dual channel question

Thermite Paste

Supreme [H]ardness
this may be a stupid question but would two sticks of kingston hyperx 512mb memory ran in dual channel show up as 512mb, or 1024mb in windows?

Well, is it a package of 2x 256MB or 2x 512MB? From what I'm gathering, you have 2x 512MB. That equals 1024MB, and the dual-channel being activated.

i have two sticks of 512, and i only put 1024 in my sig because thats what i have total. the problem is its only posting as 512 mb in my system settings.

That is wrong. What does your bios say. Are you sure you don't have 2x256? If you do truely have 2x512 then the problem is that one stick is not seated correctly. Take all of the ram off your mobo and reseat it. If one side doesn't snap in all the way then the stick will not show up. Also try moving the sticks into the 1 and 3 slot or anthing different than what it is now. Consult you mobo manual for the optimal dual channel configuration. My bet is that one side is not clipped in all of the way.

Your ram is not a RAID array... well it's kind of like a RAID 0 array, but not RAID 1.

damn, i think its only 512mb total. And i wondered why i was getting such a good deal from newegg...

gotta update my sig now

Back