Dual Core Gaming Fix Guide

well i finaly got it fixed and i'm really happy now :D but Dark messiah is REALLY buggy

anyone having problems with STALKER and an AMD X2 4800+ cpu?, I get control spikes (mouse wont work for a few seconds, every few mins), also when I had the 3500+ installed STALKER was running fine in dual monitor mode, now with dual core the game exit when the mouse goes near the second monitor,

I have installed the X2 Dual Core Driver + Optimizer, and disable the pmtimer thing, and made stalker run on one core but I still get problems.

Only stalker has this problem so far, Text Drive Unlimited runs fine, I'll try BF2 and CSS shortly.

any fix?

anyone having problems with STALKER and an AMD X2 4800+ cpu?, I get control spikes (mouse wont work for a few seconds, every few mins), also when I had the 3500+ installed STALKER was running fine in dual monitor mode, now with dual core the game exit when the mouse goes near the second monitor,

I have installed the X2 Dual Core Driver + Optimizer, and disable the pmtimer thing, and made stalker run on one core but I still get problems.

Only stalker has this problem so far, Text Drive Unlimited runs fine, I'll try BF2 and CSS shortly.

any fix?

Get it working?

For those of you with stutter problems, do you have to keep closing and then opening the game until it works smoothly? Cause that's the kind of symptoms I'm getting. Not sure if mine is a stutter problem or not. I've only run one game so far on this new computer. The game I get stutter problems is Enemy Territory (old game, so I think my graphic card isn't the problem, because I get around 70 fps anyway).

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE
Windows Vista 32bit
2 gig RAM

For those of you with stutter problems, do you have to keep closing and then opening the game until it works smoothly? Cause that's the kind of symptoms I'm getting. Not sure if mine is a stutter problem or not. I've only run one game so far on this new computer. The game I get stutter problems is Enemy Territory (old game, so I think my graphic card isn't the problem, because I get around 70 fps anyway).

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE
Windows Vista 32bit
2 gig RAM

You shouldn't have to do that. I'd see if you can run on one core and see if that fixes your stutter problem.

I recently got out Serious Sam 2 to play with my brother, and he was having stuttering issues with his Opty 165 setup that I built for him. I tried all sorts of game updates and different things like that, but nothing was working. Finally, I remembered that way back I wrote a thread describing fixes for issues like this :eek:. I felt kind of stupid ;). Sure enough, got it working in the end :cool:.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE
Windows Vista 32bit
2 gig RAM

The Quake 3 engine has that problem on Vista. Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and go to task manager to the processes tab. Then on et.exe or whatever it is, right click and set processor affinity to just one core. It will solve the problem.

I recently went to a 3800x2 from a 3000+, and when trying to play any HL2 based game (tf2, ep2) I would get terrible performance, Averaging about 1fps. When I put my single core back in its normal. I tried the dual core optimizer and the microsoft hotfix, as well as setting it to run on one core, and still its bad. Any ideas?

I recently went to a 3800x2 from a 3000+, and when trying to play any HL2 based game (tf2, ep2) I would get terrible performance, Averaging about 1fps. When I put my single core back in its normal. I tried the dual core optimizer and the microsoft hotfix, as well as setting it to run on one core, and still its bad. Any ideas?

By "dual core optimizer" do you mean the amd driver?

Hm, what about chipset driver or bios updates?

A friend gave me this cpu/mobo and it worked fine for him so I know its not the bios, and as far as a chipset driver, its a ati express 200 chipset, and aside from the audio/raid/ethernet driver, thats all there is.

I dunno. I have a system that has a 3800+ X2 that runs fine. Maybe a uninstall/reinstall of the game?

A 49-page topic dedicated to dual-core gaming. If I can't get an answer here than I give up.

I have an Intel Dual Core processor (1.66 GHz), and upon downloading the Painkiller demo off Steam I discovered that it ran at approximately triple speed. I looked for a solution, heard about the affinity reset, and tried it; it worked. I was naturally pleased at this, since I don't mind having to reset affinity every time I play a game.

However, beyond that first time, the reset hasn't worked. At all. No matter what I do, the game continues to run at a breakneck pace. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the both the game and Steam, and tried to reset affinity for both programs at numerous times. I didn't do anything between the first and second resets aside from download the Jericho demo (and then delete it, along with all associate files, when I discovered how bloody inefficient my computer was at handling it).

Does anyone know why my affinity reset stopped working? It was an ideal solution for me while it lasted, and I'd really like to get it back instead of trying to download the XP launcher or Hotfix or anything like that. I've combed the Internet and seem to be the only person in this kind of conundrum.

No, nothing. Except for Steam, of course.

As for what else I've done since my last post, I downloaded the Hotfix and downloaded Deus Ex, which works like a dream. Painkiller, on the other hand, is still too fast.

I'm hopeless, if i try to install just the AMD driver it will not do jack, if i install the optimizer afterwards everything goes well for 4-6 days, after that i have to reboot because the games will run on fast foward ( act of war menu for example ) unless i manually set the affinity which is an unacceptable solution to me

optimizer + /usepmtimer + throttle set 1 + amd driver + ms hotfix also gives me trouble after a few days of uptime, i can see that without even loading act of war, i just check the temps on speedfan and it says " core : min -49 max 79 " by the time i see these reading i already not that i'm screwed :( can somebody plz help me ? my cpu is an opteron 180 @ 2.75ghz

Temps rarely exceed 52-53c according to speedfan, 70% of the time the system is not under load, is it a cpu stability problem or have i set something wrong ? I'll try leaving the system running @ stock clocks for some time just to see what happens

around next week I'm getting my x2 4200+ (heehehe $70 from the egg) ..

I can't just update bios, pop it in, reinstall windows, and be done with it?
I have the winxp with all the fixes up to september 2007 ...
all I play is counter-strike source ..

will I need anything else but just the windows with all the hotfixes up to september 2007 ?

thanks...

I just joined this forum after reading and trying #'s 1-3. I've got a few questions though. When I double click the optimizer, nothing happens. Is it working automatically? Also I can't see where the hotfix does anything. When I run call of duty 1, evidentely something has happened because it's not as bad as it was, but I still get script errors that kick me back to the main menu of the game. Any ideas on this also?

I just joined this forum after reading and trying #'s 1-3. I've got a few questions though. When I double click the optimizer, nothing happens. Is it working automatically? Also I can't see where the hotfix does anything. When I run call of duty 1, evidentely something has happened because it's not as bad as it was, but I still get script errors that kick me back to the main menu of the game. Any ideas on this also?

The only "fool proof" method of dealing with it is to set the affinity to core 0 and then go from there. The optimizer should work by itself without you doing anything.

I noticed that this thread was created in 2005 and I just recently got a dual core (x2 4200+) and I was wondering which or any of the tips on the first page are still relevant.

Thank you

I noticed that this thread was created in 2005 and I just recently got a dual core (x2 4200+) and I was wondering which or any of the tips on the first page are still relevant.

Thank you

Pretty much all of them are still relevant depending on the games you're playing. I haven't noticed these issues on newer games, but games that were from the pre-2005 era still might need some of these fixes.

As noted somewhere in this thread, the fixes are primarily for AMD based systems. I've never had a problem with Intel dual/quad cores exhibiting any of the same symptoms found here.

seems like we all jumped on that 4200+ from the egg @ 70 bucks huh

im in the same boat now, downlaoded all the hotfixes, got all the drivers n stuff up to date, so im hoping a simple swap of my cpu uninstall of old cpu drivers and install of new ones...and it will take off. of course what im really expecting to happen is to have to reinstall windows..so im good with it

subscribed to the post for further info :)

i know this defies the purpose of having a dual core but it works for me, add "/onecpu" to your boot.ini and it should fix it until there is a proper driver fix. cheers. just been playing with another switch, try "/numproc=2"

go here to see more! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170756

this is for xp only

I have a 4400 running on a a8n32 sli deluxe. The dual core optimizer works and makes a bid difference when playing CS:S.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I would like to know if the /usepmtimer switch is still needed on a WindowsXP SP3 install?

Sorry for this ancient old thread resurrection... but if anyone can help it is you guys.

The start of this thread points to patches hosted at AMD.com to get the Dual Core features of an AMD Athlon 64 X2 (4200+) working. Trouble is, the links are dead. They have reorganised the website. And current support links run into dead ends.

Does anyone have copies of these patches stashed in a backup they can drop onto some free hosting and post the links? Or could you PM me and arrange to email or something.

Thanks a lot in Advance. :)

Sorry for this ancient old thread resurrection... but if anyone can help it is you guys.

The start of this thread points to patches hosted at AMD.com to get the Dual Core features of an AMD Athlon 64 X2 (4200+) working. Trouble is, the links are dead. They have reorganised the website. And current support links run into dead ends.

Does anyone have copies of these patches stashed in a backup they can drop onto some free hosting and post the links? Or could you PM me and arrange to email or something.

Thanks a lot in Advance. :)

I updated the links from AMD.com. This is an old thread...lol.

I updated the links from AMD.com. This is an old thread...lol.
You are a star. I couldn't find them on the AMD site when trying to look. Thanks a lot.

And yeah - "Old Thread" as in "Old as the Ark..."

Can always rely on [H]

No Joke this thread is old...We are weeks away from an Octo-Core CPU launch....a write up about to first dual cores is....quaint!

No Joke this thread is old...We are weeks away from an Octo-Core CPU launch....a write up about to first dual cores is....quaint!

Hey man, calm down :p. It was the first thing I ever wrote that had hundreds of thousands of people who saw it, got plagiarized all over the internet, and was a #1 hit on Google.

Hey man, calm down :p. It was the first thing I ever wrote that had hundreds of thousands of people who saw it, got plagiarized all over the internet, and was a #1 hit on Google.

As long as the information gets out there, humanity benefits! :p

This thread is still a huge hit on Google. And these AMD CPUs go on for ever. This Dual Core is in an old XP PC just used for surfing the web. Does the job fine. :)

If you want old... I'm still running my 1996 AMD 586 @100Mhz in my router.

My 4800+ x939 x2 was in my bitminer up until a few days ago until I decommisioned it. Before that it was in my stepson's gaming rig. Played SC2 with a 4650 just fine!

Back