DoubleSight DS-263N - 26"

I recently had a premonition that the DS-263N has been phased out and no longer in production. The units produced during the last run have aleady been distributed by Ingram Micro and ICG, it appears that Newegg received the lion's share or possibly the entire stock.

Call me Dionne Warwick, but I'm predicting all pre-orders from any retailer other than Newegg (ie. Provantage, Buy.com, Amazon, etc) will soon be canceled (including mine).

Here's a bonus prediction that'll make all of us with orders that'll soon be canceled feel a little better. The DS-263N was phased out by DoubleSight due to a new line up coming out in July. The DS-263N's succesor, the DS-265W, will utilize the same LG IPS panel with A-TW polarizer. The only difference in the models will be in the housing which will still be black, however will now be height adjustable and no longer sport the gold DoubleSight emblem. Best of all, production has been ramped up to better meet demand.

Mmm. Even if this were true, frankly I'd be a bit concerned about Doublesight raising the price of the monitor. It's been awhile since Econ 101, but I do believe the rapid sell outs and constant high demand would allow them to increase the price quite a bit, if they wanted to.

Since I'm not buying until mid-July, I hope this idea hasn't occured to them yet. Or that they're trying to grab name recognition or market share or something, because $700 is at the extreme upper limit of my monitor budget as things are.

~S

Mmm. Even if this were true, frankly I'd be a bit concerned about Doublesight raising the price of the monitor. It's been awhile since Econ 101, but I do believe the rapid sell outs and constant high demand would allow them to increase the price quite a bit, if they wanted to.

Since I'm not buying until mid-July, I hope this idea hasn't occured to them yet. Or that they're trying to grab name recognition or market share or something, because $700 is at the extreme upper limit of my monitor budget as things are.

~S

If they did increase the price they better make up for it somewhere or else the Planar will be even closer competition. The Planar has a better pixel warranty and free RMA shipping unlike DS as well, and a far better stand for 150$ more now as is. So I really don't see them increasing the price any unless they change all of that.

Provantage:

Backordered
Stock expected on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 (in 31 days). Manufacturers's Warranty.

:mad::mad::mad: WTF happened to June 16?

Mine came today, I ordered from buy.com on 5/16 and they shipped it on 6/17 from City of Industry CA. (I'm in seattle area). I think I must have the polarizer, I can detect no color tint looking from the sides.

I've found one pixel flaw in about 3 inches in from the upper right corner. It seems to be a pair of stuck subpixels, one cyan and one magenta, non-overlapping. So maybe it's a pair of adjacent pixels with one stuck subpixel each. I really have to look really really hard to find it, using a white window and a magnifying glass. This dot is so much smaller than all the floaters I have in my eyeballs its a non-issue.

The box came with a dented corner, but it turns out the foam braces inside the box that suspend the monitor in the middle of the box don't extend all the way into the corners, leaving little pockets for them to drop cables into. So there's nothing internal pushing out at the corners of the box, so a dent there is easier to do and makes no difference. Apparently the dent wasn't caused by dropping the box.

The stand is too short for my normal use, I have a double stack of old phone books under the monitor to raise it up 4". That puts the top of the display about 2" above my eye level, which is how I like monitors to be.

Getting the cables plugged in was a pain, I turned the monitor around with its back to the front and slid it all the way to the edge of the desk and sat on the floor and used a flashlight to see what I was doing up under there. And the DVI-D port is directly in line with the stand shaft, so you have to really work to get plugged in there. But I suppose the trouble is nothing in light of the good price on the display. I certainly wouldn't want to pay an extra $100 just for a stand, even one that had all the adjustments including rotation. The only use rotation would be on a monitor of this size is to make it easier to plug in cables.

It has a standard 6' pc-type power cable that plugs into the back of the monitor, unlike my old dell 2001FP which had a 6 pc-type power cable that led to a brick transformer and then another smaller 6' wire to go to the monitor. So the power cord was too short for me without an extender.

I received my two a few days ago. They are simply awesome, except for one thing.... they are too big :(. I've come to realize that having two of things was too much.

What I'm going to be doing is purchasing 2-22" instead I think, which will be MUCH cheaper.

Thus, I am selling these two that I have. I was going to return them to Amazon, but since the supply is so restricted, I thought I'd ask the community first if they wanted to purchase 1 or 2 of them.

Both of the ones I have are in perfect working order, have no dead/stuck pixels at all that I've found, and I believe both have the polarizer, as I can see a red tint off to the sides.

I will sell them for the value that I bought them at plus shipping, nothing more. Please let me know if anyone is interested. You have one week to reply, as I have to return these to Amazon by the end of the month otherwise. Any questions you have please feel free to PM me.

Regards,
Berek

DoubleSight will use the same pricepoint on the new DS-265W. To your point, there's nothing keeping retailers from marking up the units. However, the ramped up production should put out enough units that the price would stabilize once all the retailers have them in stock.

--techaddict

Mine came today, I ordered from buy.com on 5/16 and they shipped it on 6/17 from City of Industry CA.

I placed an order with Buy.com on 5/19, however mine hasn't shipped and I don't believe it ever will. I'm not totally disappointed that my order will be canceled knowing that the new model will be available shortly.

I received my two a few days ago. They are simply awesome, except for one thing.... they are too big :(. I've come to realize that having two of things was too much.

What I'm going to be doing is purchasing 2-22" instead I think, which will be MUCH cheaper.

Thus, I am selling these two that I have. I was going to return them to Amazon, but since the supply is so restricted, I thought I'd ask the community first if they wanted to purchase 1 or 2 of them.

Both of the ones I have are in perfect working order, have no dead/stuck pixels at all that I've found, and I believe both have the polarizer, as I can see a red tint off to the sides.

I will sell them for the value that I bought them at plus shipping, nothing more. Please let me know if anyone is interested. You have one week to reply, as I have to return these to Amazon by the end of the month otherwise. Any questions you have please feel free to PM me.

Regards,
Berek

YGPM

Wait, are you guys making buying decisions based on a premonition? Or are there more facts to back this up?

The details provided in my preminition are fact. The DS-263N is no longer in production and the units that were produced have already been distributed. Retailers currently on backorder will stay that way until they cancel orders and update their sites.

The only buying decision is to either buy from Newegg or not. Since I don't like their dead pixel policy I won't buy a display unit from them. Instead, I'll wait another month for the DS-265W.

Berek Halfhand said:

It's too late. Your eyes have been tainted by the image quality of the H-IPS panel with the A-TW polarizer. You won't be able to use anything else now. A 22" will look like crap in comparison.

Keep one and sell the other.

Do you have links for this? Do you work somewhere that gives you privileged information?

Because otherwise, you look like someone pushing a scare tactic through a second account for reasons unknown.

It's too late. Your eyes have been tainted by the image quality of the H-IPS panel with the A-TW polarizer. You won't be able to use anything else now. A 22" will look like crap in comparison.

He's right! Don't ditch both!!

I endorse this statement 100%.

Even though my set top box does not work with it (although a 40$ component to HDMI then an adapter to DVI works well), and I need to add even more hardware to use my Wii with it, there's no way I could go to a lesser panel.

Hi Lentil. No scare tactic, just sharing my knowledge. Take it or leave it, however time will tell.

Here's my advice: If anyone needs this display unit asap buy it from Newegg as the other retailers will not get any new shipments of DS-263N units. If you can wait a month you'll be able to buy the new DS-265W through the usual retailers.

As soon as I get some literature or links to info on the DS-265W, I'll share it here.

Berek,

I'm interested. Could you post a picture of the monitor from the side in the dark so we can verify that it is in fact the polarized version?

Got my unit in yesterday from Newegg set it up last night. Loaded up ToastyX's profile and everything looks good. No bad pixels and has the polarizer. Excellent deal IMHO. Thanks for all the good info in this thread, it made my choice clear. Very happy with the purchase.

@techaddict

Provantage lists the DS-263N back in stock on July 22. So you're saying that those will be the new DS-263W?

I notice Buy.com says "Very few left In Stock" for the Planar PX2611W. Might also indicate some phasing out of old stock. In the Planar thread it's mentioned LG seems to be including the polarizer with all of the 26" panels made now.

The Planar is starting to look like a good deal with the advanced exchange and better stand... assuming they have the polarizer now.

Isn't the Planar slower tho?

As far as polarizers, NewEgg advertises it has one, and guarantees it. I got one from them without a polarizer but they offered to exchange or refund it.

Sure things guys, let me get out my camera... I dunno if I want to keep one... I'll think about it :p. No pressure please guys, hehe.

I got mine, but I really can't tell if it has the polarizer or not, and I have read all the messages in this thread. :| No dead pixels, at least.

Other than that, I am extremely impressed with this screen.

@binxer

I think Techaddict was just engaging in some wishful thinking. There's no mention of a 263W or 265W anywhere on the net that I can find.

@Berek

No pressure. If you're selling the second one, I'd love it, if not, no big deal -- I'll find one somewhere once it's back in stock.

I think Techaddict was just engaging in some wishful thinking. There's no mention of a 263W or 265W anywhere on the net that I can find.

So there is no misunderstanding, the only model number I've mentioned for the new 26" unit is DS-265W. You're right, this thread is the first place on the net with mention of the DS-265W. That means all of you are the first to know!

My main objective is to manage the expectations for those that are sitting on orders for the DS-263N at any retailer other than Newegg. There simply are no more units to be distributed. Anyone reading this post hopefully won't be too disappointed when they receive their cancellation notice.

With the same LG IPS panel and price point, improved housing with height adjustment, and better availability the DS-265W will be worth waiting a few more weeks.

Good news,

It's about f***ing time.

Will North American distribution actually allow Canadians to purchase this thing too?

Thanks for the notice. What association do you have with Doublesight?

10e

So there is no misunderstanding, the only model number I've mentioned for the new 26" unit is DS-265W. You're right, this thread is the first place on the net with mention of the DS-265W. That means all of you are the first to know!

My main objective is to manage the expectations for those that are sitting on orders for the DS-263N at any retailer other than Newegg. There simply are no more units to be distributed. Anyone reading this post hopefully won't be too disappointed when they receive their cancellation notice.

With the same LG IPS panel and price point, improved housing with height adjustment, and better availability the DS-265W will be worth waiting a few more weeks.

Someone could try contacting DoubleSight directly to verify that he/she is saying? I would do it myself, but the last time I tried (to get info on HDCP support) I never got an answer back. I'm wary as to how reliable they are with responding to questions.

So the new DS will essentially be the Planar, instead of being "almost" the Planar like before. Any idea who is actually building the no-name unit for DS/PCBANK/Planar?

Planar doesn't have a polarizer... So, hopefully not.

New ones likely do if LG is in fact including them with every panel now. See post I linked to previously. It would be nice to get confirmation on this from one of the new Planar batches.

Back