Dual AMD Opteron 275's smokin HOT!

BiggDaddi

n00b
I have built a new workstation for work:

TYAN Thunder K8WE Motherboard
Dual (2) Dual Core AMD Opteron 275's
4GB RAM (4-1GB sticks) Corsair XMS DDR400 (PC 3200)
PC Power & Cooling 850 SSI PSU
Four 250MB Western Digital SATA HD in a RAID 0 Configuration (1 TB Storage)
3dLabs Wildcat REALIZM 800 (640MB x16 PCI Express)
Apple 30" Cinema HD Display (You have GOT to get one of these)
Plextor Dual Layer DVD/CD Burner
Floppy
Lian Li PC-V2100B Case
Logitech Cordless keyboard/mouse
Windows XP Professional 64bit edition

The top of the case gets REALLY hot. I put two exhaust fans in the door panel to help get rid of some of that heat.

Should it be running this hot (at idle)? What temp is within "normal" operating parameters?

Thanks!

BiggDaddi

BiggDaddi said:
I have built a new workstation for work:

TYAN Thunder K8WE Motherboard
Dual (2) Dual Core AMD Opteron 275's
4GB RAM (4-1GB sticks) Corsair XMS DDR400 (PC 3200)
PC Power & Cooling 850 SSI PSU
Four 250MB Western Digital SATA HD in a RAID 0 Configuration (1 TB Storage)
3dLabs Wildcat REALIZM 800 (640MB x16 PCI Express)
Apple 30" Cinema HD Display (You have GOT to get one of these)
Plextor Dual Layer DVD/CD Burner
Floppy
Lian Li PC-V2100B Case
Logitech Cordless keyboard/mouse
Windows XP Professional 64bit edition

The top of the case gets REALLY hot. I put two exhaust fans in the door panel to help get rid of some of that heat.

Should it be running this hot (at idle)? What temp is within "normal" operating parameters?

Thanks!

BiggDaddi
Important question... Do you have as much air coming into the case as you do being pulled out? Right now, we're finding out that my brother's Super LanBoy doesn't exactly have the best flow. His CPU temp goes down 6-7 degrees when you take off the side of the case, so we're going to put a fan or two in the window. With his case side on, you can't feel anything coming out the exhaust fans, but as soon as the side comes off, there's flow.

The processor in my brother's case (and probably yours as well) is situated between an exhaust fan on the back of the case and the exhaust fan of the PSU. What I'm going to do to his case is put either one big 120mm fan on the bottom in the center or two 92mm fans in the same area side-by-side. The hard drive cage seems to be blocking flow of the front fan, so I'm gonna keep the fans behind that. What I want is cool air to flow up (partially hitting the video card), through the CPU HSFT, and out the exhausts. If you have too much exhaust, you're creating a vacuum condition, in which everything will get hotter.

BTW, you never actually mentioned what your temperatures are.

Do you have an exhaust in the back?
My brother's case used to get really toasty at the power supply and adding an exhaust below the PSU (most cases have it this one didnt) it really helped the temps.. other than that, wherever its the warmest, thats where you should cut a blowhole I mean the heat is collecting there anyways, might as well let it out...

The way the case is set up is there is one 120mm fan in the lower front and another one in the back for exhaust.

The case is split into two levels. The bottom level has the hard drives and PSU, then above, houses the MB and optical drives.

It seems that the proble is that there is an alluminum plate that runs the length of the case seperating the top half from the bottom. I guess this is reducing the amount of flow over the motherboard.

Should i change the cong. of my panel fans to be both exhaust, both intake, or one of both?

I dont know the temps exactly, but i got a reading on the exhaust air comming out of the back: 102F.

Why such a crappy Card? is this machine used for rendering? other than opengl rendering that card sucks :p

BiggDaddi said:
I dont know the temps exactly, but i got a reading on the exhaust air comming out of the back: 102F.
and what is ambient?

i would be more concerned about actual die temps than exaust air ;)

Chilly said:
Why such a crappy Card? is this machine used for rendering? other than opengl rendering that card sucks :p

Yes I use it for AutoCAD and 3DStudio MAX 8

BiggDaddi said:
The way the case is set up is there is one 120mm fan in the lower front and another one in the back for exhaust.

The case is split into two levels. The bottom level has the hard drives and PSU, then above, houses the MB and optical drives.

It seems that the proble is that there is an alluminum plate that runs the length of the case seperating the top half from the bottom. I guess this is reducing the amount of flow over the motherboard.

Should i change the cong. of my panel fans to be both exhaust, both intake, or one of both?

The fan(s) I'm adding to my brother's case will be intake... Forgot to mention that before.

Download SpeedFan or Motherboard Monitor to see what your temps are on that machine.

Can you take a picture of the case? It really sounds to me as if you're trying to pull out air when you don't have any air going into the case to begin with. You want a nice cool stream going over the motherboard from front to back.

come on guys its a Lian Li PC-V2100B case,, so air flow is poor anyway...

the intake fan in the bottom do nothing for the case at all,, it only cool the hdds..

also the PSU does not add or take any cooling from the cpu since its in its own down there(with the hdds..

so either,, make the back fan as intake and out 2 exhaust in the top(or like what he did 2 in the door panel ,, did you say in the top or in the middle of the side panel)..

ot put 1 intake or 2 right on top of the cpus.. in the side panel

evaseeker said:

the intake fan in the bottom do nothing for the case at all,, it only cool the hdds..

also the PSU does not add or take any cooling from the cpu since its in its own down there(with the hdds..

so either,, make the back fan as intake and out 2 exhaust in the top(or like what he did 2 in the door panel ,, did you say in the top or in the middle of the side panel)..

ot put 1 intake or 2 right on top of the cpus.. in the side panel
He's already got the exhaust on the back, so why not make the two fans on the door that he added intake?

if its on the line with the cpus then fine but i think its on top of the side panel so it wont work propably for the cpus..

Chilly said:
LOL, you don't buy a Realizm card without a very specific reason...and for the record, they kick ASS.

evaseeker said:
if its on the line with the cpus then fine but i think its on top of the side panel so it wont work propably for the cpus..
And that's why I want a picture of his case. :) This way, we know exactly what we're dealing with here. :) And that's why I got myself a camera phone to replace my old cell -- so I can do dorky things like take random pictures and take pictures of stuff I have problems with.

Chilly said:

Considering what he has in the system... It should be pretty freaking obvious it's not meant as a gaming machine. Unless FarCry, Quake4, Fear, and Battlefield 2 suddenly support 4 way processing.

I am positive that if there "Gaming" tweaked drivers, the Realizm could perform QUITE well. Maybe not 7800GTX levels, but at least @ 6800 or higher performance. It's incredibly high bandwidth, MULTI processor (3 in total) architecture, with 512mb of texture memory in addition to 128mb system memory could give quite a boon if properly implemented.

evaseeker said:
I'd say that this is a misleading statement. Stock from Factor airflow design is poor, yes. - The dual zone design prevents any intake to the "upper" area.. but the lower area (hdd's, and PSU with space for 2x80 exhausts above the psu [unless it's an n+1 setup or something] is quite good flow for the bottom half.

The problem with the 2000 series (and 2100) is that there is no intake on the upper (5.25" drive area)

An additional problem with the 2100 is that there is a BIG FREAKING DOOR in the way..

http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/S_V_S_PC-V2100.htm
This is the 2100.

http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/S_V_S_PC-V2000plus.htm
This is the 2000

The 2100 has insufficient air-flow PRODUCING hardware. Even if it could get airflow with the introduction of fans in the front, that flow would be hindered by the door.

I'd recommend modding a stack of 80x80s (minimum of 2) into the side panel positioned right about middle.

I am assuming the hdd's are in the bottom, with the optical in the very top.
Heat, no matter what you do, rises. - What you can do is send it moving to the back before letting it rise, however.

To the OP, ..

you have 4 hdd's, 4 cores, 4 sticks of ram, 3 video processors, and a high power level motherboard. You are running at 8.8 ghz total cpu power, and you have a pair of fans on the cpus and a single 120mm exhaust for all of this. Heat is going to be an issue. No question.

The big question is.. what are your cpu temps. What is your ambient temp. Yes, 40C is very hot to human touch, but not so bad really for a computer. 70c? We've got a problem.

We users here need to know your cpu, and ambient case temp in actual readings so that we can say..

"Damn boy, you need to put that thing in a refrigerator" or we can tell you .. "ehh.. don't worry about it"

This is an OPINION, mind you, but I'd say if your AMBIENT temp is any higher than 55C, I'd be concerned.

The fact is, the top plate of your case is acting as an integrated heat spreader. Apply some arctic silver to it and put some fans on there and it won't seem as hot. :) It'll look sort of ghetto, but that's something else entirely.

Your solution, if needed, is to get more airflow into the sytem. Simple as that. - I frequently get up to, and over 40C ambient.

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tigerk8we.html

This is his motherboard, folks. Since the orientation of LiLi 2000s is "btx like" those processors of his are in the middle (along the top of the seperator plate) inside his case.

two cpus.. They push heat forward at his right side panel.. it bounces off, and then rises to the top of the case, where it can't get out, because there is nothing moving the air up there.

He could probably benefit from some top porthole ventilation too.High res photo - TIFF format

I'd bet his full length, full height 3dlabs card probably makes a nice airflow barrier, as well.

Those doorpanel fans need to be intakes., not exhaust.

Malogato said:
I'd say that this is a misleading statement. Stock from Factor airflow design is poor, yes. - The dual zone design prevents any intake to the "upper" area.. but the lower area (hdd's, and PSU with space for 2x80 exhausts above the psu [unless it's an n+1 setup or something] is quite good flow for the bottom half..

sure but i already explaind my words after that,,,, his upper half HAS poor air flow,, and my ideas were good as yours..

Malogato said:
I'd recommend modding a stack of 80x80s (minimum of 2) into the side panel positioned right about middle.
!!!

evaseeker said:
sure but i already explaind my words after that,,,, his upper half HAS poor air flow,, and my ideas were good as yours..

!!!

I understand he did that. I should say.. "2 more" -- and they should be intake.

I would suggest making the 2 added door fans, intake fans. Check cpu and case temps, and if needed buy a $15 120mm hole saw and add a blow hole on the top of the case.

Back