Dr. Dre & Jimmy Iovine to Become Apple Execs?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
New blood over at the Apple headquarters? You could say it might be getting downright funky with the possible addition of Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine from the Beats Electronics deal as new residents of Apple's front office.

I'm going to with what HardOCP should have put for those "beats"

I shutter to think people actually enjoy listening to music and other things with those.

1394380190w2ZhIpaLod_9_1.jpg

I think people are looking at this wrong. Apple can careless about the headphones. They've had a partnership as a reseller with Beats for a while.
This is about the Beats streaming music services. Something iTunes is not.

I've never heard of anyone actually using the Beats streaming music services. They should have tried to purchase spotify or grooveshark instead. The beats brand will devalue the perception of Apple, they're overpriced, trashy headphones. Apple probably would have been better off developing their own streaming platform on the back of itunes.

I have been personally thinking of this deal and its relevance to Apple.

1) Beats has a similar business model, Boutique goods.
Apple makes boutique goods in the way their product lineup, and its items are good. Beats are selling fancy items that are mediocre at best.

2) Beats offers Streaming service
itunes has that already. They could have purchased Pandora, or even Spotify for that instance, if they really needed that. Their homegrown service is hitting roadblocks, which is where the next reason is important.

3) Beats offers Executive support from one of the Sharks of the music biz.
Dre is good, but Jimmy is better. Hes a music shark, and I think he is the key to getting Itunes streaming licenses in the bag for Apple.

Again we don`t know the specifics, or even if the deal is legit till Monday so..all we can do it hypo, whats the deal there.

So, one seller of overpriced, trendy products buys another seller of overprice, trendy products.
Looks like a good fit to me.

I think people are looking at this wrong. Apple can careless about the headphones. They've had a partnership as a reseller with Beats for a while.

Yes, Dr. Dre has a lot of exclusive artists on his streaming service that Spotify, Pandora, and others couldn't sign. Think of all the artists that will be suddenly on the iTunes store. Also I believe that Beats as a company made 1.2 - 1.5 billion last year. If they can keep that up, even at 3.2 billion, Apple is getting them for a steal.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3015051/...cs-may-be-on-track-to-hit-14b-in-2013-revenue

Fuck Beats and fuck Apple.

Can't believe so many retarded people buy into the hype.

Can't believe so many retarded people buy into the hype.

The power of the internet and Google search naturally make people more informed consumers so for Apple to come across a customer base of clueless willing to pay premium for mediocrity it's like discovering a gold mine plus Apple need to make up for their own shrinking customer base.

Is Dre a MD, DO, or an Academic doctor? Just curious if he earned his title or if it was some kind of affirmative action thing... *shrugs*

Is Dre a MD, DO, or an Academic doctor? Just curious if he earned his title or if it was some kind of affirmative action thing... *shrugs*

Pretty sure he's a proctologist..

"Don't even respect your ass - that's why it's time for the doctor to check your ass, n**.." - Dr Dre (F** Wit Dre Day, 1992)

Well now that he has sold out completely, maybe he can wander back into the studio and finish that new album.

"Don't even respect your ass - that's why it's time for the doctor to check your ass, n**.." - Dr Dre (F** Wit Dre Day, 1992)

Negative. He's both an MD (Known as the Rapper Surgeon) and has his PhD in Flow.

Negative. He's both an MD (Known as the Rapper Surgeon) and has his PhD in Flow.

Yeah, I think you made that up :D

"LA is the place for you to be, to witness Dr Dre in surgery - he has a PHD in mixology, to cut on the wheels so viciously" - World Class Wreckin' Cru (Surgery, 1984)

I've never heard of anyone actually using the Beats streaming music services. They should have tried to purchase spotify or grooveshark instead. The beats brand will devalue the perception of Apple, they're overpriced, trashy headphones.

What perception? Its not 2010 anymore. Apple has been devaluing themselves ever since they let Steve Jobs kick the bucket with no clue what to do next.

Apple probably would have been better off developing their own streaming platform on the back of itunes.

They did. It flopped.

Either one has more charisma than Tim Cook. With marketing and branding being the most important aspect of Apple products, they might do well.

The power of the internet and Google search naturally make people more informed consumers so for Apple to come across a customer base of clueless willing to pay premium for mediocrity it's like discovering a gold mine plus Apple need to make up for their own shrinking customer base.

In what universe? iOS runs on the fastest hardware and still has the best apps. iDevice sales continue to grow while high end Android sales flatline or decline, depending on if you're Samsung or not.

The only place Android is growing is in low end hardware. Its why it pulls in under half the app revenue, ad revenue, and online traffic of iOS despite being on 5x as much hardware. The majority of Android hardware is low end stuff that's basically replacing dumbphones for most people.

On topic, Apple is getting Beats for Iovine and MOG/Beats Music. The headphones are gravy.

I've never heard of anyone actually using the Beats streaming music services. They should have tried to purchase spotify or grooveshark instead. The beats brand will devalue the perception of Apple, they're overpriced, trashy headphones. Apple probably would have been better off developing their own streaming platform on the back of itunes.

I had MOG since they were the only service streaming at a consistent 320kbps bit rate. I know MOG is supposed to be rolled into Beats Music accounts but I haven't seen it yet. I log into MOG and everything is still the same, so yeah.

The service seems good. No use for the headphones though, not letting go of my Sennheiser HD 598 anytime soon.

I have been personally thinking of this deal and its relevance to Apple.

1) Beats has a similar business model, Boutique goods.
Apple makes boutique goods in the way their product lineup, and its items are good. Beats are selling fancy items that are mediocre at best.

2) Beats offers Streaming service
itunes has that already. They could have purchased Pandora, or even Spotify for that instance, if they really needed that. Their homegrown service is hitting roadblocks, which is where the next reason is important.

3) Beats offers Executive support from one of the Sharks of the music biz.
Dre is good, but Jimmy is better. Hes a music shark, and I think he is the key to getting Itunes streaming licenses in the bag for Apple.

Again we don`t know the specifics, or even if the deal is legit till Monday so..all we can do it hypo, whats the deal there.

They both make overpriced designer crap and rely on celebrity/cult worship of their executives. Sounds like a match made in heaven. You can get much better headphones for much cheaper (here is a hint : having everything else drowned out by the bass does not make a good headphone).

Dr. Dre = some black guy who got rich singing about drugs, guns, and murder... just like any other rap star.

He did the same thing apple did, build a cult following of largely uneducated people selling them crap products in a fancy box with a pretty label. I won't lie -- I laugh my ass off every time I see someone wearing a set of beats headphones, they paid anywhere from 150 to 300 dollars for a cheap set of headphones with a built in equilizer to bass boost whatever the latest fad song is that glorifies drug use and abuse of women. (it's even funnier when some white kid is wearing said headphones)

They both make overpriced designer crap and rely on celebrity/cult worship of their executives. Sounds like a match made in heaven. You can get much better headphones for much cheaper (here is a hint : having everything else drowned out by the bass does not make a good headphone).

And I agree with you on the headphons, but have to disagree you on the phone. Modern day touch based smartphones owe their rise to fame thanks to Apple. That being said, Samsung htc and no other device mfg owes apples nothing now, and the market is theirs to capture, and they have. However apple still dominates with devices that impresses, can't really knock them for doing one thing amazingly.

Same thing with beats. As I said their headphones are mediocre at best, and this isn't just me talking, as other reviewers can provide cheaper alternatives. However they know the game better then anyone, hype and sell. Other established players have had eons to win over the crowds, but they haven't and relied purely on talent and that's their business plan.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what the company does to survive, do they rely on device merits or market that crap out of something. We as consumers stand to benefit the most.

Dr. Dre = some black guy who got rich singing about drugs, guns, and murder... just like any other rap star.

Our entertainment culture across the spectrum though has LOTS of content with the same themes and elements. From movies, music, TV and video games. Breaking Bad (which I loved), one the most critically acclaimed TV shows of our time with Bryan Cranston winning three consecutive Emmys for his now iconic character, is all about guns, drugs and murder. I can appreciate people not liking hard core rap because of its content but rap is far from unique in its graphic expression of bad stuff.

They didn't buy them for the headphones. The industry forces they get with Dr. Dre and Jimmy Lovine (especially him) are hard to compete with, very very hard to compete with. While they could have just hired these guys from the beginning they'd be labeled as sellouts.

He did the same thing apple did, build a cult following of largely uneducated people selling them crap products in a fancy box with a pretty label. I won't lie -- I laugh my ass off every time I see someone wearing a set of beats headphones, they paid anywhere from 150 to 300 dollars for a cheap set of headphones with a built in equilizer to bass boost whatever the latest fad song is that glorifies drug use and abuse of women. (it's even funnier when some white kid is wearing said headphones)

While on the front he may be the dumb rapper who sings about stupid stuff, he is a pretty good business man who is constantly looking for ways to make a buck (i.e. without him Eminem would have never skyrocketed to fame, and slapping his name (which is synonymous with music) on an expensive eyecandyish headphone).

DrDre said:
Y'all know me, still the same ol' G
But I been low key
Hated on by most these n*
Wit no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys
No boats, no snowmobiles and no ski's
Mad at me
'Cause I can finally afford to provide my family wit groceries

You know what, I can't wait to see his next music video.

Apple already has a significantly larger built in userbase with iTunes compared with Beats. How the hell can Beats, after six months, have a streaming service worth buying that a company like Apple couldn't develop on their own?

TIL: The company behind iTunes can't have a streaming service without buying out another company for 3Bil.

In what universe? iOS runs on the fastest hardware and still has the best apps. iDevice sales continue to grow while high end Android sales flatline or decline, depending on if you're Samsung or not.

The only place Android is growing is in low end hardware. Its why it pulls in under half the app revenue, ad revenue, and online traffic of iOS despite being on 5x as much hardware. The majority of Android hardware is low end stuff that's basically replacing dumbphones for most people.

On topic, Apple is getting Beats for Iovine and MOG/Beats Music. The headphones are gravy.

Sooooooooo much misinformation here.

http://solutions-review.com/mobile-...-android-beats-apple-in-tablet-sales-in-2013/

>Gartner: Android Beats Apple in Tablet Sales in 2013

>According to a new report from technology analyst Gartner, worldwide tablet sales grew 68 Percent in 2013, and most noteworthy, Android captured 62% of the market – an increase of 127% year over year.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/27/iphon...to-fall-but-its-samsung-feeling-the-pressure/

Apple has lost market share in EVERY SINGLE MAJOR MARKET COUNTRY.

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-play-app-downloads-beat-apple-2014-4

By differentiating between "low end stuff" purely based on price is to ignore that Apple is in the market of selling ordinary products as premium.

When it comes down to function, all things are generally equal. Apple is losing market share. Their revenue is down, their app sales are down, their online traffic and ad impressions are down, their app downloads are down, and, of course, their relevance is down.

The only place where apple still wins is total revenue from App Store. And guess what? That's down, too.

If Apple needs to buy a company like Beats to remain relevant, they're in trouble.

Pointless to discuss facts with someone who's the perfect example of "clueless willing to pay premium for mediocrity". Let him falsely think iPhone is high end when in reality it's barely as good as a budget Android device like the Moto G.

Trashiness aside, Apple products are generally overpriced, so from that perspective, they're a good fit. The headphones don't sound great, but I know A LOT of people who like them. They're basically like Bose. People who care about audio hate them, but every one else loves them. Hell, i know people who care about audio that love them.

Sooooooooo much misinformation here.

http://solutions-review.com/mobile-...-android-beats-apple-in-tablet-sales-in-2013/

>Gartner: Android Beats Apple in Tablet Sales in 2013

>According to a new report from technology analyst Gartner, worldwide tablet sales grew 68 Percent in 2013, and most noteworthy, Android captured 62% of the market – an increase of 127% year over year.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/27/iphon...to-fall-but-its-samsung-feeling-the-pressure/

Apple has lost market share in EVERY SINGLE MAJOR MARKET COUNTRY.

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-play-app-downloads-beat-apple-2014-4

By differentiating between "low end stuff" purely based on price is to ignore that Apple is in the market of selling ordinary products as premium.

When it comes down to function, all things are generally equal. Apple is losing market share. Their revenue is down, their app sales are down, their online traffic and ad impressions are down, their app downloads are down, and, of course, their relevance is down.

The only place where apple still wins is total revenue from App Store. And guess what? That's down, too.

If Apple needs to buy a company like Beats to remain relevant, they're in trouble.

Keen example of why we should be reading our linked articles before we submit our posts.
In your post you clearly state the reason why you personally think apple is crap, and a failing company and how they're losing relevance. And yes the articles that were posted agree that apple indeed is losing market share, however they mention at the very end, that market share dominance is not a key indicator in a company's health, rather profit margins are.

Android makers have products with profit margins that are nonexistent, whereas apple deals with huge margins, and thus they don't quite have to worry when theyre taken home the bacon for only themselves as they control production, distribution, research and development, pretty much everything.

This debate is similar to comparing Porsches market share to say Ford, yes ford does sell more volume, but Porsche makes more money for each vehicle sold.

I'm not trying to spark debate, and the original point of this thread is lost if we do, but before the apple vs android folk boot up, and start acting like the folk in those lumia commercials, lets just see what they release from Cupertino regarding the beats deal.

Back