Dual core vs. quad core in everyday computing usage?

sheltem

Limp Gawd
I'm building a machine for my friend's mom and her computer usage will be basically spreadsheets and web browsing. She however wants a computer that is fast and has a "i7 processor". I figure a Core 2 Duo e7300 should be more than adequate for her purposes. Her big problem areas are ram and storage. I plan on putting 6 gigs of ram and a 120gb SSD drive in there.

So my questions (based on the user's usage scenario) are:
(1) Would a normal user really notice the difference between a dual core and quad processor?
(2) What about performance differences in everyday usage when comparing current gen stuff to previous gen (such as Core i3 2100 vs. Core 2 Duo e7300)?

The only time a normal user would notice between a dual core and quad core is when they start multi tasking.

If I had the choice, I would go with the I3 2100. I just built my grandma a computer with that and it provides you with a cheap and fast processor and a reliable video solution.

Last edited:
im just a casual user and an old duel core and 2 gigs of ram does me just fine. the most demanding thing i do is watch movies and a i3-2100 will do that without problems.

My main computer is a 2009 Compaq laptop with a dual core T4200 @ 2.00GHz, 4GB of RAM, Windows 8 Dev and 500GB WD Scorpio Blue 7200rpm.. it multitasks great, and runs Office 2010 and does all kinds of web surfing & downloading with no problems. No one needs a i7 just for "spreadsheets and web browsing" as that is a waste of it's power and not very efficient use of energy just to do those tasks. My parents are still using their 2004 Dell P4 with XP just to surf the web and check emails so you certainly don't need too much horsepower for just doing those kind of activities. What makes her think she needs a i7? If the tasks described by you are really all she is intending to do with this computer then the only reason for getting an i7 is it keeps her from having to upgrade her computer sooner than she might otherwise have to do years from now. Unless she doesn't care how much it costs, getting a more efficient i3 or i5 would be advisable, but I would agree with your plan of getting an SSD and a lot of RAM. I would also, depending on your budget, get a decent size hard drive as a D drive. If, in reality, all she really is going to do is "spreadsheets and web browsing", she just might need a decent $400-500 laptop.

tumblr_l8qbnfArZ11qz52aho1_400.jpg

If all she is doing is spreadsheets and web browsing, why does she need lots of RAM and an SSD?

Edit: And wouldn't you want 4 or 8 GB instead of 6 so you can run it in pairs?

Last edited:
you can get some nice i5 laptops/notebooks for $500 right now that would be more than enough

I would echo previous comments; my dual core E6600, bought in 2006 or 07, is perfectly fine for everyday web browsing, office work, and media usage with win7. I can even still play (some) games on it too...

The i3 2100 is miles ahead of Intel's older dual cores so it should be more than enough for her, and for a long while.

if she has the money for all that shit, make sure she knows it may not be necessary, then give her exactly what she wants.

also, make sure she knows i7 in a big computer is not the same as i7 in a laptop. a big computer i3 could be faster than a laptop i7...

Back