Driver Problems.

Mandane

Limp Gawd
Yes, my ISP happens to be SBC Yahoo DSL.

Well, all of their modem devices and adapters, etc, all come from 2Wire. Well, 2wire seemingly has zero Driver Support for any of their Hardware for the Linux OS.

Am I just like totally screwed over, or do I have any options besides buying hardware that does have driver support for Linux?

Mandane

I don't know how does Yahoo DSL service work, but I know how other services work. My point is: How do you actually connect to the service? Do you need some kind of special device drivers for Windows or anything, like the modem connects to the USB bus? I have a SpeedStream modem which offers both USB and Ethernet connection, I use its ethernet connection to get on-line, all I have to do is configure the connection in my distribution using the program it has (neat or system-config-network in FC2) and I'm all set. Basically you'll only need the drivers for your ethernet card, and since many distros nowadays support PPPoE in their kernels, it is really a snap. Could you please be a little bit more specific on what the actual problem is or describe to us how would you get on-line in Windows?

Well... the DSL modem is connected to my computer via an Ethernet port or USB. To be frank, I don't really think that it requires any special device drivers, because all of the documentation states that it shouldn't be required.

I don't mind configuring the modem manually... I just need to know if Linux will actually support it.

Mandane

If I can be of any more assistance, I will do my best.

Hey, thanks.

In general, I was just wondering if I would need any drivers or what not, but I followed your advice, and everything is fine now.

Just had to configure the Network info though....

Thanks,
Mandane

Back