DS Lite Homebrew: anyone got the DS-X

I bought a 512mb version for a friend a while back, he loves it. He said that the MP3 player is kinda shitty thought. He's a douche and uses it mainly for playing pirated games. I must admit, if I was to get a DS, this would be my homebrew device of choice.

I'd recommend getting the 2gb (gigabyte, not gigabit) version.

The M3 DS Simply does the same but uses microSD cards and is cheaper i think. Last i checked the DS-X 2gb cost the same as a new DS :eek: . I picked up a Simply and 2gb microsd for half that (£45) on ebay.

any pros and cons of one vs. the other? i would assume the ds-x is better, since its $125 vs $70.

thanks for the advice. i lol'd at the douche comment.

My friend has the M3 simply. I tried it out and compared it to a diff friend's dsx. They both do exactly the same thing. I would get the M3 simply + microSD card b/c of price alone.

Main diff:

DSX = 1 piece size of a game
M3 = 1 piece size of game + microsd that fits neatly inside the piece

Both do not stick out.

why get the m3? its the r4 but with less update

get an r4

I own a 512 MB ds-x. They do not update this thing very frequently, as in every 3 months at least. I cannot comment on other companies, but the ds-x support is SLOW. However, they are quality updates when they do come. To illustrate, there have been two firmware updates since I bought this thing at Christmas.

the r4 had problem with some games , but an update make them work.

also , the r4 sleep mode doesnt work... you can put it to sleep but the battery ran out like a regular game

the r4 had problem with some games , but an update make them work.

also , the r4 sleep mode doesnt work... you can put it to sleep but the battery ran out like a regular game

Do you know if the M3 has this sleep mode problem?

R4 ... M3 ... Extremely similar. R4s are good (updated earlier too somewhat); you can't go wrong with either (unless the above is true). I'm thinking about getting a M3 just b/c my friends have them and are familiar with them.

M3 Simply is simply a rebadged R4 - just not updated as often. I personally have the R4 with a 1gb microSD and it's awesome. Videos look good, not that high of a res as a PSP - but hey, better than nothing. As for games, it has the best compatability of all Slot1 solutions - if you want to be able to run the browser, you might be interested in a Slot2 solution, a lot of people seem to recommend the 3in1 - you can check out the R4 American forums, just do a google search. As for ANY slot 1, you CANNOT play GBA backups, you need to look into getting the new G6 - it has built in emulators for most old systems, ranging from the Sega Master System to NES (and I think the SNES.) Check out out http://www.realhotstuff.com/g6-lite-4g-512-mb-p-100.html - only problem is size, but with that ability ... hot damn, your DS will be badass.

hmmm, i just ordered a R4 off dealextreme for 25.33 and free s/h, its the chinese version but already have the firmware patched for english, then i ordered a 1gb micro SD off newegg for 9.77+4.99 s/h, i can't find another slot 1 solution for much cheaper.

did you make sure youre 1gig card is made in japan? those are wayy faster card and can play heavier game

did you make sure youre 1gig card is made in japan? those are wayy faster card and can play heavier game

LOL, never heard of this crap, link to where it says that?

I believe its a patriot micro SD with 9x transfer, in the customer reviews others have said it works great with there R4. So i'm hoping to get everything before i go on vacation in august :)

Edit: specs:
Brand Patriot
Model PSF1GMCSD
Type MicroSD
Tech Spec
Capacity 1GB
Speed Read Speed up to 9MB/s (up to 60X)
Features Extremely portable & slim design
Low power consumption
Reliable Data Retention
Meets SD Association specifications
Compatible with all mobile devices with microSD or TransFlash Slot

i read about that in the scorpei wiki list of games working with the r4 , some arent working if its not a memcard from japan

Back