aren't offering this brand anymore.

If this isn't just a web database issue or pilot error on my part then I expect they will be telling people who preordered while they were out of stock that their order is cancelled.

I just went to the best buy site again to see if they had the monitor in stock, and I can't even find the listing for it anymore. Doublesight isn't listed under "all brands" of monitors, and the 263 isn't listed under all monitors 23" and up. Seems like they aren't offering this brand anymore.

If this isn't just a web database issue or pilot error on my part then I expect they will be telling people who preordered while they were out of stock that their order is cancelled.

I will talk to my friend who works at Best Buy and see what he can find out about this.

They who? DS? BB, NewEgg?

Oh I'm sorry, I sent my defective unit directly to Doublesight (California) via UPS Ground which took 6 days, they sent out a new replacement same day, and it also took 6 days to reach me via DHL Ground.

The new replacement as the polarizer and it makes a world of difference. No more white glow is phenomenal.

I also got my replacement directly from Doublesight. It appears the replacement has the polarizer.

While it makes a difference, I wouldn't say it's a huge difference. The white glow was bothersome at large view angles on a dark screen. Now I have either red or green glow, but it's not as pronounced.

I use this monitor in a white room with lots of peripheral window lighting, so it may be the environment that is making the difference for me. I don't use the monitor in a dark room.

Those of you with a Doublesight DS-263N.... can you do me a favor?

With the display lowered as far as it will go, how many inches are between the bottom of the screen and the desk?

I read through most, but not all of this thread. I'm considering purchasing either the DoubleSight or the more expensive Planar. I have a few questions:

1. It seems to be very common that the DoubleSights ship with a few dead or stuck pixels. Do you think that DoubleSight's price is lower than Planar's because they only purchase a lower quality or grade of panel from the OEM panel maker? In other words, would you be more likely to get a perfect panel if you bought the Planar?
2. Does anyone know if the newest Planars that are shipping contain the polarizer? I read that Planar didn't have the polarizer, but was that just early on, similar to the first DoubleSights?
3. Finally, has anyone done a careful test of the input lag on either the DoubleSight or the Planar? I read that it was low, but how low?

Thanks.

Somewhere in the mdidle of the planar thread there's one using columns dropping down the screen. the planar was << 1 frame.

I read through most, but not all of this thread. I'm considering purchasing either the DoubleSight or the more expensive Planar. I have a few questions:

1. It seems to be very common that the DoubleSights ship with a few dead or stuck pixels. Do you think that DoubleSight's price is lower than Planar's because they only purchase a lower quality or grade of panel from the OEM panel maker? In other words, would you be more likely to get a perfect panel if you bought the Planar?
2. Does anyone know if the newest Planars that are shipping contain the polarizer? I read that Planar didn't have the polarizer, but was that just early on, similar to the first DoubleSights?
3. Finally, has anyone done a careful test of the input lag on either the DoubleSight or the Planar? I read that it was low, but how low?

Thanks.

1. Doublesight and Planar use the same panel. The features that boost the Planar's price is their brand (Doublesight being fairly new to the LCD scene) but most of all the Planar model has better ergonomics. Please keep in mind that almost all LCDs have dead pixels especially larger panels 24"+ as they have more pixels increasing the likelihood. Since Doublesight is shipping their units with the polarizer that is featured in professional grade Dispays (NEC), I would assume Doublesight is not getting the ultra low grade panels. Mine only has 1 stuck pixel.

2. I'm not sure about the Planar, but the first Doublesight units did not ship with the polarizer. Now it seems most Doublesight units do ship with the polarizer.

3. Both Planar and Doublesight use the same panel, so expect the same results regarding input lag.

With regard to motion, blur and lag. The doublesight 26" IPS is a bit less responsive (blur wise) than my HP lp2065 20" IPS display. Doublesight is still great from a gamers perspective and the input lag is not a factor here.

Thanks.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032194456&postcount=70

I didn't see that particular test in the Planar thread, but the stopwatch test for the planar indicated less than 1 frame, same as the doublesight. How much less is hard to tell precisely with that program, but there's no reason to think it's any different from the DS.

I just received my 3rd monitor today (sent 2 back - first was a Newegg RMA then did an RMA with DoubleSight). The first one had the polarizer, but the last 2 did not. This one has 2 stuck pixels, which is about average for the 3 I had, but at least they are not in the middle of the screen. It does have noticeable banding in a black to white gradient image and I can't seem to make it go away with any adjustments.

I would have liked a near perfect screen, but this one is good enough for me. Plus it costs too much in shipping to keep doing RMAs.

I too wondered if I would have had better luck with the Planar. Maybe Planar is getting better quality panels and that along with the height adjustable stand are why they cost more? I chose the DoubleSight because it was over $200 cheaper, and even with the RMAs it ended up over $100 cheaper.

I just received my 3rd monitor today (sent 2 back - first was a Newegg RMA then did an RMA with DoubleSight). The first one had the polarizer, but the last 2 did not. This one has 2 stuck pixels, which is about average for the 3 I had, but at least they are not in the middle of the screen. It does have noticeable banding in a black to white gradient image and I can't seem to make it go away with any adjustments.

I would have liked a near perfect screen, but this one is good enough for me. Plus it costs too much in shipping to keep doing RMAs.

I too wondered if I would have had better luck with the Planar. Maybe Planar is getting better quality panels and that along with the height adjustable stand are why they cost more? I chose the DoubleSight because it was over $200 cheaper, and even with the RMAs it ended up over $100 cheaper.

I doubt it, they should be using the same panel. Probably a matter of luck with either one, as with any other large LCD monitor.

I purchased 3 of the Doublesight monitors. All of them were "perfect": had the polarizer, did not have any dead/stuck pixels, significant backlight bleeding or any other defects.

Hey Guys, was just reading over at anands the DS-263N is on its way this week and it will feature the filter, newegg should have them instock soon.

Moto

Any recent reviews of this monitor floating around?

I think it's come down to this or one of the NEC's for me.

Do you mean www.anandtech.com? I can find no information about the DoubleSight at that website.

It was a post by a forum member in the LCD thread he's referring to I think:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2049206&enterthread=y&STARTPAGE=87

Originally posted by: Epix
Got this from DoubleSight today:

Rick,
The DS-263N has been constrained the last few weeks. We are shipping stock this week. I believe New Egg will be among the first to receive inventory and they will accept a back order for you. The filter is a current feature. Thank you, DoubleSight

"The filter is a current feature."
Sounds as if the stock they are sending out will all have the polarizer...at least for a while! Boy this is getting tempting.

The polarized version has a decent low brightness at 0, right? Suitable for prolonged coding in a dim room?

I cannot wait for this to get in stock somewhere, I am ready to buy and if I could I would get two right now.

"The filter is a current feature."
Sounds as if the stock they are sending out will all have the polarizer...at least for a while! Boy this is getting tempting.

That is all I need to decide. I already place an order with buy.com

I will talk to my friend who works at Best Buy and see what he can find out about this.

Nevermind, I was confusing best-buy with buy.com.

Just placed my order from buy.com for $680 + overnight shipping. Hopefully will report back on the weekend!

Anyone find any of these in stock anywhere? Ive found a few places but they want $60-100 more then everywhere else. Neweggs been claiming they will be in stock tomorrow...for the past 3 days,

I tried to use my Philips DVP-5960 DVD player to the DS-263n connected through the HDMI connector to DVI and did not get any signal.

Moto

Anyone find any of these in stock anywhere? Ive found a few places but they want $60-100 more then everywhere else. Neweggs been claiming they will be in stock tomorrow...for the past 3 days,

They are on their way to the vendors. Just backorder it at a reputable place like newegg (they will probably get it first) or buy.com (save some money if you don't mind waiting a bit).

I tried to use my Philips DVP-5960 DVD player to the DS-263n connected through the HDMI connector to DVI and did not get any signal.

Moto

But just to confirm, people are using this monitor with PS3's for games and for movies - right?

Few questions for you guys...

Does your panel reset some settings when it goes into sleep mode occasionally? If not, what do you think causes this problem?

When you look at your panel from the sides and see green or red, are those colors fairly uniform? I notice these colors, but in a somewhat patchy way like a drapery for lack of a better word.

Has anyone been able to get Doublesight tech support via phone or email? I feel like they don't have a support department right now, as I've been trying to contact them for several days with no sign of acknowledgment. I want to speak with them about my issues before I do or do not RMA my panel to Newegg, but I'm almost out of time on the RMA clock.

There is a burn up period as soon as you start the monitor therefore the colors gradually become brighter, I would say it takes about 10 secs for colors to come to their original state. Red and green tints depend on the lighting in the room. If there is a room light reflecting on the monitor surface the tinting is not uniform otherwise it is fairly consistent.

@Moto and anyone else that can answer

Did you try both DVI ports? I've seen at least one monitor where only one port was HDCP.

OK, I'm apparently confused about this polarizer issue. I've narrowed my purchase down to either the DoubleSight DS-263N or the Planar PX2611 W. I know they're supposed to use the same panel. I've also read that the Planar didn't have the polarizer while the newest DoubleSights did. But where is this mysterious polarizer located? Wouldn't it have to be built into the panel or is it just placed on top of the panel? To try to determine if the latest Planars had the polarizer, I sent an e-mail to their technical support. This was their answer, though it seems like they're just talking about LCD panels in general.

Most if not all LCD displays have a polarizer, they are mostly used to angle light directionally so that it passes through the LCD when the LCD material is "open", similar to a shutter. The thing that effects viewing angle the most is the type of LCD display. The PX2611W uses H-IPS (same as DoubleSight). Both displays also have the same viewing angle.

One thing you might want to note is our warranty. We have a 3 year advanced exchange policy which includes shipping both ways.

Thanks for your interest.

So I ask you. Is there really a difference between how the DoubleSight and Planar look when viewed from a horizontal angle? Does DoubleSight truly add an extra polarizer, or has the panel OEM just improved the panel since initial release and both companies now buy the same panel which should look the same?

This is a tough decision...I don't know whether I should stick with my Dell 2001FP or not...Wow, I just realized how old my signature is...

Nobody knows for sure because the companies offering these monitors don't even know what's going on. The NEC monitors came out before the Planar and DoubleSight monitors and have never had the white glow, so it's not a newer panel. I'm guessing the A-TW polarizer is an optional feature that replaces the standard polarizer. Nobody has reported getting a Planar without the white glow, so I don't know if newer ones are different.

Back