Driver problem with ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe

=Vector=

Limp Gawd
Well i was able to FINALLY get my new system setup (specs in sig) and windows installed fine with no problems. However, i can't seem to get the mobo drivers to install, the ones on the CD i got don't work (don't know what version they are though) and i tried to use the latest 6.66 drivers, but to no avail.

Basically what happens is i install the drivers and restart the computer but no matter what when the XP load screen comes up it just sits there. So i restart the comp and windows asks if i want to go in safe mode, i did and i unistalled the drivers, restart again, and windows loads just fine...i did this both when i installed the drivers from the CD and the 6.66 drivers (they may be the same, i guess i should check)...

anybody got any ideas? i'm about to go back and try some other things but i'd like to know if there is an easy solution to this..

BTW i have a Rev. 1.02 with 1011 bios on my board....

EDIT: Problem solved

Looking at the website, it says the 6.66 drivers are for Win2K / Win2003 and the 6.65 are for WinXP.

well according to nvidia it doesn't

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_amd_6.66.html

and that wouldn't explain why the drivers off of the CD don't work either

anyways i just tried installing the graphics drivers (78.01) and they work just fine (and by that i mean, windows actually loads with them installed)

why is it that whenever i try to install only parts of the driver (i.e. i only try to install the ethernet drivers instead of the IDE, SMbus, or audio) and it still installs all of it anyway?

anything in the BIOS i should be turning on/off that might somehow fix this?

EDIT: oh and i have SP2 already if that helps any

so no one has a clue as to what my problem is? or rather does anybody know how to fix it? cause i seem to be able to load drivers for other devices (like my logitech mouse drivers and my graphics drivers, haven't done any other yet) so i guess i should ask has anyone had problems with installing the motherboard drivers?

When installing the NVIDIA drivers, skip the IDE driver. You may even need to roll back the IDE drivers to Microsoft manually. The NVIDIA ones are crap and have been known to cause these problems. You won't notice any difference between the generic Microsoft drivers for the IDE controllers and the ones from NVIDIA.

I actually had this problem, except it would actually eventually boot after a long, long pause.

Hurin said:
When installing the NVIDIA drivers, skip the IDE driver. You may even need to roll back the IDE drivers to Microsoft manually. The NVIDIA ones are crap and have been known to cause these problems. You won't notice any difference between the generic Microsoft drivers for the IDE controllers and the ones from NVIDIA.

I actually had this problem, except it would actually eventually boot after a long, long pause.

quoted for truth

i would bet that he is correct. skip those ide drivers and you should be just fine.

well, yeah i tried just installing the ethernet drivers (since i've decided to use onbaord instead of a add-in card) and it seems to just install everything reguardless of what i tell it to....

i don't know, i'll try the CD drivers again since i think i tried those only once and i told it to install everything instead of one thing...

well it seems to have worked this time, i changed some settings in the BIOS and it booted up just fine with the SMBus drivers and the Ethernet drivers...of course now it seems my ethernet cable has gone bad cause it keeps saying there's a short on LAN1 (or LAN2 depending on which one i plug it into) 5/6 and 7/8...guess i'll just have to figure something out for that one...anyways thanks for the help guys...

ok, everything seems to be working right now

this is officially my first post on my new computer....

and now, time for windows updates :( oh joy

Cool, glad it worked out for you! Happy to help out by sharing similar tales of woe. :)

H

yeah i've finally got everything the way i want it now, just gotta install some programs/games to REALLY test this thing out

oh and i would just like to say that my hatred for Creative's drivers have just went to new heights...took me like an hour and half to get the drivers and the update to actually install correctly so my sound didn't sound (no pun intended) like crap...but it seems to work fine now...

oh and i must say that the noise level in my new comp has dropped at least 80 to 90 % thanks to this XP-90 and the 92mm Panaflo fan, i am so glad i don't have to listen to that stupid thermaltake fan anymore, noisy little f***er it was :D and on top of that it keeps my new cpu about 20c cooler then my old one (XP2700+)....anyways i'll wait for at least a week before i fully evaluate my system, gotta test this thing like crazy...

Back