DoubleSight DS-263N - 26"

Squidmaster said:
I have read a bit about only one port working with HDMI... which one is it?
I haven't seen any difference between the two ports. Both can be used with HDMI. This monitor seems to have HDCP trouble with some devices like cable boxes, but that affects both ports. It works with the PlayStation 3 though.

Hi. I'm new here and just wanted to tell everyone thanks for the great info over the past few weeks. I've learned so much about LCD technology from these threads!

I ordered this monitor from NewEgg last night. I knew I would have to act fast since it always goes out of stock so quickly. I can't wait to use it with my new MBP. I have about a million photos to edit and this baby is going to help so much. Seeing this monitor compared to the ACD is what sold me. The ACD at my school look amazing, and in the photo this looked even better. Also NewEgg now has it listed as featuring a polarizer. So no polarizer lottery! I'm looking forward to those deeper black levels at angles. I was also trying to decide if I should wait for the A01 revision on the Dell 2408wfp. It just seems like it was plagued with too many problems. The main points that I like about this monitor is that its H-IPS for great color and it does gaming pretty well with low lag. Thats hard to find, I've been looking at about every monitor out there! I'm a photography student and do some occasional gaming when things aren't too busy. I'm hoping this is the perfect fit that it seems to be. I just hope its not TOO big. 26" seems like a bit of overkill to me right now, but I'm sure this will be commonplace in most households over the next few years. I will probably post pictures when it arrives. Hope it gets here soon!

My DS-263N arrived today. Less than 48 hr turn around from newegg.

Won't have time to really play with it until tomorrow. My initial thoughts can be summed up in one word.......DAMN!!

The quick rundown is as follows:
Polarizer: Yes
Dead/Stuck Pixels: two stuck sub pixels - red, but not in center and thus far not a bother.
Back Light bleed: None that I can tell
Brightness: I will definitely be reducing brightness as one of my initial adjustments
General: Colors are crisp and vibrant. I can't get over the size. I upgraded from a 17" LCD and the difference is incredible. Wide screen is also an enjoyable change. I could not get a signal from the dvi cable so have to run it via vga. Probably due to my ancient video card but I will call DS support tomorrow. Connecting cables was a bit tricky as I have large hands and the access area is a tight squeeze with the stand connected.
Thus far I am very pleased with the purchase. It should be near perfect for my needs once I make some color/brightness adjustments. I will use this mainly for photo and video editing, as well as general office work. This is a lot of monitor for the money and quality seems to be very good. I've shopped around and I believe this is the best value out there right now.

Wow, you just can't get this monitor. I was just about to order from newegg, and now out of stock for the next month.

This will seriously never ship from Buy.com, will it?
No kidding, what's up with buy.com? Aren't they in the big leagues with Newegg, and not many miles from 'em?

I hope DoubleSight isn't singling out Newegg for the best screens, too.

I pulled the trigger with NewEgg last night on an impulse. Was gonna wait on Buy.com but eh. It's in Step 5, I wonder if they'll ship it or if they just processed it thinking they had it but it had sold out. I guess we'll see!

Did they only make three of these things? How can one thread cause mass shortages of a product?

Did they only make three of these things? How can one thread cause mass shortages of a product?

It's been going in and out of stock for days. It seems as though they may get little shipments in, but never enough to cover the demand.

Has this thread been a core influence in the shortage? It's possible, but it's probably because many other sites regard this as an excellent product also. For instance, doesn't anantech have this particular lcd in their lcd thread as recommended?

Yes, i've heard that anandtech.com does also have the DS-263n on there "dejour" list. Thats what another poster said.

I just noticed something funny, the DS comes back in stock on my b-day. Guess I won't get it till after then.

It's been going in and out of stock for days. It seems as though they may get little shipments in, but never enough to cover the demand.

Has this thread been a core influence in the shortage? It's possible, but it's probably because many other sites regard this as an excellent product also. For instance, doesn't anantech have this particular lcd in their lcd thread as recommended?

Yes, because of this thread. :p

Yeah it's broken into NewEggs Top Sellers list for LCDs I see. I got my tracking number, should be here today. I'll try to take pics.

BTW when I called DoubleSight the other day they specifically mentioned NewEgg got the most stock of their retailers. I think the demand has caught them by surprise.

Just talked to sales at DoubleSight. Here's the deal on availability:

* A big shipment did go out to all retailers, though NewEgg did get quite a few and a bit earlier - he said something about their having "a crystal ball". It popped in and out of stock as the shipment hit NewEgg's different warehouses.

* Buy.com and others should be getting theirs right about now. Specifically, Buy.com's master distributor already has them, so it's a matter of a day or two before backorders are filled and any left hit the site.

* They'll send out a large batch (a container full) the first week of June. That mid-June to early July estimate is due to an auto-response always estimating 6 to 8 weeks.

Anybody having usb hub issues with this monitor?

I'm having trouble with a logitech mouse through the hub. It works for a minute or two, then intermittently shuts off. Same with a usb thumb drive.

DS support says the hub is powered by the monitor, so it shouldn't be doing this.

Unfortunately, it will take an exchange to get it fixed, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble just for a usb hub...

I cant even find where you plug the USB hub into lol.

Just got mine. No dead pixels that I can see, looks fantastic! Just like my Dell 2001FP but much bigger.

I just got mine!

Two words: Absolutely Beautiful.

Before purchasing this, I heard complaints about wide gamut displays. After fiddling with the menu, there are modes to 'fix' the wide gamut look. They have an sRGB mode, a standard, text, movie, photo, and gaming. Games, from what I've seen, really look much better in Gaming mode, but for everything else sRGB is my favorite.

Brightness, as others have mentioned, really is very high. It nearly blinded my friend and I when we went on youtube. Ouch. This can be easily adjusted, however.

Two gripes:

1.)Just like whoever else mentioned it, for some reason, it will not get any DVI signal. I'm forced to use VGA. Does it really matter that much anyway? Still looks amazing.

2.) Boy was this hell to hookup! The stand that attaches in the back blocks the fucking ports, so it's hard as hell to plug in a vga or dvi cord. It took me like 15 minutes angling the monitor and myself in positions I rarely go into. haha

No dead pixels that I can see, and I have the polarizer as far as I know.

This is one of the best buys I've ever made electronic wise.

WOW

A digital LCD should work best with a digital DVI input. Is there some DVI problem with this newest batch? I believe one DVI port is DVI-D (digital only) and the other is DVI-I (analog or digital). Could someone be using a DVI-D cable (which would only carry the digital signal) connected to the DVI-I port, and for some screwy reason, the digital input of the DVI-I port is disabled?

Try connecting the DVI-D cable to the DVI-D port.

A digital LCD should work best with a digital DVI input. Is there some DVI problem with this newest batch? I believe one DVI port is DVI-D (digital only) and the other is DVI-I (analog or digital). Could someone be using a DVI-D cable (which would only carry the digital signal) connected to the DVI-I port, and for some screwy reason, the digital input of the DVI-I port is disabled?

Try connecting the DVI-D cable to the DVI-D port.

Alright.

I'll go ahead and try all those cables in a bit, see if I can get it going.

Boy is this a bitch.

So, you're sure it would look that much better with the DVI port?

Thanks for your help.

Much better? Probably not. But in the early days of LCDs, reviewers usually mentioned that the images were a little better when using digital signal sources. After all, why would you want your original digital signal created in the video card to be converted to VGA analog, only to be converted back to digital by the monitor? Those two conversion steps are completely unnecessary if your video card has a DVI output.

Ok slightly embarrassing but I'm missing where I plug in the USB hub to the monitor... anyone know? I see the 4 ports on the side but not where I'd plug in the small end =p

1.)Just like whoever else mentioned it, for some reason, it will not get any DVI signal. I'm forced to use VGA. Does it really matter that much anyway? Still looks amazing.

2.) Boy was this hell to hookup! The stand that attaches in the back blocks the fucking ports, so it's hard as hell to plug in a vga or dvi cord. It took me like 15 minutes angling the monitor and myself in positions I rarely go into. haha[/I]

You can remove the shroud around the back ports, just pull until it comes out. Hats off to you if you actually managed to hook up a cable with it on, I was pretty sure that would be impossible.

Ok slightly embarrassing but I'm missing where I plug in the USB hub to the monitor... anyone know? I see the 4 ports on the side but not where I'd plug in the small end =p

It's to the right (looking at the back) of all the video inputs.

Woohoo thanks, not sure how I missed that.

I like how it is sort of hidden, but it did take me a second to find it.
I agree, I was trying to figure out how to put my plugs in when I realized the bottom part of the panel can be removed, though I will say the middle DVI connection is a pain to connect to.

Are both the DVI connections the same or is one better than the other, and if so which one?

Zetherin said:
Before purchasing this, I heard complaints about wide gamut displays. After fiddling with the menu, there are modes to 'fix' the wide gamut look. They have an sRGB mode, a standard, text, movie, photo, and gaming. Games, from what I've seen, really look much better in Gaming mode, but for everything else sRGB is my favorite.
The modes don't fix the gamut. Gaming mode just lowers the gamma to bring out more detail in dark areas, but that washes out the colors. sRGB mode distorts the colors by unevenly pushing various parts of the grayscale towards red, and it doesn't reduce the gamut like a true sRGB mode should. All modes except TEXT and sRGB also have banding. The modes suck to be quite honest.

Zetherin said:
Just like whoever else mentioned it, for some reason, it will not get any DVI signal. I'm forced to use VGA. Does it really matter that much anyway? Still looks amazing.
There shouldn't be any problems with DVI. What video card are you using? This monitor has crappy auto adjust for VGA, so yes, DVI should look much better.

The modes don't fix the gamut. Gaming mode just lowers the gamma to bring out more detail in dark areas, but that washes out the colors. sRGB mode distorts the colors by unevenly pushing various parts of the grayscale towards red, and it doesn't reduce the gamut like a true sRGB mode should. All modes except TEXT and sRGB also have banding. The modes suck to be quite honest.

There shouldn't be any problems with DVI. What video card are you using? This monitor has crappy auto adjust for VGA, so yes, DVI should look much better.

Well, in my eyes, no, the modes don't "suck".

I don't know the technical aspects behind the changes of the modes (like you do!), however, the screen looks absolutely amazing to me. This whole wide gamut controversy is so overrated. Before purchasing I heard things like the picture would portray people looking sunburnt, that everything would be Disneylandish. Well, neither are true, and I think it looks absolutely amazing. Perhaps I've just been on wide gamut lcds all my life, but I can't notice the difference. The colors look "real" to me on this sRGB mode, even though it may not be "real" enough for you. I'm sorry you view the situation differently, but please don't make it as it's your way or the highway and the monitor sucks.

As for the video card, I have a 6800 Ultra. I would think that it's powerful enough to run this bad boy, but perhaps it's not. I have a 9800GTX system coming soon anyway, so it's fine for the time being.

You're right about the auto adjusting on the VGA, and I've since corrected it. It wouldn't even scale right initially. I lowered the brightness, fixed my sharpness, contrast to my liking, and scaled it all. I have absolutely no complaints now, however, I still can't get a DVI signal. I'll keep trying, though. Perhaps I need new drivers...?

Back