Downsizing. CM Stacker 830 to . . .

PCMusicGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
I posted a while back about wanting to downsize but I couldn't find nothing that interested me. My main requirement was an aluminum case with minimal plastic including the insides (which kind of ruled out CM and Silverstone). I only run an OS drive and a storage drive, everything else is external. I will have a single disc drive instead of the two I have now. I would run air cooling and try to keep things as quiet as possible. I typically run a single, higher end graphics card and a sound card.

Does this case seem like a good fit? It seems pretty good to me and it also seems to fit the longer video cards.

http://www.sundialmicro.com/lianli-mid-tower-case-pc6b_1703_2096.html

I did see that one. I figured I might as well add another $20 to get some good-to-have features such as side facing hard drive mounting, holes in the motherboard tray for cable management, as well as the extra room for very long cards (+400mm vs ~280mm). Thanks though!

I did see that one. I figured I might as well add another $20 to get some good-to-have features such as side facing hard drive mounting, holes in the motherboard tray for cable management, as well as the extra room for very long cards (+400mm vs ~280mm). Thanks though!

But thats not downsizing at all its the same size. How much will you want for your stacker?

It is noticeably smaller, but not as small as the other for sure. The only thing that I hesitate on with the A05 is the video card room. I think 280mm will be enough for a top of the line single video card, but with the way Nvidia and AMD play with their designs it is a tough call. Other than that, I would be sold on the A05.

It is noticeably smaller, but not as small as the other for sure. The only thing that I hesitate on with the A05 is the video card room. I think 280mm will be enough for a top of the line single video card, but with the way Nvidia and AMD play with their designs it is a tough call. Other than that, I would be sold on the A05.

Problem with that is a lot of cases don't even fit the largest cards out there now (without mods), only some do. If they go and reinvent the wheel (again) and make cards even longer than that, case manufacturers are going to be scrambling to make new cases that fit the new cards and people who own the old cases are going to be SOL. I don't see cards getting longer than they already are (especially with die processes continuing to shrink).

re: "downsizing", yeah, I was under the impression you wanted a smaller case. A05 is arguably the only "small" ATX case. Anything else is a run of the mill 18x18 (or bigger) minitower. :eek:

Well it is quite a bit less in the length department, And its a lian li so it is great quality.

Just buy the PC 06 and give me your stacker :p

Problem with that is a lot of cases don't even fit the largest cards out there now (without mods), only some do. If they go and reinvent the wheel (again) and make cards even longer than that, case manufacturers are going to be scrambling to make new cases that fit the new cards and people who own the old cases are going to be SOL. I don't see cards getting longer than they already are (especially with die processes continuing to shrink).

re: "downsizing", yeah, I was under the impression you wanted a smaller case. A05 is arguably the only "small" ATX case. Anything else is a run of the mill 18x18 (or bigger) minitower. :eek:

Well, I might just have to give the A05 a try. If I need a bigger case later for a video card then I can always swap with my Rocketfish case I use at work.

Well it is quite a bit less in the length department, And its a lian li so it is great quality.

Just buy the PC 06 and give me your stacker :p

I don't think I will give the Stacker away, lol. I honestly don't know what the going price is for the case though I'd probably end up asking for whatever the Lian Li costs :p. I imagine it would be expensive to ship a Stacker though. It's a heavy one for sure.

Let me know if you need an A05N - I have one that I just wrapped up with:D

Also, if you're looking for something budget, you might check some of NZXT's offerings. The often blasted for being ugly GAMMA would be smaller, but it is steel also.

Also, have do you feel about plastic? Have you looked at Danger Den's AirBox?

Well, I might just have to give the A05 a try. If I need a bigger case later for a video card then I can always swap with my Rocketfish case I use at work.

I don't think I will give the Stacker away, lol. I honestly don't know what the going price is for the case though I'd probably end up asking for whatever the Lian Li costs :p. I imagine it would be expensive to ship a Stacker though. It's a heavy one for sure.

Lol @ Heavy my case is about 45 lbs unloaded, Just use the rocket fish, Those are ultra awesome.

Back