ds3 won't boot

Mellman

Limp Gawd
I"ve got a brand new DS3 with a 6400 and 2gb OCZ Platinum XTC ram. I know the cpu ram and graphics card are all good, I tested them in my buddies rig. My botherboard however will not post.

When I power it up it does not beep at all. Occasionally it will power on, stay on for 2 seconds, power off for 1, and power back up and repeat.

I know the power supply is good (antec truepower 2.0 550)

Cleared the cmos, tried w/o ram to make it beep and nothing. Any suggestions?

its probally the ram voltage (which I am looking up for your ram now) a bios update will probally fix it but you need some 1.8 volt ram to get it to post.

The boot/power cycle you describe is normal, the board is trying but cant quite get the "all ok" to go ahead and boot.

If you havent, let it go through at least 5 of those cycles in case it adjusts the ram voltage and then boots.

In short the MB supplies 1.8V to ram at boot (which is the jdec standard) however some high end memory requres 2.0V or more to operate properly and thus the motherboard does not see good ram when it tries to boot.

Well doesnt that just stink, OCZ doesnt bother to give voltage spec on the main page for that memory .

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/ddr2/platinum_series

Nor do I see XTC ram type on the Platinum page.

Per there motherboard compatibiliy tool:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/support/motherboard/

only one intel Gigabyte board is listed.

Sorry man but you are not going to get that memory to boot in that board.

Contact OCZ and ask what is the min voltage requirement for that ram.

You can get a stick of el cheapo 1.8 V ram boot, up the memory voltage in the bios, shutdown, swap ram and you will be golden. but keep the el cheapo as if you clear the bios the problem might come back.

well i did not have any luck getting the OCZ to boot in my system...could this be any more frustrating?

I guess at least i know the mobo is fine and the ram sucks...

I set the voltage to +.3 and no dice...ocz just sits there and does nothing.

-Matt

put the cheap ram in and try to flash to the F7 BIOS.

Also, besides changing ram to + .3v, also manually set the ram timings to like 5-5-5-15 just to see if you can get it to boot.

didn't try changing the SPD - only messed with voltages...but i did install the F7 bios while i had it up...I will try to borrow the ram again tomorrow or sunday.

where do I set the ram timings on the ds3? I only see where to set the speed multiplier...

Mellman said:
where do I set the ram timings on the ds3? I only see where to set the speed multiplier...

you need to press CTLR+F1 in the main menu to see the ram timings in the M.T.I.

ah - good to know...its booting at 2.6Ghz, for the life of me, it would not boot at stock speeds with my OCZ ram. Been on OCZ for years, looks like its finally gone down the tube...

What do all of you guys who OC with a DS3 and OCZ ram do? If it doesnt post you just pop in some older crappy ram? This is really getting to be quite frustrating, If i get some G.Skill or some Patriot ram would it not require all of this hassle and still OC fine?

I use a DS3 with OCZ XTC Plat memory and it boots fine even at default voltages with By SPD timings (5-5-5-15). It will run at 4-5-4-12 (rated timings), but I bump the voltage to 2.1V to do so.

I use the GSkill 2gb HZ set and it has no problem booting and even slightly oc'n at 1.8v. If I remember correctly my mobo came with F3 originally and had no problems with any bios revision booting up at 1.8v. I'm just verifying for you that the HZ Gskill will work if you are looking at getting different ram, I don't overclock nearly as heavy as most of the guys posting on here but the Gskill also seems to oc well if thats your thing. FYI I have mine running at 1000, +.02v, 5-5-5-15 where it purrs along easily. Hope this helps.

I dont get how you do that...I set my timing to 5 5 5 15 and the only way i can get my system to boot is by manually setting the FSB to 300, and the ram multi to 2.5 to give me 2.4Ghz with ram @750. it will NOT boot if i leave the cpu to stock speeds...this makes absolutely no sense to me!

Sireal said:
I use the GSkill 2gb HZ set and it has no problem booting and even slightly oc'n at 1.8v. If I remember correctly my mobo came with F3 originally and had no problems with any bios revision booting up at 1.8v. I'm just verifying for you that the HZ Gskill will work if you are looking at getting different ram, I don't overclock nearly as heavy as most of the guys posting on here but the Gskill also seems to oc well if thats your thing. FYI I have mine running at 1000, +.02v, 5-5-5-15 where it purrs along easily. Hope this helps.

Where do you set the timings in the bios, when i went in there were 8 different timing options to play with - so i just set the first four to 5 5 5 15.

If I can get some GSkill for the same price I paid for my OCZ I'd be happy, I do plan to OC heavy though, I'd like to see this thing hit 3.5-3.6, but i'd be happy with 3.2+

-Matt

I just set the first 4 also. 5-5-5-15 for compatibility and overclock testing.
Then later I'll come back & try to tweak it lower.

This is the best I can do with my e6600 + DS3
conroe2.jpg

CPU-Z has the correct speed, the others programs are detecting the
default multiplier and not reading speed correctly.

The F7 is the best BIOS, it gives you all kinds of flexibility.

Have you tried just setting FSB to 400. Dram ratio to 2:1
MCH +.1
FSB +.1
PCIe Normal
Vdimm +.3
vcore: 1.4v (+ or - depending on what you need, but you should be able to hit 3.2Ghz with it there)

There are different FSB straps that kick in at different places so you should try to boot at 333+, then skip up to 400+ and test at those clocks.

well, without having any crap ram to boot with when it all goes to hell I'm just going to leave it at the 2.6Ghz that its at right now...and order some crappy ram so I can recover when it inevitably doesnt boot.

Back