dual pumps in WC rig?

seniorpaul

Limp Gawd
I've read a few posts recently where people have mentioned that they are using dual pumps. Some people seem to have them as a safety measure in case one pump fails, while others seem to have them just for giggles. Are they're any downfalls to adding a second pump to your loop?

My reason for asking is that i'm planning out a external W/C box that is going to sit on top of my case. The water in my rig is going to be running through (not necessarily in this order) one Storm CPU block, two Maze4 slim GPU blocks, one resovoir, and two 2x120 Rads. Now, there is going to be some "extra" tubing in my congifuration, as my pump(or pumps depending on how this thread goes) and rads, and possibly res are going to be housed above my case.

With my water flowing through 3 waterblocks, 2 rads, and a resovoir, would a second pump (MCP-655) be a good idea? would it hurt? If i were to add a second pump, would they need to be spaced, or could i (just as an example) go PUMP > CPU > GFX > GFX > RES > PUMP > RAD > RAD.

Hope that all made sense...i've been looking up prices on the net for the last couple of hours. If all goes as planed, my "ModBox" is going to have a 6" LCD panal on the front, an Ipod docking station on top, and it's own power supply. I'm trying to fit a speaker control panal on there two, but i can't find a spot with out everything looking cluttered. Now i'm just rambling. :p Thanks in advance for any help.

Dual pumps give you a bit more head pressure and the added safety if a pump goes out. If you want the ultimate in fun then go with two separate loops. Well...not the ultimate, but a close second. :D

Top Nurse said:
If you want the ultimate in fun then go with two separate loops. Well...not the ultimate, but a close second. :D

I thought about dual loops, but i'm not sure i want to have 4 tubes coming out the back of my case. Plus, it would make things significantly more cramped in my external box. wellll.....maybe i'll think about it. It WOULD be nice to have my CPU and the GPU's on different loops.

You should be good to go with just the D5 pump. You could put your two radiators in parallel, that reduces the resistance as opposed to having the two radiators in series.

Back