DS3 F9 BIOS

:eek: :eek: Damn, good find. Im glad I decided to keep this board as a back up. I wonder if I can scale higher then 462FSB using D9 MEM

Not all mirrors have the file as of this posting it seems, try them all. Should be mirrored to all their servers shortly I guess.

sweet, maybe I'll finally break my 3.6ghz barrier with this one.

flashed from F7 to F9, about 30 minutes ago. NO new BIOS's for 2 months, then all the sudden 2 in a week!

Did a run of 3dMark 2005 with Orthos in the background, while I'm downloading the updated version of 3dMark 2005. So far so good. Usually if there's a problem I'd notice it right away.

Though I've really never had ANY problems with this board.
My G.Skill ddr2 800 always booted right up, even with the F1 (or was it F2) bios that came with the board all the way back in August. The first few BIOS's were rough & didn't allow me to max my OC. But from about F5 on they were good. I'd been running F7 for the past 2 months.

I've been running my e6600 at 8x400 = 3.2Ghz, for the past few weeks since I did an overhaul of my cooling. Before that I'd run it at 334x9=3Ghz (with 2.5 dram ratio) for 2++ months.

So far so good, gotta go uninstall 3dMark2005 so I can reinstall new version, damn it I wish they had a patch instead of whole new program!

I'm going to run a few benchmarks, then let Orthos run over night. I'll post back results in the morning.

F9 is the best yet...... (although I have a S3 mobo so I am really using S3 F7 which we all know is probably identical to DS3 F9).

Long Story short I could not go over 450FSB at all doing ANYTHING.

After flashing with F9(S3.F7) I am 100% stable at 460FSB and can actually Post @480FSB which was previously unheard of (maybe I can make stable,however I can get into Windows, just Orthos fails very fast).

All the F8's were crap compared to this.

These are my following stats.

CPU [email protected] gig
FSB 460
Vcore 1.3V (undervolting)
Corsair 667 @ 920 (effective) +.4 (2.2V) *** this was important for me
G)MCH v: +2 *** this was important for me

**No cold boot issue seen yet

A final note, the F9 bios behaves better I noticed. Less farting around when you get a failed overclock.

whee guess I've got something to do this weekend other than drink myself stupid!

Results: 11 hours stress test passed last night at 8x400

Seems good enough to me. (same as F7, since I didn't have any problems with it either)

F7 maxed out at 473 FSB, though that FSB wasn't a good clock for my CPU. maybe I'll try it anyway just to see if it raised the motherboard limit.

My F9 experiences are as follows.

When I would fart with the settings in the bios and save for it to reboot, it would not bring the video back up and I would have to shut it down and bring it back up to get video. Also, now i cannot even get it to post. I have tried jumping the bios jumper and also tried taking the battery out with it unplugged and still no luck.

Anyone know how to make it boot up with the default bios settings? I have checked the proc and all is well with it, I now need to check my ram just to make sure but it is brand new corsair 800 and has been working for a while prior to the update.

yup, just tested ram and it all works fine. something wrong with the mobo

is there a manual way to revert to the second bios long enough to flash it back to f7 or flash it to f9 again?

atomriot said:
yup, just tested ram and it all works fine. something wrong with the mobo

is there a manual way to revert to the second bios long enough to flash it back to f7 or flash it to f9 again?

I don't think the DS3 or S3 has dual bios.

Bit odd a bios reset did not work

Have you tried a number of off's and on's, including case reset button and holding power in for 10 seconds to turn PC off opposed to wall.

What were the bios settings you changed?

yes, i have tried holding in the power button to power down each time and come back up. my case has not reset switch on it.

And it did boot a few times with the new bios, just things started showing up.

bios settings were oc'ing since i set up up to default speeds prior to the flashing.

I was looking at my memory through cpu-z and it was reading 5-5-5-18 when the memory has posted on it 4-4-4-12 so i was wondering at stock speeds why that was.

The last setting was everything at auto and the bus speed was set at 300 i think which isnt too much greater than the stock 266, and i have booted with the speed before. It would just be using its own timings rather than the memory timings default.

other than that nothing changed to my knowledge. I was able to go through a few different speeds with this bios prior to it not coming back. I was able to reattain my 3.51 but had to switch the memory multiplier to 2.5 from its bios given defaiult of 3. but it didnt seem to be as stable as the f7 i was using.

I have also tried to get the xrecovery disk and boot with it, the cd just spins up and the keyboard never comes on (i have a saitek eclipse and the backlight comes on when the machine finds it.)

That's basically what mine is doing, although I hadn't flashed or anything. That makes two dead DS3's for me...you may be in the same boat.

I have sent an email to Gigabyte usa support but they have a note saying that they will be out of offices until the second so no messages will be received. :(

hopefully we can find a fix soon. What caused your other ds3 to go down? is this a replaced one or another computer you have the second one in?

I have the infamous and well documented cold boot issues with both F8 and F9 so I'm sticking with F7, even if my X-Fi isn't recognized all the time and S3 resume doesn't work (completely locks up, requiring a CMOS reset). F9 did not like my F7 stable overclock until I bumped the voltage up by 0.0125V. My RAM is a bottleneck (460 max, OCZ Platinum Rev 2 PC6400) though it's not D9, just junky ProMOS stuff.

atomriot said:
What caused your other ds3 to go down? is this a replaced one or another computer you have the second one in?

First one was DOA. This one...perfect one day, dead the next.

I've had random issues with my ds3.. Like last night, i just restarted it, and it wouldn't boot up. stayed on the post screen. I moved the ram around, one stick at a time till I got it working. raised the ram voltage, and it works now. I had it at 3.51ghz for a while. not 'stable' by orthos, but I gamed on it for 5 hours this morning, and did some macromedia stuff.

I'm contemplating flashing it.

InCogneato said:
So can we use G. Skill ddr2 800 HZ 2v RAM yet :(

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231063

this is the only thing keeping me from buying this mobo. i really want it but it doesnt post with this ram cuz of the voltage! and i cant spend money on other RAM just to change bios settings to allow this RAM to work DAMN IT :(

Just got my Rev2 board and it booted right up with the HZ sticks. I assumed it just auto-detected them as 2.1v but it failed Orthos within 5 seconds...checked Easy Tune and they were at 1.9v.

ATW said:
Just got my Rev2 board and it booted right up with the HZ sticks. I assumed it just auto-detected them as 2.1v but it failed Orthos within 5 seconds...checked Easy Tune and they were at 1.9v.

so manually set ram to +.3v and get on your way.

At least it booted! Don't blame the motherboard for issues that are b/c of ram manufacturers.

IE: the ram manufacturers should program SPD for what the stick can run at with default voltage. So if the ram can only do 5-5-5-15 at 1.8v at ddr2 800. They need to program the SPD that way, and then explain for the true benefits of the ram you need to manually set voltage to 2.1v and SPD to x-x-x-xx, etc..

chrisf6969 said:
so manually set ram to +.3v and get on your way.

At least it booted! Don't blame the motherboard for issues that are b/c of ram manufacturers.

IE: the ram manufacturers should program SPD for what the stick can run at with default voltage. So if the ram can only do 5-5-5-15 at 1.8v at ddr2 800. They need to program the SPD that way, and then explain for the true benefits of the ram you need to manually set voltage to 2.1v and SPD to x-x-x-xx, etc..

You misunderstood me. I was just letting him know that it boots, but its at 1.9v so he'll have to adjust it. I wasn't badmouthing the board.

This is my response from gigabyte

Dear customer,

1) Please clear the CMOS by disconnecting the power cord from the power supply, the power connectors from the M/B and removing the CMOS battery for 2 minutes.
2) If the problem still persists, the BIOS chip might be corrupted/defective due to unsuccessful flash; please contact your vendor for checking out the M/B or the replacement, if under their warranty. If it's not, please contact our RMA department for reprogramming the BIOS chip.
( http://rma.gigabyte-usa.com )

Thank you
Guess I will try the local computer store one last time for a outright exchange and then head the RMA route.

Hey guys, new to the forum.

Will the F9 yield any benefits to someone who is NOT overclocking, like small performance yields, better compatibility with my components, etc?

I'm currently running the F7 that came with my Rev 2.0 board. I have an e6400, 2GB G. Skill, and ATI x1950xt. MY 3dmark06 score is 5671.

Thanks!

Hey guys, new to the forum.

Will the F9 yield any benefits to someone who is NOT overclocking, like small performance yields, better compatibility with my components, etc?

I'm currently running the F7 that came with my Rev 2.0 board. I have an e6400, 2GB G. Skill, and ATI x1950xt. MY 3dmark06 score is 5671.

Thanks!

BLASPHEMY!!! OVERCLOCK IT!!! NOW!!

its so easy, my grandma built an e6400 rig and has hers overclocked to 3.2Ghz.

BLASPHEMY!!! OVERCLOCK IT!!! NOW!!

its so easy, my grandma built an e6400 rig and has hers overclocked to 3.2Ghz.

lol it is easy, and I overclocked it to 2.88 for a day. The thing is, a 10 fps increase isn't worth the stress on my hardware (i'm stock cooled) when I'm already getting 100fps+ in games haha. At least that's the way I see it right now. When Crysis comes out then I'll invest in some new heatsinks and OC.

Is anyone having problems with thier X-Fi with this bios? I had to revert back to F5 from F7 to get mine to work properly. Was wondering if they had fixed it with this release.

edit: nope guess not, still having problems. It's not letting me get anywhere near the O/C I had under F5 either...guess I'll be rolling it back

I reflashed my to F7 again because F9 wouldnt boot and endless rebooting at 400. Had no problems at default either tho. No problems at 400 or higher on the F7

Is anyone having problems with thier X-Fi with this bios? I had to revert back to F5 from F7 to get mine to work properly. Was wondering if they had fixed it with this release.

The new bios fixed the issues I was having with my X-fi.

The only BIOS that 100% cures the XF-i issue is the F8i bios, and in my opinion, that is by far THE BEST BIOS for the DS3/S3;)

well i had some issues after i flash to F9 it wouldnt boot up .... i flash back to F6 since i didnt have ay problem at 400fsb ..

i will try it one more time and see if i can get it to work with out problems

This bios sucks.

First boot, all the fans blow at high speed for like 15 seconds, then it loads, but my overclock is reset. I maually re-do it, then there's like a 50/50 chance it'll work.

Soon as I find a floppy disk laying around it's back to F7 for me

ok well i have tryed to use this F9 but no luck!~ i have set everything like i did to my F6 and nothing... keeps reseting and after like 4 reset it goes back to default FSB..??

whats the deal F9 .. i guess it doesnt like me ohh well my F6 is working perfect at
cpuz1.jpg

What issue does the ds3 have with the X-FI? I just bought one, an X-FI, and my soundcard doesn't get detected every few boots. Does F8i fix this?

I've been running a rev.2 with F6 the whole time and my XFi xtrememusic has never failed to show up. What slot do the guys with the no-show issue have it in? Mine's in the last slot FWIW.

Originally, I installed it the second to last slot but that made the X-Fi disappear every other boot. Then I moved it to the last slot and it got better, only occasionally disappearing.

I've read in a few places that your old settings will probably not work...you have to start your OC from the beginning.

Did no one else read that any where?

I'm just curious why everyone is so surprised that their old settings don't work for OCing.

Yeah I think I read that over on XS, and it also seemed you had to loosen your memory timings from what earlier bioses had, but it's supposed to go higher. So I guess if your FSB increase isn't worth the perf. hit of looser timings, just go back to an earlier bios.

Back