Dual Monitor help (2 sized screens, spanning)

Video Card: Visiontek Ti4400 w/ DVI & VGA out
Monitors: 20.1" Dell 2001FP + 14" Dell SL340

What I want to do:
2001fp as primary in the middle of my desk. (on DVI)
SL340 on the left (looking at the monitors) as the seconday (on VGA)

I want to mirror it I guess, but not so that the same shit shows up on both screens.
So far the only two things I've seen so far is stretch (which stretches everything, background, taskbar, everything and generally looks like shit with the different sized monitors. Or Mirror (which shows the same thing on both screens. Same mouse movements, etc. It also scrolls the window to match the 1600x1200 on my 2001fp.

I would like to run 1024x768 on the smaller monitor and stick with 1600x1200 on my main.

How do I go about remedying this problem?
thanks guys.

Well you don't want mirroring, thats seeing the exact same thing on both screens (also called Cloning). What you want to do is boot the machine up with both monitors attached, go to the display control panel, click the 2nd monitor that shows up there, and check the "Extend desktop to this monitor" or whatever it is. Ignore the nView stuff for the time being till you get that all squared away =).

Zardoz said:
ultramon is good but not needed with nvidia and nView.

Does Nview give the option to use two separate backgrounds? Also, does it add the blue bar on the 2nd screen so open windows and apps appear on that side instead of cluttering the main start-bar?

I'd buy it right now, but my only motivation is the cool extended start-bar feature. So $40 for it is a little high just for that. If the program was $20, then I'd buy it. And I can already make a custom background in photoshop that once tiled will create two backgrounds, which Ultramon does for you automatically. If you use two backgrounds with Ultramon, find the temp folder it creates for it and you'll find the two images you selected combined into one image. You can then put that somewhere safe once the trial expires.

Yes... there are several threads on dual monitors using nview going right now. Here is where I am pointing my fingers too CLICKY ... call it "self gloating" for my experimental findings one fine day...

Back