Drakensang The River of Time - coming soon!

WabeWalker

Supreme [H]ardness
Finally, something concrete.

http://www.direct2drive.com/1/10214/product/Buy-Drakensang:-The-River-of-Time-Download

Drakensang was the title I played during the summer of 2009, and, for me, it was supposed to be the 'warm up' act to Dragon Age - except that, in hindsight, I can see I had way more fun playing through Drakensang (you don't have to say it... I realize I'm in the vast minority here). The sequel has been available in non-English languages for a while, and because the developer has had financial problems as of late it was feared (chiefly by me) that the English version would never be released.

Well, it looks like it's coming soon - no date though.

And check out the price. That's for a new title. And don't let the price fool you - this game has high production values. In my opinion, Drakensang was way better looking than Dragon Age. Also, this will be coming to Steam as well. I'll post back when I find out the release date. I hope it's soon!

Edit: Impulse is reporting a release date of January 11'th - Yowsa!

http://www.impulsedriven.com/drakensang2

Last edited:
I need to play more of Drakensang. I started playing it, but never got far. I did enjoy it though.

I have a few friends in europe who say RoT is better than the first, a definite improvement. I thought the first one was pretty good. It was an actual crpg, definitely worth the money for me.

I didn't really like this game. It was just too damn slow. Clicking on skills and animations took way too long, and everything was just really cumbersome. Beautiful graphics and music, though.

Also, this isn't a fault of the game itself but the damn ruleset is too fucking complicated. I had no clue how to create my character and all that and which skills to choose but I guess that stems from me never being into Dungeons and Dragons and games with complicated systems like this one.

How is the original drakenseng for someone who has no clue what these pen and paper rules of 'dark eye' are?

The stats and rule are a little complicated, however if you take the time to learn them the game is fairly easy. The game is also easily modified because everything is stored in the save file. If you follow a guide, or look at what others have done you can easily create a custom class to play the game with. For example I made a main character that used rapiers and summoned fire elementals.

How is the original drakenseng for someone who has no clue what these pen and paper rules of 'dark eye' are?

Drakensang has been on sale for $5 in the past - and since I spent roughly 60 hours on it, it's difficult for me not to recommend it.

I was familiar with the D&D ruleset before playing Drakensang, and found leveling in this game to be an utter mystery - it was all very much just a guessing game, much like it was when I played my first computer role playing game with the D&D ruleset.

Here's the demo for the original game.

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/13415/Drakensang:+The+Dark+Eye+Demo

I'm not sure if the demo ever included the high res texture pack or not? The original game had the texture pack, and I thought it looked fantastic.

The stats and rule are a little complicated, however if you take the time to learn them the game is fairly easy. The game is also easily modified because everything is stored in the save file. If you follow a guide, or look at what others have done you can easily create a custom class to play the game with. For example I made a main character that used rapiers and summoned fire elementals.

Yeah, we love Drakensang, don't we, guy. A good point is being made here. When I played Drakensang it was fairly new. By now there should be leveling guides available.

Wabe, I remember you saying something about hating Dragon Age because when you clicked on a skill, you sat there and waited for your guy to act it out. Drakensang is even WORSE.

Wabe, I remember you saying something about hating Dragon Age because when you clicked on a skill, you sat there and waited for your guy to act it out. Drakensang is even WORSE.

What I said was that Dragon Age felt exactly like Guild Wars - and it did.

In Dragon Age, like in Guild Wars, all you do is line up your talents and slot them in a logical order in your quickbar. Then you just cycle through the numbers and wait for the cool downs to take place. 1 2 3 4... 1 2 3 4... I seriously could not believe that Dragon Age had far, far more in common with Guild Wars than it did with Baldur's Gate.

Drakensang, in contrast, is much more old school, and quite frankly, it's not surprising that it's European.

Right now, the best and most innovative titles are coming out of Europe, and I suspect that Drakensang 2 will be another. Hugely looking forward to this. And surprisingly it looks like it will be released on Tuesday.

A really nice thread here from the official forum.

The OP asks why he should even buy Drakensang 2, now that the developer is out of business. Some really great responses. People complain like crazy about games that are 'consolized', but then, when presented with an old school RPG that's a pure PC game, they ignore it.

http://forum.dtp-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=223&t=17429

What I said was that Dragon Age felt exactly like Guild Wars - and it did.

In Dragon Age, like in Guild Wars, all you do is line up your talents and slot them in a logical order in your quickbar. Then you just cycle through the numbers and wait for the cool downs to take place. 1 2 3 4... 1 2 3 4... I seriously could not believe that Dragon Age had far, far more in common with Guild Wars than it did with Baldur's Gate.

I think... you're the only person I've heard say that Dragon Age and Guild Wars are similar. The way you described it pretty much describes most MMO's / RPG's that have a quickbar with 1 2 3 4 etc. hotkeys... :confused:

I think... you're the only person I've heard say that Dragon Age and Guild Wars are similar. The way you described it pretty much describes most MMO's / RPG's that have a quickbar with 1 2 3 4 etc. hotkeys... :confused:

No way, ho-zay.

This cool down thing is relatively new to RPGs. The D&D ruleset was vastly superior. When you used up your spells, that was it - you were done until you got the chance to rest again.

I foolishly assumed that Dragon Age (which was supposed to be Bioware's... ahem... 'return to its PC roots'... yeah whatever), was going to force players to strategize in a similar manner. Nope. We got five second cool downs, just like in Guild Wars. I played DA exactly as I played GW, the only difference being that in DA, obviously, I had a party to manage.

Anyhow, buy Drakensang 2, don't buy it... your loss if you don't, especially at that price, which is quite frankly ridiculous... from what I've read about this title, it's almost a certainty that I'll spend dozens of hours on it... for $18.

I'm just happy that we're getting it... and so soon. It is a great gift, my friends.

Then I guess DA:O plays like Guild Wars, WOW, Divinity 2, SRO, AoC, Lineage, Aion, Cabal, etc. etc.

I think you should have just stopped at "DA:O is not like Buldar's Gate", because I've put over a thousand hours in Guild Wars and comparing the two is just asinine. It's hard to follow your recommendations when you make statements like that. Kind of makes one wonder.

It's like saying Metro2033 plays just like Counter-Strike because you use the left mouse button to fire your gun.

Back