Droid

Got a droid on Tuesday. I am pretty happy with it so far. I have experienced a few of the problems jodiuh had with the auto scrolling but quickly figured out it happens when I try to click quickly and it confuses it for a swipe. If you slow down slightly and are more deliberate you have no problems. It seems like jodiuh was getting frustrated and only exacerbating the problems.

I knew going in that the media playback was bad, but I wasn't really prepared for how bad the organization was. It is impossible to organize videos on this thing. They all need to be in their own separate folder because the gallery app doesn't list the name of the video file only shows a thumbnail of the first frame of the video. When you finally select the right file the playback is pretty good. Hopefully there will be a real media browser on the phone in the future.

I am also really looking forward to fennec (mobile firefox) because the default browser while pretty good just leaves a bit to be desired. Also getting flash 10 soon will be a nice plus. Finally the ability to get emulators on the phone is really nice. Maybe I will finally beat golden sun now (my original gba cart was corrupt about sixty percent through and nintendo wouldn't replace it).

Overall I am liking the phone a lot.

P.S. I wrote this entire post on the physical keyboard, it works pretty well for me and I don't get too many errors.

I am also really looking forward to fennec (mobile firefox) because the default browser while pretty good just leaves a bit to be desired.

Fennec isn't going to be coming out for Android. Google only allows apps to be programed in Java and Mozilla has said that Fennec is programmed with AJAX and would not use Java.

Fennec isn't going to be coming out for Android. Google only allows apps to be programed in Java and Mozilla has said that Fennec is programmed with AJAX and would not use Java.

ouch, that a big bummer.

I've been having rebooting with my Droid for the past few days. So far, seems to have gone away once I switched my work email account from POP3 over to IMAP. Phone was wigging out trying to do POP3.

oh yeah, can't wait for the Dec 11 firmware - hopefully the camera bugs get worked out.

Macromedia flash player early next year will also be quite nice.

That's odd, considering that mozilla has said it is coming to android....

AJAX is a technology that runs IN a browser, it is not a language used to write browsers with. AJAX is essentially asynchronous javascript calls within a web page to a web service.

Fennec is probably written in C++, and Droid does not allow that sort of low level access. It only allows java apps running in a VM, whereas the native browser running in Android does not have that limitation. There is a weird series of restrictions and workarounds underlying Android - it technically doesn't compile Java sourcecode into Java bytecode, it compiles it into Davlik (who makes up these names?).

Until recently I thought Android was just a mobile version of Linux, but it's pretty far removed. I believe Fennec will be released for Android, but there must be a lot of specialization for Android, so I would expect it will always lag the major releases by a bit (unless it gets a lot of developer attention.)

Ok so I realy want the droid and will probably pick it up tomarow but I would like to know a few things.

1rst is there going to be a better phone with in the next few months? if so what (and what specs/upgrades are we talking about)

2nd can I play my anime on the droid? they are mostly h264 but some are divx or xvid? will they need to be re-encoded?

3rd can you realy play gameboy games or even DS games on the droid (I have read on some of the other forums that there are emulators either out or coming out to do just that)?

4th. I have NEVER had anything other then a BB so I'm VERY new to the smartphone market. How rugged are they and should I have insurance on it. I don't do anything that is very active I set at my desk and tell people what to do and I have never broke my BB in 4 years so I don't think I need it but don't know how fragile they are. It seems it would be VERY fragile as it has that huge screen but I don't know anything about how well there built.

5th. can you upgrade the flash ram from the 16G it comes with to like 32 or even 64 gig??

HEHE thats all I can think of right now but any other n00b answers you can provide would be awesome :p

Thanks for the help

That's odd, considering that mozilla has said it is coming to android....

AJAX is a technology that runs IN a browser, it is not a language used to write browsers with. AJAX is essentially asynchronous javascript calls within a web page to a web service.

Fennec is probably written in C++, and Droid does not allow that sort of low level access. It only allows java apps running in a VM, whereas the native browser running in Android does not have that limitation. There is a weird series of restrictions and workarounds underlying Android - it technically doesn't compile Java sourcecode into Java bytecode, it compiles it into Davlik (who makes up these names?).

Until recently I thought Android was just a mobile version of Linux, but it's pretty far removed. I believe Fennec will be released for Android, but there must be a lot of specialization for Android, so I would expect it will always lag the major releases by a bit (unless it gets a lot of developer attention.)

Here is where I read it, hopefully not true since Fennec looks really nice. http://www.androidguys.com/2008/11/11/no-fennec-for-android/

Ok so I realy want the droid and will probably pick it up tomarow but I would like to know a few things.

1rst is there going to be a better phone with in the next few months? if so what (and what specs/upgrades are we talking about)

2nd can I play my anime on the droid? they are mostly h264 but some are divx or xvid? will they need to be re-encoded?

3rd can you realy play gameboy games or even DS games on the droid (I have read on some of the other forums that there are emulators either out or coming out to do just that)?

4th. I have NEVER had anything other then a BB so I'm VERY new to the smartphone market. How rugged are they and should I have insurance on it. I don't do anything that is very active I set at my desk and tell people what to do and I have never broke my BB in 4 years so I don't think I need it but don't know how fragile they are. It seems it would be VERY fragile as it has that huge screen but I don't know anything about how well there built.

5th. can you upgrade the flash ram from the 16G it comes with to like 32 or even 64 gig??

HEHE thats all I can think of right now but any other n00b answers you can provide would be awesome :p

Thanks for the help

1) There are always better phones coming out, that's just the way the tech world works. There is something called the HTC Passion coming to Verizon sometime supposedly but there are no details.

2) As far as I can tell, only h264 works. No xvid or divx.

3) There are emulators for the Gameboy, NES, SNES and Genesis in the Android Market.

4) I always recommend insurance on phones like these since they cost about $600 to replace if you beak it or lose it.

5) The 16gb is actually a 16gb microSD card. There are 32gb cards but they are expensive.

Has there been any update or news on when the passion will come out? I havnt heard anything but i am trying to wait a little longer to get the droid to see if the passion is going to come out.

Also i have been hearing mixed things about the battery life. is there a larger battery you can buy? I will probably be using the phone a lot through out the day so i want to make sure it can at least last through one day.

Has there been any update or news on when the passion will come out? I havnt heard anything but i am trying to wait a little longer to get the droid to see if the passion is going to come out.

i am in the same boat as you. But I have decided to forgo passion, unless it comes with a physical keyboard.

After using the CLIQ for the last month, I have come to realize how imp physical kebo is for a smartphone.

I will also be holding off off DROID due to blandness of the UI. I like the HTC Sense UI the best for it's looks. I will be waiting for next HTC android phone that has a physical kebo and as fast as the DROID.

I have a Droid and a Touch. The Droid feels like a phone and fits better in the hand than the Touch. The screen resolution/sharpness quality.....there is no comparison.

I wanted a separate unit to store my music (and not run my Droid's battery to h*ll) and my 8 gig nano was getting overloaded.....hence the 32 gig Touch. Very impressed with the Touch though.....have loaded up with the apps and connect via wifi. Taking the phone out of the equation both are almost equally appealing to me for different reasons. But Verizon has been the best carrier for me by far.

Now load up your Droid with Wifi Internet Sharing and welcome to nirvana. :D That's what I do with my WinMo phone and it's the most awesome thing. Although it runs the battery down very quickly.

Got my droid today OMG its awesome!!! I love all the apps and there are soo many of them. Almost all of them are free too!!! There are some that are pay only but none that I wanted so its pritty cool. I've been messing with orb for a while now and it works but I wish it was better quality.

Anyone know of a way to stream your files to your phones?

also I found one glitch so far and thats a youtube glitch. Youtube won't let you log in unless you change your email to the gmail account that you created. Other then that everything works without issue. I used the google nav to get home and man its cool to see satilite pics as your driving down the road LMAO.

A full day with my Droid and I am in love so far. I haven't even finished configuring everything and yet I don't want too cause I am having so much fun. This my first smart phone, first touch screen too. Once I figured out where everything was and motion of swiping I can navigate it pretty well now. I transferred my music, some pics, (I haven't tried video yet) onto it, also cut up some mp3s to make my own ring tones and notifications.

The Facebook sync is pretty cool too, with the way it pulls in everyone information lol. Also kind of scary seeing that I now have a lot of peoples numbers that I really don't care if I have or not (go go drunk dialing :D)

I still have a lot to play with if you guy want to recommend any apps that you think essential let me know!

Be sure to visit phandroid.com

Here are some apps I use.

Advanced Task Killer

US Traffic
Pandora
Weather Channel

Speed test
Wifi Analyzer
MotoTorch (flashlight ap that uses LED flash not just the screen)
Google Sky

Games
Coloroid
Cribbage
Barrage Lite (scorched earth anyone?)
Lbryrinth Lite
RPG dice
SuperYatzy
Zebra paint (got a kid - she loves it)
Magic 8-ball (surprisingly popular with my child)
Flying Aces (playing air traffic control)
Chickitionary (word game0
Slidewords (not sure if I like this one yet)
mem (old my Simon)
sodoku (hey, I *still* don't like them! lol)

Language
TALK TO ME (essential IMO)

barcode scanner

cardiotrainer

trivia
the american presidents
50 states
phobia

Be sure to visit phandroid.com

Here are some apps I use.

Advanced Task Killer

Phandroid has a wealth of info. There are some good threads about the pros/cons of using a task killer. I'm still on the fence but I've noticed an improvement since I've uninstalled it and stopped obsessing about killing processes/programs. GDE homescreen app(which is the tits btw) seems to be more responsive.

My Droid crashed 15 times since I got it Friday. I returned it today and reordered through Dell for $100 cheaper ($80 price + tax difference on paying for tax on $300 before rebate).

I'm going to really miss it for a few days.

Where do you see Flash in the browser? Or is that sarcasm? If so, then Flash is coming sometime next year.

I think keshavcharya is saying he likes that the browser opens youtube flash videos in the youtube player app on the droid.

or maybe he is being sarcastic, lol.

My Droid crashed 15 times since I got it Friday. I returned it today and reordered through Dell for $100 cheaper ($80 price + tax difference on paying for tax on $300 before rebate).

must be really great if you miss something that crashes 15 times in 4 days:rolleyes:

Bit the bullet and got a Moto Droid, have 30 days to return it anyway. So far I'm loving the speed and UI over my Storm 1. Still feeling extremely awkward on the physical keyboard though. I wish I could have the Storm 1's keyboard layout while in portrait mode =/

Now load up your Droid with Wifi Internet Sharing and welcome to nirvana. :D That's what I do with my WinMo phone and it's the most awesome thing. Although it runs the battery down very quickly.

It's one of the first things I did when I set up the phone. I have it off most of the time now as I'm doing alot of switching and configuring among GDE, DX Top, and home default.....trying to find the best set up for me. And that sucks up alot of juice. Right now my default is GDE but DX Top is very tempting.

Being that the Android 2.0 OS is so new, there are lots of apps that are still having issues until the DEVs of said apps fix them. I try not to install too much all at one time, that way it is easier to find which app is killing your shit.

It crashed twice on the drive home before I even installed anything. It also crashed first time scrolling through the market for the first time. It was definitely one of the defective ones.

I use the task killer on itself by default, since some have thought the task killer was a drain on resources. I'm pretty sure I don't need a task killer, I just *like it.* Die cribbage, die.

It crashed twice on the drive home before I even installed anything. It also crashed first time scrolling through the market for the first time. It was definitely one of the defective ones.
Yeah, just to reiterate - if you get one that reboots, RETURN IT ASAP.

The motorola support forums have lots of info about how several phones in the 'early adopter' batch have manufacturing defects in the hardware which causes this problem and they'll never 'get better' from any software update.

Cant wait for Layar 3.0 myself.

phonemypc is also an awesome app....it's got a few bugs but they are working quickly to fix things.

Also loving this phone......screw the passion.

Anyone used the SNES Emulator yet? I love my droid so much lol

I purchased NESoid and have GameBoid lite. Both of these are fanFUCKINGtastic!
The option to allow the screen flip is great if you feel the need to use the D-pad on the left.
I've had no problems running any games so far.

I have had a couple problems on some games for SNES (including one of my favorites star fox) but I just beat super metroid and am half way thru super mario brothers.... like you said fanFUCKINGtastic...

You know, I just did a factory reset on my phone (not due to any problems- I just wanted to switch which gmail account was my primary account), and it seems like things are running even better now. Granted, I haven't bothered setting up any background apps like Loopt or Locale (in fact, I'm finding it easier just to manually monitor battery life), but things still seem snappier and some of the problems I was having (like the email-stuck-on-refresh one) seem to have been fixed.

Back