Dual core permanent fix for SP 2

Chris Lakies said:
Oh I don't know. I was running BF2 for 2 hours with Itunes on listening to music running Fraps and RogerWilco with no problems. I was also using the 81.84 driver that uses both cpu's.

Im also using 81.84's.
This is a newer machine but ive got 100+ hours of game time on it, and it has never blue screened. Last night, it blue screened twice on me, AFTER the install of the hotfix.

I do love my Cool N Quiet, but at least for experimental purposes, ill disable it and remove the hotfix, see if the stuttering goes away.

Steel Chicken said:
Im also using 81.84's.
This is a newer machine but ive got 100+ hours of game time on it, and it has never blue screened. Last night, it blue screened twice on me, AFTER the install of the hotfix.

I do love my Cool N Quiet, but at least for experimental purposes, ill disable it and remove the hotfix, see if the stuttering goes away.

I don't use cool and quiet.....never have because I overclock. As a rule of thumb you shouldn't use cool n quiet when you overclock.

Just disable cool n quiet and see if it still blue screens.

When did you install the new Nvidia driver?

Does anyone know if the hotfix is available in languages other than english? Can't get the english version to patch my PC. :(

Chris Lakies said:
I don't use cool and quiet.....never have because I overclock. As a rule of thumb you shouldn't use cool n quiet when you overclock.

Just disable cool n quiet and see if it still blue screens.

When did you install the new Nvidia driver?

People seem to think Cool N Quiet and overclocking are somehow antithetical, this simply isn't true. I have used CnQ with all of my AMD 64's setups. (2 X 754 CPU's, and now the X2)
I do agree that disabling CnQ is IMPERATIVE when finding your max OC speeds, but once thats done, CnQ if anything makes for a more stable OC because when the CPU load is less than 100% it can cool down and drop voltage.

I already said two times I would disable it to see if it fixes the issue, but that is far from ideal in my opinion.

I installed the driver friday night, and gamed quite a bit this weekend with no problems (other than the BF2 stuttering). That driver *really* helped with frame rates with an X2.

I also noticed an improvement... I've had no stability issues before/after in terms of bluescreens etc...

those of you crashing need to run prime95 on each core for at least 8 hours without issues on your OC.

I'm OCing a 4400+ (2.2ghz) to 2.53Ghz with CnQ enabled... I just use clockgen to set it in windows with a script... i click in my quick launch to start 2.53 ghz mode, then click out back to 2.2 when I don't need it. I also have a clicky to disable CnQ then go to 2.65ghz and higher voltage.

but I'm finding I like CnQ a lot more than an extra 100mhz.

ittech said:
those of you crashing need to run prime95 on each core for at least 8 hours without issues on your OC.

I did establish my maximum stable OC the first few days after I had the system running :)
I guess its possible the max OC has slipped. I can sure try it again.

Definitely rolling back that *FIX* I am having more problems with ALL games now then I did before I installed that. I'll deal with affinity for my old Half-Life mods if it means everything else will run fine.

jdunner3 said:
Definitely rolling back that *FIX* I am having more problems with ALL games now then I did before I installed that. I'll deal with affinity for my old Half-Life mods if it means everything else will run fine.

My problem was that the CPU affinity didnot seem to fix all issues, BF2 still would ocasionally have problems with stuttering, id have to exit to the menu, and go back in the game. Either way im gonna rollback the fix, and turn off CnQ and see what happens.

Steel Chicken said:
I did establish my maximum stable OC the first few days after I had the system running :)
I guess its possible the max OC has slipped. I can sure try it again.

Testing prime seperatly on both cores will NOT insure a stable overclock.

Example:

I was running my cores at 2.7ghz (ran prime on both) with the 78.05 driver. Everthing "seemed good.

I then switched to the 81.84 driver that uses both cores and BF2 locked up in about 10 minutes.

I then stepped back from there and ended up at 2.6. Now no more freezes.

One thing you could do to test both cores is to run Prime on one and then run SuperPI on the other?

Steel Chicken said:
My problem was that the CPU affinity didnot seem to fix all issues, BF2 still would ocasionally have problems with stuttering, id have to exit to the menu, and go back in the game. Either way im gonna rollback the fix, and turn off CnQ and see what happens.

How do you roll back a fix?

well I rolled back the fix and disabled cool n quiet. BF2 runs like a champ, no stuttering issues.

however, im a dumbass and just realized that you have to do a registry edit with that fix, and I didnot do it, so im gonna try again tonight and see if I can have both BF2 working problem free and CnQ goodness.

Steel Chicken said:
well I rolled back the fix and disabled cool n quiet. BF2 runs like a champ, no stuttering issues.

however, im a dumbass and just realized that you have to do a registry edit with that fix, and I didnot do it, so im gonna try again tonight and see if I can have both BF2 working problem free and CnQ goodness.

What exactly does the Registry Edit do? In DumbA$$ terms? ;)

Microsoft in step #7 of the Regedit to type a 0 in the value data. Then it has a note below that says you can type a 1 in the value data box to enable the new performance state policy behavior.

Of course you want this fix to work so do you type a 0 or 1. What I get out of it is that you have to type a 1 for it to be enabled. WTF mate?

SGT_Peon said:
It's your choice if you want it enable or not. 1 is for enable in the registry.

you would think the hotfix would automatically set it to 1, and you set it to 0 if you wanted to disable it. apparently, NOT setting it all = blue screen of death, as I discovered

I installed the patch on my 4200+ system and it seems to have solved the stuttering in BF2. Its strange, BF2 would run fine after a fresh reboot for a couple of hours then slowly get real choppy and stutter so I would have to alt+tab out of the game and set the affinity to one core and it ran perfectly after that. It would also do this if I quit the game and left my computer for a while and came back and loaded it back up. so far so good though.. I have not had to set my affinity yet.

blaze24 said:
I installed the patch on my 4200+ system and it seems to have solved the stuttering in BF2. Its strange, BF2 would run fine after a fresh reboot for a couple of hours then slowly get real choppy and stutter so I would have to alt+tab out of the game and set the affinity to one core and it ran perfectly after that. It would also do this if I quit the game and left my computer for a while and came back and loaded it back up. so far so good though.. I have not had to set my affinity yet.

Put a few more solid 2-3 hour straight gaming sessions in and let us know if it works ok or blue screens

Steel Chicken said:
Put a few more solid 2-3 hour straight gaming sessions in and let us know if it works ok or blue screens

Mine will go for as long as I keep the game going, i.e., until one of the kids does something bad :p

Seriously, I tested by looping far cry demo runs overnight, along with some Q3A bot matches and RTHDRL sessions...stable like brick. I did both the hotfix and the reg mod.

Question: I had a X2 3800+ and installed the X2 driver, registry fix and the patch. Now I have a single core Opteron. Do I need to uninstall/undo anything? :confused:

I have the file downloaded, but can not get it to install... keeps telling me I dont have rights to modify my windows xp for me to contact my administrator... <I am my administrator> did anyone else have this trouble and how would i go about getting around it ??

kinson said:
I have the file downloaded, but can not get it to install... keeps telling me I dont have rights to modify my windows xp for me to contact my administrator... <I am my administrator> did anyone else have this trouble and how would i go about getting around it ??

Sounds like a problem with your installation of WinXP. Sure there isn't an Admin account?

there is an administrator account, but the account I use is also an administrator... I have like 2 different ones... one for lan and one for local, I have tried both and it says same on both... i'm going to try d/l'ing the file in the local administrator profile later and see if it gives me the same problem...

I dont have a hacked version of xp but I want to ask this anyways... would it be a problem to install for someone that does... I mean I dont see why it would when you have the file on your desktop unless during the install it checks, but even then that could be fixed by unplugging your computer from the net right ??

I've been having all the same troubles everyone in this topic is saying and I want to get this junk fixed cause its really getting annoying... any help will be greatfully appreciated

I don't know...this is the first I've heard of this problem with administrative rights. Maybe right-click and run as the other administrative user?

I've ran both administrators... I've also noticed that when I try to update windows through the updater, it fails to install them all...

does it require SP2, or will it work with SP1 as wel, i refuse to go to SP2 for many reasons

I figured it out... was because of my network :)

MORE INFORMATION
Windows XP SP2 is required on computers that have multiple CPUs that support ACPI processor performance states. This requirement includes computers that support the following items:
• Multiple physical sockets
• Multiple-core designs
• Multiple logical threads, such as Intel hyper-threading technology

1. WTF is cool 'n quiet? NF4 chipset related? The reason I ask is I ordered an Opteron 170 to go with an AsRock Sata2 AGP/PCIE board.

2. Still don't know, is this an X2 thing or a dual core thing, meaning it's needed for opterons to?

3. If cool 'n quiet is an NF4 chipset thing, how will this affect my non-NF4 motherboard?

Sorry if these are n00b questions but I'm on socket 478 until my opty and board arrive so I don't know AMD stuff yet.

Back