Doublesight DS-263N - Good, Bad, and Unacceptable

Perini

n00b
So I just got one of these famed DS-263N panels directly from Doublesight.

The Good:
Bright, clear, and large workspace. The panel can be tilted to an acceptable range of use. I actually like the little menu "nub" and find it easy to use.

The Bad:
There's some sort of horizontal, wavy, shimmering effect that I can't quite figure out. It almost looks like the sort of thing that was fixed with a "degauss" button on old CRT monitors. I've tried different DVI cables and nothing has worked. The 59 or 60hz refresh rates also made no difference.

The Unacceptable:
Mine has a feint but still perceptible vertical band, about an inch wide, that runs the entire length of the screen about six inches in from the left.

So yeah, I think this is a potentially great monitor. Mine has no stuck pixels and it appears to also have the infamous polarizer (no white glow from off angles). However, this shimmering effect (if I'm being honest) and the vertical bar are both unacceptable.

Maybe somebody can offer me a few suggestions as to what might be causing these "shimmers." I didn't note them until I had the monitor on for a few hours.

Unfortunately, the band sounds like a panel manufacturing defect...

(I ended up returning a Sharp 32", with the same sort of defect, because it made it look like I was looking through a mask, especially in dark scenes...)

The horizontal/wavy bit might suggest a lack of signal lock between video card and monitor, but I don't know...

Back