Dual channel not working

swy81

n00b
Hey everyone I'm having problems running my memory as dual channel. I put the first 512mb stick of memory into the first slot. I then put the second 512mb memory stick into the 2nd slot and when I try to turn on the computer, nothing happens. The computer won't boot. I have to put the memory stick into the 3rd slot for it to boot up. I'm trying to get it to run dual channel. I have 2 different brands of memory stick and I"m wondering if that's the problem. They're both 512mb ddr400. However one is a Kingston brand while the other is a Rosewill brand. Anyone have any ideas??

My computer specs:

x800 xl agp
Athlon 64 3000
1 gig ddr ram
gigabyte k8 triton mobo
coolmax 400w psu

unfornatuly some boards dont like diff brands of memory

u could try to manually set the timings with 1 stick in, then puyt the opther stick in and hope it works....also perhaps a bios update for your board would allow it to work better with mismatched sticks, but for all intents and purposes, matching sticks of memory is ideal

P3N1X0R said:
unfornatuly some boards dont like diff brands of memory

u could try to manually set the timings with 1 stick in, then puyt the opther stick in and hope it works....also perhaps a bios update for your board would allow it to work better with mismatched sticks, but for all intents and purposes, matching sticks of memory is ideal

Hmmmm. How would I go about setting the timing with 1 stick in?? I'm sort of confused about this.

You need the same type of memory in order to run dual channel(matched pairs).You will not be able to use dual channel using 1 stick of memory it is designed only for 2 sticks.

Most times the memory sticks do have to be the same, you don't necessary need a "matched pair kit" crap, but they should be the same part # for dual channel to work.

I recommend you try to get the same part # for either of those sticks.

i wasnt suggesting he run dual channel with 1 stick of ram, i was saying, since theyre diff brands, why not put 1 stick in, and set loose timings, 3-3-3-8 for example., thern put the other stick in, and see if it works....then ok it works with 2 sticks at that timing, then tightern it 2.5-3-3-8 etc, and go with it till it wont boot....

but yea it is ideal to buy matched pairs....not for the sake of havinv identical pairs, but its much nicer to buy a kit rather than buy 1 stick wait some time then get another stick..bla bl abla iu dunno, enjoy

Back