Dual Power Supplies: How do they work?

aviat72

Limp Gawd
I noticed that there are some full size cases which support two PSUs.

I am curious on how they work electrically. One application would be redundancy but that would require some form of parallel drive circuitry where both the PSUs power the machine with automatic fall over.

Please educate.

Thanks.

Redundant PSU's are different from what those cases are designed for. The purpose of the 2nd PSU in those large cases is to provide extra power, not for redundancy.

The purpose is to allow you to install two PSUs at once, or to give you the option of where you prefer having the PSU installed.

Thanks. That is what I thought too. Any redundant PSU has to have one single set out output cables.

Yes. Or if you have two lower-wattage PSU's lying around, and want to use them on a high-power computer.

Using something like this:

Finished_Dual_PSU_Cable.JPG

It's a 24-pin splitter; connect both PSUs to it, one powers the mobo, the other has just ground and green (PSU_ON) wires which are used by the motherboard to signal the PSU to turn on.

Unlike bridging the two wires with a paperclip or another wire, this allows the motherboard to turn both PSUs on or off.

Back