DoubleSight DS-263N - 26"

And its back in stock at newegg. :)

OOS and deactivated to boot.

ido, refurbished is usually ok (especially if it comes with a decent warranty, but I'm not sure what warranty they offer on refurbs). If you feel like a gambling man, you can get the open box at newegg for ~$150 cheaper than the refurbished one.

Unbelievable price at Newegg for open box..........$477!!!!

If I hadnt already bought one I'd be all over it!!!

Newegg's open box policy scares me a little. Am I correct in saying that if the openbox monitor just up and dies a couple weeks from when I buy it I won't even be covered by DoubleSight's warranty? That seems like quite the risk to me.

Also, can I return it within 15 days for whatever reason? Because, if so, I guess you really can't lose, right? You can always return it if it has too many dead pixels, etc. Is this correct?

I know someone purchased an open box ds-263n a few weeks ago and they said it was great. Can anyone else speak about their experience with open box items from Newegg (especially monitors)?

Chances are you will not be covered by warranty, so be very wary. That's a high dollar purchase, it would suck to have something break in a few months and have no recourse.

I just bought an open box DS-263N from NewEgg and the monitor is perfect. Actually you get a better return policy with the open box...........15 days.

Why would there be no warranty? You get the same warranty through Doublesight as when it is new. In fact I called Doublesight with what I thought was a problem with the monitor powering up with the computer and the blue light flashing. The told me to bring it in (I live in Irvine) and that I could get a replacement. I never did because I finally got it setup the right way.

The only thing that would concern me is that NewEgg has the open box listed at a very low price and Im wondering if they adjust open box prices with the shape of the monitor that gets returned?? Mine was $599

just bought a refurb from their official website.

the rep did confirm that the new revision model DS-265W is coming in late august.

he said most of the refurb models were either open boxes so im taking a chance here. 90 day warranty and 30 day return policy on these.

Just want to tell you all I received one with a polarizer, and I am so happy with my purchase. This is the best god damn display I've ever seen.

For anyone how has this mounted on an arm or something, what is the weight of the monitor without the stand? I am thinking of buying this, link, but it only supports <24" monitors or <20 pounds, thanks.

I have that same Ergotron arm in silver, and a Planar PX2611W (26" very similar to DoubleSight) mounted to it. The Planar and the DoubleSight look almost exactly the same physically, so I'd think they'd be about the same weight. The Planar is specified as weighing 16.4 lbs without a stand. I don't know if my experience is typical or if I got a bum copy, but the tilting part has a little difficulty with the weight of the monitor, even though it's within the specified range. The other joints are tight enough, but not the tilt. It won't hold the monitor at any tilt you want--it tilts back down on its own if I have it tilted slightly up--but thankfully it holds at the one position I actually need it in, which is straight ahead :) So unless you need it positioned lower than you and tilted up, which you probably don't, you should be fine.

I am tall and would like to raise the monitor, but would also like to create more desk space and by getting an arm would do both extremely well. So this arm sounds perfect for my needs, though it also seems the DS has an offset VESA mount so I need to get an adapter to center it out.

So these IPS monitors are probably the best LCD's you can buy for color-critical work, right? I've been doing some labels for our business on Illustrator, but getting more serious about it now... taking Illustrator courses on lynda.com :rolleyes:

For color-critical work, this or the Planar... or another H-IPS screen would be the best bet other than a CRT, right?

Ok Sent off an email to Doublesight about the new 26 inch IPS. This is the reply I got.

Thank you for your interest in DoubleSight Displays. The new model is the DS-265W.

1. Will the screen be glossy or matte?

matte

2. Will the Monitor come standard with the A-TW polarizer that showed up on some of the 263n's?

The polarizer is standard for all IPS panels. It was on ALL of the DS-263N models shipped.

3. Will the price be the same as the 263?

Pricing will be similar

4. Will the new version be available in august ?

Forecasted release is mid August

Sincerely,

Dario DellaMaggiore

Director of Sales

-------------------------------------------------------------

What interests me is # 2. "The Polarizer" is used, not an A-TW polarizer. I bet they mean the normal polarizer that all lcds have. Either way my saved email is good ammuntion to send back any doublesight if it lacks the A-TW though, since the reply to to my question about the A-TW.......

My super duper plan:

1. Buy 3007WFP, try it for 30 days
2. Wait until Doublesights come out, read reviews
3. Either return/keep 3007WFP
4. Buy Doublesight if I decide that it is better
5. Happy end (hopefully)

anyone have issues turning the monitor on? It seems like I have to press the on button pretty hard or hold it for 1-2 seconds before i can turn this thing on. when I power down tho all it takes is a simple click on the power.

anyone have issues turning the monitor on? It seems like I have to press the on button pretty hard or hold it for 1-2 seconds before i can turn this thing on. when I power down tho all it takes is a simple click on the power.

I remember I had this problem too. When I first got the monitor it would not turn on however many times I pressed the power button.. Thought it was DOA..Held it down and magically it turned on

I remember I had this problem too. When I first got the monitor it would not turn on however many times I pressed the power button.. Thought it was DOA..Held it down and magically it turned on

does this still happen to you? im wondering if its a standard thing to press the power button for like 2 seconds to turn it on.

I returned the monitor. Got a Lz800 instead.. 32 inch HDTV. The PQ is much better than the doublesight IMO. No white bloom. In fact almost no shift in the image at incredible angles (close to 180). I'm surprised that IPS-alpha does notmake many screens for computer monitors cuz they kick ass. However, not all is better than doublesight. The monitor unfortunately comes with bigger pixels and not as configurable colors but I am happier with the TV than the doublesight due to various reasons.

Does the A-TW polarizer really make a difference? I just do office work, web browser, look at photos, write a lot in word processors, and play the occasional game, etc.

I mean spending $753 on Amazon for the Doublesight 263N (without A-TW) and $1232 for the NEC 2690 is a huge difference.

Seriously, is the A-TW worth $500 for what I do above?

Does the A-TW polarizer really make a difference? I just do office work, web browser, look at photos, write a lot in word processors, and play the occasional game, etc.

I mean spending $753 on Amazon for the Doublesight 263N (without A-TW) and $1232 for the NEC 2690 is a huge difference.

No. The 2690 is more for the serious/discerning/professional user who needs absolute color accuracy, and it even has its flaws for general use, namely input lag. For general use the 263N is a wiser choice if money doesn't grow on a tree in your back yard.

Whenever I turn this monitor off at night, it enters some kind of sleep mode or something, and when I power it back on, it cycles through the available inputs, then cuts off, as if it can't find a source. I know my computer isn't going into sleep mode since I have the power settings set to always stay on. But right now, the only way to get this monitor back on if I cut it off, is to reboot my computer.

Am I doing something wrong?

I noticed that there is a shift in the corners of the screen even if you sit directly in front of it. It is very slight though so you might not be bothered by it.

I've posted this before, several weeks back and well... it hasn't changed.

The DS without an A-TW polarizer looks worse than a TN pannel. The DS, even head on has whte bleed. I personally bought the DS and the Samsung 2693. I returned the DS.

Point blank, if your not doing "professional color" buy the TN pannel. If you need professional color buy the NEC. The TN pannel @ $499 w/ free shipping is an amazing display and I prefer it over the DS even if the DS was cheaper than the TN!

Peter.

I've posted this before, several weeks back and well... it hasn't changed.

The DS without an A-TW polarizer looks worse than a TN pannel. The DS, even head on has whte bleed. I personally bought the DS and the Samsung 2693. I returned the DS.

Point blank, if your not doing "professional color" buy the TN pannel. If you need professional color buy the NEC. The TN pannel @ $499 w/ free shipping is an amazing display and I prefer it over the DS even if the DS was cheaper than the TN!

Peter.

Yet I have a completely different experience with my DS and think even for those not doing photo work would enjoy this monitor greatly.

I agree with the last two posters. Most TN panels are unquestionably below my standards. I woulda kept the doublesight (with no polarizer) had it not exhibited strange on-off behaviour. I recommend the doublesight over most TN panels.

now the quality difference between H-IPS and IPS-alpha is another story ;). I love my ips-alpha screen..

so what's the consensus on this lcd? Is it still good w/o the polarizer? Do they have it in stock now? Best place to buy it is at amazon?

so what's the consensus on this lcd? Is it still good w/o the polarizer? Do they have it in stock now? Best place to buy it is at amazon?

I have the DS-263N right next to my Planar PX2611W and it looks the same or better. Neither one of them has the "so called" polarizer and they look great. The only time you might notice the polarizer missing is if you look at it from the side..............how many people do this? They both have excellent text/picture which a TN panel cannot even compare............

Bottom line you will be happy if you buy it!!!

You say that without having seen one with the polarizer. Why would I care how it looks from the side? The polarizer makes a difference even when you're sitting in front of the monitor. It gets rid of that obnoxious white glow, which helps contrast quite a bit.

You say that without having seen one with the polarizer. Why would I care how it looks from the side? The polarizer makes a difference even when you're sitting in front of the monitor. It gets rid of that obnoxious white glow, which helps contrast quite a bit.

Well I am very happy with the PQ of both these monitors so I guess that I am better off not seeing one with a polarizer. I really do not see the white glow unless I get over to the side. The DS-263N replaced the Dell 2407HC which I also thought had a great picture.

^easy way to find out...
Amazon says they have some in stock as well. Then again, why not wait for the new model :)

I have mine on 0 brightness, and I'm using Toasty's low brightness ICC profile.
However, it's still way too bright and hurts my eyes very quickly.
I used to be able to read comfortably for hours on my old Sony 19" TN.
Now I can read for a maximum of 5 minutes :(

I tried lowering contrast, but that made the display quality poor.
Has anyone figured out a way to look at this monitor without going blind?

Back