Dual CPU upgrade choices for DA G4

seanmcd

[H]ard|Gawd
Digital Audio G4 - currently I have a 1.2ghz Sonnet single cpu. Anyone have any suggestions (preferably from first hand knowledge) on a dual cpu upgrade that is at least 1.2 to 1.5ghz, that has L3 cache, and that doesn't cost too much over 600 US dollars? I know it won't help much unless I'm using Photoshop but I just like telling people I have two processors.

Newegg has the Sonnet 1300 duet for about $609 - this is the front runner so far. Gigadesigns has a few well-priced choices but I worry they clock their chips too high. (a previous 1.4ghz Gigadesigns single cpu that I owned, didn't seem all that stable to me)

I don't need to know WHERE to buy them - i just need input on certain model's people have had experience with

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Just avoid Powerlogix, there support and warranty support are complete crap.

Also, check out Macsales.com for good prices and selection.

Avoid PowerLogix and Sonnet. PL for quality. Sonnet for inadequate cooling. I had a Sonnet Duet and when running for more than an hour or two under high-load, the system would lock up because the processors were overheating. You literally could not keep your hand on the heatsink. Very, very hot.

Your only real bet is Giga. Their quality is superb, in large part due to their cooling. I have owned two Gigas now and they have been fantastic investments. The first being a Dual 1.33 which I ran at Dual 1.4 and now a single 1.47 that I've run at 1.53 but am choosing to keep at 1.47.

If you're not wanting to spend a lot, Giga's Dual 1.0/1.2GHz upgrade for $499 may be your best bet. Honestly though, if you're insisting on an upgrade with L3, their Dual 1.25 @ 1.33 is the best bang for the buck. I myself know the importance of L3, but I also know that it is not critical enough to make up for the nearly 500MHz speed advantage per processor that Giga's Dual 1.8GHz 7447A upgrade offers. I've already placed my order.

If you're wanting to save a few dollars by not ordering from Giga directly, both SmallDog and MacGurus are Giga resellers.

Its not. :)

It's the flimsiest piece of shit I have seen on an upgrade in that price range. You can squeeze the fins together. I'm not sure what type of metal it is made out of, but it certainly isn't copper, and it certainly isn't thick.

I don't think you understand exactly how little air a fan that small pushes. Its is inadequate for a 500MHz 7400, let alone two 1.33GHz 7455s. It also blows in the wrong direction, taking warm air that has risen to the top of the case and pushing it down across the heatsink.

I love Sonnet because of their ingenuity, but their G4 processor upgrades have been an absolute joke. And because of my experience with their Dual, I can honestly say I don't think I'll purchase another product from them.

Centauri said:
Its not. :)

It's the flimsiest piece of shit I have seen on an upgrade in that price range. You can squeeze the fins together. I'm not sure what type of metal it is made out of, but it certainly isn't copper, and it certainly isn't thick.

I don't think you understand exactly how little air a fan that small pushes. Its is inadequate for a 500MHz 7400, let alone two 1.33GHz 7455s. It also blows in the wrong direction, taking warm air that has risen to the top of the case and pushing it down across the heatsink.

I love Sonnet because of their ingenuity, but their G4 processor upgrades have been an absolute joke. And because of my experience with their Dual, I can honestly say I don't think I'll purchase another product from them.
Oh come on - You can squeeze the fins together easily on 9/10 heatsinks period. The Sonnet 1.2ghz single I have now BARELY gets warm after several hours of heavy usage. The Gigadesigns 1.4 i briefly had in the Sawtooth had a tiny copper heatsink that was always HOT to the touch. The machine also crashed a handful of times during certain operations that made me think the particular chip I got was not exactly stable. I don't think it will keep me from buying their brand again though. I have been overclocking PC's for years so I know a bit about fans and heatsinks ;)

So, Centauri doesn't like Sonnet. Anyone else?

Being able to squeezy together the fins is not necessarily bad. Ten thin fins are better than five thick. It could be soft because it's an alloy of some kind, rather than "poor quality." Of couse, I've never used one, or seen one, so maybe they are low quality. I don't know. ;)

If the HSF is such a big deal, make your own.

this IS [H]ard|OCP after all.

hmmm well I think I will be wasting my money. I am going to stick with my single Sonnet cpu and instead find an LCD for my game box

I have no interest in overclocking anything on my G4. I do enough of that with my Windows machine (now a gamebox)

Back