Dual core Athlons in a SFF?

Add 'em

Limp Gawd
Let's assume AMD sticks with Socket 939 for dual core processors (which appears pretty likely) and I get an SN95G5 (which also is likely). Will the Shuttle be able to effectively cool the dual core CPU? Or might I and other SN95G5 owners have to look to third party cooling solutions?

Assuming the dual-cores don't give off a fuckton of heat, you should be OK. My SN95G5 stays pretty darn cool (at least as far as the 3500+ Winchester CPU is concerned) on the Mid fan setting. Keep in mind, however, that I have Cool 'n Quiet turned on (not much reason to disable it).

The heatsink comes pre-lapped and there's always Arctic Silver 5, so you'd really have to throw a lot of heat at the SOB to overpower it.

I've never put a heatsink on a CPU before (yes, I'm relatively new to building PCs. I didn't install my current processor). If the heatsink is pre-lapped as you say, does that mean I don't necessarily need the thermal compound?

Add 'em said:
I've never put a heatsink on a CPU before (yes, I'm relatively new to building PCs. I didn't install my current processor). If the heatsink is pre-lapped as you say, does that mean I don't necessarily need the thermal compound?

WRONG! Even the very best machine lapped HSF have small molecular sized pockets of air which will impeded the ability of the molecules of heat to be conducted to the HSF, greatly increase your tempatures. Heres what I mean.

Without Thermal compound
5ec42b881a130c83a5f9d13a06d29361.jpg

With Thermal Compound
2c5338d9ff25b26d945cb6288ba8431e.jpg

Purely speculative of course, but...

AMD is working on a new Athlon 64 stepping (refinement of current version). Among other new 'features' is a statement claiming significant increase in power efficiency (ie. less heat). It remains to be seen how 'significant' the power savings are, but I guarantee that this new 'stepping', and the power savings expected, is key to the success of the dual core chips.

In other words, to answer you question, *If* the dual core chips will run on the SN95G5, the included ICE cpu cooler should do the job just fine, just maybe with louder fan speeds. I've also heard that dual core will 'drop in with bios update' on 939 motherboards, but I wouldn't hold your breath for it. I'll believe it when I see it. Even if it would work, would you want to use it on your old platform? More than likely a new platform/chipset will be available that makes using any else seem stupid.

The heatsink is pre-lapped, meaning that it comes smooth on the bottom. You still need to use thermal compound for the reasons mentioned above. Shuttle includes some but I'd recommend spending a couple bucks and getting some AS5.

Clownboat said:
The heatsink is pre-lapped, meaning that it comes smooth on the bottom. You still need to use thermal compound for the reasons mentioned above. Shuttle includes some but I'd recommend spending a couple bucks and getting some AS5.

Ok, I see what you meant now. Thanks.

So I guess maybe it would be wiser to wait for a Shuttle with a new chipset specifically for dual cores?

Based on how the lower end AXP-M's are running, I'd say it won't be too much of a problem to do it. Seriously, I wouldn't consider the heat from a 2400+ 30W processor to be problematic even if there were three of them. Plus I cooled my own Tbred-B 2400+ running 2.4Ghz at 1.85V in my shuttle just fine. The cooling has indeed improved over the pre-SFF days.

Add 'em said:
Ok, I see what you meant now. Thanks.

So I guess maybe it would be wiser to wait for a Shuttle with a new chipset specifically for dual cores?

Be prepared to wait awhile.

why not just get the Dual Opteron iWill SFF? once dual core is out you can throw 2 in there and have a quad CPU system

Keep in mind man, todays existing games ARE NOT capable of utilizing dual core CPU's and I dont' expect them to be for a good while. Look how few games actually utilize Intels HT and what not.

So even if you bought a system capable of dual core, your gonna get jack shit benefits from it until the games and software is written to utilize it.

IceWind said:
Keep in mind man, todays existing games ARE NOT capable of utilizing dual core CPU's and I dont' expect them to be for a good while. Look how few games actually utilize Intels HT and what not.

So even if you bought a system capable of dual core, your gonna get jack shit benefits from it until the games and software is written to utilize it.

Good point.

Back