Dreamfall: The Longest Journey? Any Good?

USMC2Hard4U

Supreme [H]ardness
I looked it up on gamespot, it got an 8.1... but what do you all think? Only reason Im asking is I want a new game and its available via steam...

Worth it?

it's a good game. not sure if it's worth the money they're charging on steam for it.

Very engrossing story, the gameplay is a bit meh, though. The game also sort of... pissed me off when it ended. Good game, though.

Also, you should us a 360 controller for it. The PC controls suck.

I think it's worth it, I had a lot of fun with it. The ending did aggravate me too, but if you like adventure games, this is an excellent one.

Awesome game! I finished it on Sunday. Great, complex, original, fascinating storyline kept me riveted from beginning to end. There's a prequel, The Longest Journey, that's been rated even higher. I just ordered it from Amazon for $12 shipped.

How is the story?

Im usualy into stuff like final fantasy type stories... FF7 of course, being the fav.

Check the website: http://www.dreamfall.com/

This definitely falls in the fantasy, role-playing, adventure category. Very little combat takes place, so if you need lots of fighting Dreamfall will probably disappoint you.

Last question. Does it support Widescreen Resolutions? More specifically 1680x1050. If so, im down.

Yup! I played it at 1920x1200 and it looked great.

Try the demo. That's what sold me.

Awesome. So Sorta OT but, is it only EA Games who are behind without their Native Widescreen support now or what? WTF.

Sounds good, Im gonna grab the Demo and if its good to go, I will purchase the game tomorrow. Thanks.

Pretty good game but its not a very long journey. I prefer the orginal (which is also a short journey but has absolutely aggrivating 'puzzles'), which is pretty much required playing considering it's ment to be a trilogy.

The combat is pretty lame though, wish they left it out. Definitely looking forward to the sequal.

I think one of the most impressive things about the game is the voice acting. It's... good! It keeps you engag

i think one of the best things about the game is the voice acting. It's actually good! ...which is nice considering most of the game is people talking.

I thought it was worth my time and money.
It's pretty short, but the story is good and the graphics and voice acting are great.
I remember really wishing the locations were real places that I could visit.
I don't get that feeling very often when playing games.
It'd be best to play The Longest Journey first, but the story recap in the manual tells you
the important things, so it's not essential.

yeah teh game is alright, the fighting is really a pain the arsch !!

I remember really wishing the locations were real places that I could visit. I don't get that feeling very often when playing games.
Wow... I had those exact thoughts as I played DF. I've only felt that way when engrossed in a really good novel like "Neverwhere."

I really enjoyed the game, I just wish there was more. I can't wait for the next one and I hope it clears up a lot of things.

Sequel to one of my favorite games of all time. I picked this up at my Target for $7.99. Its worth it.

I could be happy with an episodic continuation of the story, but turning it into an MMO???

No thanks, Ragnar! :mad:

they said it wouldnt require the mmo to get the rest of the story but i still say no
i dont like mmo's and fees

I think an MMO concept of this game would be quite interesting. At least it wouldn't follow the typical Human/Elf/Orc concepts.

It's disappointing they've decided to go to episodes to continue the story, but it's better than letting it end all together. The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are some of the best adventure games ever.

i really liked dreamfall. but i am an adventure game fan and i ADORED the longest journey. If you are buying it cold, yeah its a very good game, if you are buying it as a sequel, its a great game.

that being said if anyone needs the first one there is a store around here that has a bunch in stock, if anyone wants it pm me and i'll grab it for ya (i think its like 7 bucks) and just cover that and shipping, this isn't for profit, i just know they have a stack they bought in a closeout.

I just finished it last week and overall it was a positive experience. The ending is terrible, which is a real shame because the story was so unbelievably engrossing. As mentioned the voice acting is spectacular, among the best ever, and the environments are beautiful and creative. The gameplay is hit-or-miss, with the combat sequences standing out as being particularly awful.

It's definitely worth playing through, I don't think it's worth the $40 or whatever Steam is charging for it.

It's definitely worth playing through, I don't think it's worth the $40 or whatever Steam is charging for it.

Haven't played this or The Longest Journey yet, but if your local Best Buy has any in stock after their price slashing a few weeks ago, the xbox version of Dreamfall was being sold for 1.99 I think (may have been 4.99, but either way, insanely cheap).

It wasn't on the online lists, so if you're lucky it might still be around, or maybe they have some in the back or something.

I just finished it last week and overall it was a positive experience. The ending is terrible, which is a real shame because the story was so unbelievably engrossing. As mentioned the voice acting is spectacular, among the best ever, and the environments are beautiful and creative. The gameplay is hit-or-miss, with the combat sequences standing out as being particularly awful.

Well, apparently there is going to be more chapters... which makes the ending a bit less IRRITATING. They had better keep going or I am going to be pissed.

I just finished the XB version, so I can't speak of the PC version, but the game itself, and I am confident enough in my manhood to say it anonymously on an internet message board to other anonymous internet message board users (it's serious business after all), that it is a beautiful game. Sure it doesn't have the Crysis graphics, or explosions, ultraviolence, DDD cups bouncing around, the AAA gameplay, but the story is excellent and easy to follow, kept me wanting to go on. The character development and interaction felt satisfying without being too deep and boring. The artwork and locales and level design are superb for the limitations in the XB. I don't look forward to an MMO, but I will have to play it if it comes to that. The cliffhanger is nuts. Episodic would be okay by me as long as it doesn't suffer the same fate as SiN. The frequency of releases of Sam & Max should be a model for all episodic games.

I just finished the XB version, so I can't speak of the PC version, but the game itself, and I am confident enough in my manhood to say it anonymously on an internet message board to other anonymous internet message board users (it's serious business after all), that it is a beautiful game. Sure it doesn't have the Crysis graphics, or explosions, ultraviolence, DDD cups bouncing around, the AAA gameplay, but the story is excellent and easy to follow, kept me wanting to go on. The character development and interaction felt satisfying without being too deep and boring. The artwork and locales and level design are superb for the limitations in the XB. I don't look forward to an MMO, but I will have to play it if it comes to that. The cliffhanger is nuts. Episodic would be okay by me as long as it doesn't suffer the same fate as SiN. The frequency of releases of Sam & Max should be a model for all episodic games.

Had the XB version used. Dirty Disc error after the first chapter on the XB and my 360. Exchanged it for a PC version and I must say with my 7800GT and all effects turned up, the PC verison blows it out of the water. Hell it could have been a XB360 game.

Also the PC version has support for widescreen, X-Fi EAX and controller support is flawless.

That being said, this game has an awesome story, but even better voice acting.

I just started playing Dreamfall's prequel, The Longest Journey. The graphics are really dated, but I'm already getting the same feeling of "wonder and big storytelling" that made Dreamfall such a great game.

Had the XB version used. Dirty Disc error after the first chapter on the XB and my 360. Exchanged it for a PC version and I must say with my 7800GT and all effects turned up, the PC verison blows it out of the water. Hell it could have been a XB360 game.

Also the PC version has support for widescreen, X-Fi EAX and controller support is flawless.

That being said, this game has an awesome story, but even better voice acting.
Thanks for the input, was about to buy the XB version but I'll have to go for the PC version and play through it again :D I agree on the voice acting.

Wolf, thanks for posting about the prequel, I have tracked down places to get it cheap, amazingly also on DVD, pretty high tech for 2000. It was only until recently that damn near all PC games came on eleventy CD's. Can't wait.

I would recommend a playthrough of Beyond Good & Evil to you guys.

Wolf, thanks for posting about the prequel, I have tracked down places to get it cheap, amazingly also on DVD, pretty high tech for 2000. It was only until recently that damn near all PC games came on eleventy CD's. Can't wait.

I got TLJ on DVD from Amazon for $12 shipped. The DVD version is a huge bonus. You can install the entire game and not need the DVD in your drive. :D

I would recommend a playthrough of Beyond Good & Evil to you guys.

I can second that. Unlike Dreamfall it actually has a fun combat system. Unfortunately there is no proper widescreen support, it just stretches. :(

Some more news relating to the episodic sequal: http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/15/2245236

Apparently Funcom will not be doing any more offline games because of the age old excuse of piracy. Guess we an expect online activation or something like Steam for it. Invasive DRM and the like sucks :(

I just finished Dreamfall the other day and loved every minute of it, the combat was a little lackluster but the storyline more than made up for it. I'm gonna start playing The Longest Journey when I get off work in a few hours.

I go to FPS games to get my combat fix. I was pleased at the very minor role combat played in Dreamfall. The story was much more cerebral and encompassing; too much combat would've served no purpose.

I agree, but if that was the best they could do with the fighting they should have left it out entirely. It was distracting and annoying, really the weakest part of the gameplay. The game would have been better served by cutting out those parts completely.

I just finished Dreamfall the other day and loved every minute of it, the combat was a little lackluster but the storyline more than made up for it. I'm gonna start playing The Longest Journey when I get off work in a few hours.

I'm doing the same thing with TLJ after finishing Dreamfall. TLJ's graphics are really dated, but the game "grabbed me" in the same way as did DF. Have fun!

I agree, but if that was the best they could do with the fighting they should have left it out entirely. It was distracting and annoying, really the weakest part of the gameplay. The game would have been better served by cutting out those parts completely.
I agree. They can leave out all combat in the sequels/episodes and I'd be A-OK with it.

Back