Doublesight DS-305W

it only has one DVI input AND no HDCP support:mad:

i thought this would be my new screen but not now...

How do you know it has no HDCP. It is often left off info and taken for granted these days.

The Dell 3007-HC, Hazro HZ30, HP 3065, LG W3000H all have HDCP, so I would bet this one does as well.

That gives you about 5 30" panels that are all pretty much equivalent. LG S-IPS, Dual link DVI, no scaler, low input lag. The newest ones have slightly wider gamut if that makes any real difference.

But basically, you buy the one that has the nicest case for the lowest price with the best return policy, because the screen uniformity is highly suspect on any of these and you may want to exchange/return.

Does this monitor lack VESA mounting holes?

It certainly LOOKS like a rebadged Hazro, and the Hazro website claims it has 100mm x 100mm VESA holes (but I don't see them in the photos on their site).

Similarly, I don't see them on the Doublesight either, unless they're completely under the stand. The description and even manual make no mention of VESA mounts.

Does this monitor lack VESA mounting holes?

It certainly LOOKS like a rebadged Hazro, and the Hazro website claims it has 100mm x 100mm VESA holes (but I don't see them in the photos on their site).

Similarly, I don't see them on the Doublesight either, unless they're completely under the stand. The description and even manual make no mention of VESA mounts.

Yup, no VESA holes, here is the reply I got from Doublesight:

"Thank you for your interest in our Products. I am sorry but due to the overall size and weight of the DS-305W, we have not included VESA standard holes in the housing."

One DVI input is fine for me. The stand looks like crap though and no easy way to repleace it without VESA holes. Anyone seen any review for this thing. I can deal with these short commings is the display is good.

edit: Never mind. The specs on NewEgg indicate no HDCP support. That makes it useless for my purposes as I indeed to get a Blu-Ray drive as well.

sad but true...from the horses mouth:

Thank you for your interest in our Monitors. The DS-305W is built with only one input at this time which is DVI-D and it will require a Dual Link DVI-D compatible video card. This model is not HDCP compliant.

now what to buy?!?!? i should have kept my original DS-263N which was perfect except lacking the AW polarizer:(

How do you know it has no HDCP. It is often left off info and taken for granted these days.

The Dell 3007-HC, Hazro HZ30, HP 3065, LG W3000H all have HDCP, so I would bet this one does as well.

That gives you about 5 30" panels that are all pretty much equivalent. LG S-IPS, Dual link DVI, no scaler, low input lag. The newest ones have slightly wider gamut if that makes any real difference.

But basically, you buy the one that has the nicest case for the lowest price with the best return policy, because the screen uniformity is highly suspect on any of these and you may want to exchange/return.

just so I'm not screwing up here...if it's not HDCP compliant, then I just can't watch HD movies on it?

All I really would want this monitor for is PC games, Web browsing and office work. Any reason it wouldn't be a decent fit? (other than the fact that I'm also going to have to at least upgrade to a 1GB 4780 when they come out?)

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a 2500x1600 monitor for some time, and I was hoping this would be it.

just so I'm not screwing up here...if it's not HDCP compliant, then I just can't watch HD movies on it?

All I really would want this monitor for is PC games, Web browsing and office work. Any reason it wouldn't be a decent fit? (other than the fact that I'm also going to have to at least upgrade to a 1GB 4780 when they come out?)

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a 2500x1600 monitor for some time, and I was hoping this would be it.

If it's not HDCP compliant, it means that it can't play content encrypted by HDCP. That means Blu-Ray movies, and not much else. You can even get around Blu-Ray's HDCP by using Any-DVD HD. This does mean that you would only be able to play Blu-Ray movies from a computer, and not any other player, though.

For games, browsing and office work, it looks like quite a display.

If it's not HDCP compliant, it means that it can't play content encrypted by HDCP. That means Blu-Ray movies, and not much else. You can even get around Blu-Ray's HDCP by using Any-DVD HD. This does mean that you would only be able to play Blu-Ray movies from a computer, and not any other player, though.

What makes it better choice than the Dell 3007-HC, Hazro HZ30, HP 3065, or LG W3000H all of which have HDCP. Many of which have VESA mounting as well.

All of these are essentially functionally equivalent. I would rather have HDCP/VESA than not even if I wasn't using it today. No guarantee Anydvd will keep playing Blu Rays...

What makes it better choice than the Dell 3007-HC, Hazro HZ30, HP 3065, or LG W3000H all of which have HDCP. Many of which have VESA mounting as well.

Oh, I wouldn't say it's better (or equal) to any of those monitors - its only noteworthy quality is being slightly cheaper for someone on a budget.

P.S. what do you think would prevent anydvd from continuing to play DVD's?

Oh,
P.S. what do you think would prevent anydvd from continuing to play DVD's?

Nothing. I said it may stop play Blu Rays (on Non HDCP sources).

What could stop them? Changes in the copy protection a visit from the Blu Ray lawyers for breaking the copy protection.

It would be simpler to have compliant monitor than pay what 79 Euros (~$100USD??) for Anydvd HD which may or may not keep working.

The cheap just got cheaper, newegg just dropped the price another $50... I think I may have to bite on this one. I'll report back next week I guess.

You think a single 4870 is enough to power this thing for current gaming (screw crysis, hated the game anyway), or am I looking at a mandatory CF or SLI setup? Probably be playing alot of WAR online in the upcoming months, and man would I like the extra screen real estate... I currently have a 8800 640mb GTS for 19x12, and I've found I can pretty much play everything. I guess my biggest concern is the 512MB on the 4870...

wow! but how could it not be HDCP compliant when the Hazro is? did they modify or customize the internals with the OEM to remove that capability? perhaps it does have it as an unlisted feature.

who wants to to be the first guinea pig:) only $999!

Mine should be here by Tuesday. I don't have a blu-ray drive, or any HD stuff anyhow, so I'm not sure how to test if HDCP is really there or not...

I will report back with pics and stuff though. Let me know if you guys want anything in particular tested or looked at

Mine should be here by Tuesday. I don't have a blu-ray drive, or any HD stuff anyhow, so I'm not sure how to test if HDCP is really there or not...

I will report back with pics and stuff though. Let me know if you guys want anything in particular tested or looked at
I guess you can check if it has any "sparkle" effect, meaning a very thick anti glare coating, if its using an LG panel probably it does but you never know, they might be using something new.

Also please check if there is a white glow from the corners on a dark background.. not backlight bleed but just natural glow from the IPS panel, and most importantly pics pics pics!

I'm conflicted. Either get this monitor now or wait for Hazro to bring their model line around December. :confused:

well i pulled the trigger along with a 4870x2. I don't know a ton about monitors, i only know my user experience with them and can give you my unscientific impressions. I've used recently a 28" Hanns-G, 24" Gateway, 20" Dell WS...so I've been getting pregressively bigger :p I coudl care less about other inputs, as i have a DLP and plasma in our house that i do any movie/tv/ps3 watching on. This is purely for pc games and work.

So I finally got mine, and I'm having some trouble...

I can't get it to display above 1280x800 without becoming completely garbled. 2560x1600 is a mess. I have an XFX 7900GT, which supposedly has 2 dual link DVI ports.

On the plus side, no dead or stuck pixels.

The 7900GT specs indicate it does dual link DVI at up to 2560x1600. I'm not trying to play games here, I am not a big gamer anymore.

I can't get it to display above 1280x800 without becoming completely garbled. 2560x1600 is a mess. I have an XFX 7900GT, which supposedly has 2 dual link DVI ports.

Are you using a dual-link DVI cable?

Yeah, the DVI cable that came with it, it has all the pins like a dual link DVI-D should.

Is there any way for me to check if dual link or single link is active? Maybe my video card and/or drivers are bugged and stuck in single link?

On a side note, the power cable that comes with it looks like it's from Germany (2 round posts instead of the 2 blades we have here in the States). I had to go rummage for a US power cable. The Newegg pics show this, but I assumed these were taken from a different market. Nope.

what do you mean completely garbled?? like all the colors are screwed up??

also can you take pics of your new 30"!! :D and also take pics of the problem...

most likely its the DVI cable...

I managed to get it to display up to 2048x1536 by turning off the image scaling in the Nvidia control panel. This monitor scales a few resolutions, namely the low ones, all the way up to 1280x800, except 1152x864. Above that, nothing really works.

Here is what I'm using right now. It sucks. (Excuse my crap photography for the time being)

When I go to 2560x1600@60hz, I get this:

Video card: XFX 7900GT

DVI cable looks like this:

If I ever get this monitor working right I'll be sure to write up all my thoughts and some more pics.

ok first picture looks like the monitor itself is scaling the image..

2nd pic.. looks really weird... there has to be some options on the monitor itself to configure it somehow?? looks like the monitor is trying its best to produce the image..

yes the 3rd pic IS a DVI-D cable...

your best best to eliminate all possiblities is run out of your house right now and get another DVI-D dual link cable.. just to be sure... if it still looks the same then its hardware.. your monitor or video card...

if you know anyone that has another 30" screen borrow their dvi-d

Unfortunately I don't know anyone else with a 30" screen. I may just go to the store and buy a newer video card temporarily to test it out.

My off-the-cuff guess would be a faulty dual-link DVI cable as well.

This really is just the Hazro re-packaged, huh? Pretty good price, although you'd like HDCP for the money.

Just so the other guy who ordered one doesn't freak out, I thought I'd update:

My buddy came by with his Macbook Pro tonight, and he hooked it up and it worked flawlessly in 2560x1600 with the cable it came with, no problems. Clearly the problem is with my drivers or something. My video card was advertised as being able to run 2 screens at 2560x1600, so I don't know what's up.

My buddy came by with his Macbook Pro tonight, and he hooked it up and it worked flawlessly in 2560x1600 with the cable it came with, no problems. Clearly the problem is with my drivers or something. My video card was advertised as being able to run 2 screens at 2560x1600, so I don't know what's up.

ok thats good to know, so most likely its either drivers or your video card. I suggest getting a new video card, if your gonna came on that 30" you need at LEAST a 8800GTX 768mb. I have a 9800GX2 to push my 30"

lol I'm not freaking, if my 4870x2 can't run it then I'd be very surprised. Monitor and card should be here monday...my only concern is dead pixels

lol I'm not freaking, if my 4870x2 can't run it then I'd be very surprised. Monitor and card should be here monday...my only concern is dead pixels

Yes, that's my only concern with trying out this 30" as well. Doublesight's return policy requiring 7 or more dead pixels seems harsh... I hope yours arrives perfect!

Back