DS3 or P5B???

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
going with a 6300 and I have OCZ PC6400 Plantinum DDR2 800 @ 4-3-3-8 2.1V (4x512)

the gigabyte looks better, but I heard about problems with the DS3 and High Voltage Ram :<

I have 20min to decide

I can't tell you for sure, but I've been reading on the DS3 (I'm planning on getting it), and I don't think that memory will work. I haven't decided what memory to go with myself for that board. If you already have the memory, I'd go with the P5B. But maybe someone else can confirm. ;)

Yea there are (again, from what I heard, no hands-on experience here). It just won't POST for Memory that's not 1.8v. If you have some lying around, you can post, change the voltage, and put in your other ram no problem. I think.

ManiacChart said:
Yea there are (again, from what I heard, no hands-on experience here). It just won't POST for Memory that's not 1.8v. If you have some lying around, you can post, change the voltage, and put in your other ram no problem. I think.

Well I do have some standard POS mem I can use ^^
going for the gigabyte thx guys

That sounds like a pain in the ass man. What if, when oc'ing, you have to reset CMOS, do you have to do this again and again?

The giga boards were what I was looking for too, and I also have the OCZ PC6400 platinums.

I'm looking into the abit ap9 pro, or the msi platinum from mwave at $175.

Yeah, those are nice enough boards, but it's a horse a piece with the memory issues. Just find/get an extra stick of 1.8v RAM with CAS of 5, and you'll be able to get to BIOS, change settings, and use better stuff. They're both good overclockers, though. I plan on going to 2.4 with my E6400 right away, maybe 2.8+ with a non-stock HS/F.

well
I got it and its working :D
even better news, the cpu hit 2.8ghz and the mobo hit 400mhz FSB on stock Vs! :O
hmmmm the ram seemed to work ok, if you reset the Cmos i believe it defaults ur mem speed to 533 doesnti t ?

deeznuts said:
That sounds like a pain in the ass man. What if, when oc'ing, you have to reset CMOS, do you have to do this again and again?

The giga boards were what I was looking for too, and I also have the OCZ PC6400 platinums.

I'm looking into the abit ap9 pro, or the msi platinum from mwave at $175.

I have this RAM and a DS3 and an E6600. Yes you will have to buy an $18 stick of PC4200 to boot with for the FIRST time. Once you flash to the F3 or F4c BIOS, you can then boot to your OCZ stuff fine - even after a bad OC /CMOS reset. :)

Been here done this. :)

BTW, this RAM kicks arse. It OC's the Conroes really well. Once in the BIOS, set it to 2.1VDIMM.

yea the ram is really nice :) at 2.2 V i got it to 880mhz 4-3-3-8

BTW this cpu is insane :| I think I'll max out the mobo and ram before the cpu hits the wall

Can i get the ram at anything under 1:1? i was thinking of relaxing the timings and going for 900mhz

Yeah you just need to clear CMOS, post with value RAM, upgrade to F3 or F4C BIOS and you should be good. My RAM isn't overclocking as well though. I can't seem to push past 860mhz on 4-5-4-15 with 2.2v. Currently runing 860 @ 4-4-4-15 with 2.1v. What kind of overclocks are u guys getting on this RAM?

Brahmzy said:
I have this RAM and a DS3 and an E6600. Yes you will have to buy an $18 stick of PC4200 to boot with for the FIRST time. Once you flash to the F3 or F4c BIOS, you can then boot to your OCZ stuff fine - even after a bad OC /CMOS reset. :)

Been here done this. :)

BTW, this RAM kicks arse. It OC's the Conroes really well. Once in the BIOS, set it to 2.1VDIMM.

Aha, so once in the newer bios it works fine? Ok, added back to my list. I'm tryna hold out for the E4300 though ....

have a badaxe with 965XE, and a spare amd dfi board. Maybe i'll just purchase a damn cheapie A64 3200 to hold me off until the E4300, but I feel like I need some conroe action!

mayakindaguy said:
Yeah you just need to clear CMOS, post with value RAM, upgrade to F3 or F4C BIOS and you should be good. My RAM isn't overclocking as well though. I can't seem to push past 860mhz on 4-5-4-15 with 2.2v. Currently runing 860 @ 4-4-4-15 with 2.1v. What kind of overclocks are u guys getting on this RAM?

hmm I got mine going atm 830 4-3-3-8 2.1v and I had it 850 4-4-4-8 @ 2.1v ^^

See, my OCZ 6400 Platinum XTC will boot at 1.8v @ 800mhz. I can also push this stuff to at least 925 @ 2.25v

Back