Dual Core Opteron 165 in stock at Monarch!

Half-deth

Weaksauce
Hey Guys,

I just noticed that the Dual Core Opteron is back in stock at Monarch!

Woohoo.... hopefully that means mine will be shipping before December 5th!

Not only that, I saw this early this morning when the Opteron 165's were $310 (OEM), and now Monarch jacked the price up to $330...lame...

low on supply high on demand = high $$$

I can't blame them for jacking up the price.

Welcome to the capitalist system comrade.

_Durandal_ said:
Not only that, I saw this early this morning when the Opteron 165's were $310 (OEM), and now Monarch jacked the price up to $330...lame...

They know the CPUs are really hot and people will pay the money for them. I don't blame them for squeezing a few bucks more out of us. They know we will buy them. Tough nuts.

puppyfriend said:
Welcome to the capitalist system comrade.
I hope you understand I know that... :rolleyes: Why is it anytime someone posts that prices go up there's one or two people who think they are so smart to say "Supply & Demand" or "Capitalist System..." Did you guys just get done with Macro & Micro economics?

You act like this is the first time I've ever heard that before...gosh that bugs the hell out of me. :mad:

Forgive a noob for asking, but why are these so hot?

Sorry if this wasn't the right spot to ask..

The general consensus is that since they are cut from the same wafers as the FX series of processors, they tend to overclock better. At the same time, some people have pointed out that in order for a CPU to even be considered an Opteron, it must go through more rigorous testing...therefore equating a better chip.

Basically it is the same as an Athlon X2, with the cache being the major difference (aside from what's mentioned above). With Opteron's you get 1MB / core whereas with X2's it varies depending on what you purchase.

the 165 is a cheaper+possibly better alternative to the 3800+ x2.

the 165 has a 1MB L2 cache on each core (as compared with only a 512KB on each core for the 3800+ x2)
the 165 comes stock clocked at 1.8 GHz while the 3800+ x2 comes stocked clocked at 2.0 GHz. (but overclocking should make this a moot point)
the 165 is around 20-30 dollars cheaper than the x2

I ordered one of these last night, after I saw them back in stock. It shipped today, so it looks like they really do have at least one in stock. I hope this second batch is as good as the first.

i like how it says "AMD Opteron chips are sold as Single piece, NOT IN PAIRS"

and "Limit 1 Per Customer"

if opterons are used in dually configs, how can they limit 1 per person?

Kankykur7 said:
i like how it says "AMD Opteron chips are sold as Single piece, NOT IN PAIRS"

and "Limit 1 Per Customer"

if opterons are used in dually configs, how can they limit 1 per person?
There are no 939 motherboards.

Up till a month ago Opterons were ONLY socket 940.

yeah, I got mine for $305 retail two weeks ago...oh well.

It definitely OC's better than the X2 3800+ I had. I can do 2.6Ghz with 1.4V or so.

I talked to them and they said 12/05 is the LATEST that they will get the retail chips in-- implying that they should get them in sooner.

The only thing that I was a little mad about is that they charged me when I purchased it on 11/08 even though I won't be actually getting anything until 12/05 + shipping time (potentially). That is bad business practice. I emailed them and called them on it, but they didn't respond so aparently they just like to barrow my money for a month. I would expect them to charge me when they ship it out. What do you guys think-- bad business practice?

Half-deth said:
I talked to them and they said 12/05 is the LATEST that they will get the retail chips in-- implying that they should get them in sooner.

The only thing that I was a little mad about is that they charged me when I purchased it on 11/08 even though I won't be actually getting anything until 12/05 + shipping time (potentially). That is bad business practice. I emailed them and called them on it, but they didn't respond so aparently they just like to barrow my money for a month. I would expect them to charge me when they ship it out. What do you guys think-- bad business practice?

Hmm...they shouldn't do that. Call them up and talk to someone in person.

Half-deth said:

the way i look at it is its sort of like reserving a new game/dvd or something before its released
you're almost gauranteed to get it when they get it in stock
also you're price is locked in and doesnt have the possibility of going up

should they have held on to ALL of the money, probably not
should they have given back a percentage of the money, i would have wanted them to if i was in your situation
but in the long run, doesnt it work out for you in the long run since youre getting the 165 at the slightly lower old price?

ml_paladin888 said:
the way i look at it is its sort of like reserving a new game/dvd or something before its released
you're almost gauranteed to get it when they get it in stock
also you're price is locked in and doesnt have the possibility of going up

should they have held on to ALL of the money, probably not
should they have given back a percentage of the money, i would have wanted them to if i was in your situation
but in the long run, doesnt it work out for you in the long run since youre getting the 165 at the slightly lower old price?

If you ordered, you'll still be locked in at the price even though they don't have your money (kind of like a raincheck). You still won't be charged until the item ships.

ya, I am glad that I will be getting the CPU for the price a couple of weeks ago. I guess the raincheck to them meant that I pay the money up front. I'll think twice about ordering from monarch in the future.

Someone needs to do a back to back comparison the X2 3800/4200 and the Opteron 165-- I havn't been able to find one anywhere.

Back