Dual Screen Tablets

HammerAZ

Limp Gawd
I was reading the reviews on these, and I'm definately intrigued by the design and functionality. What I was wondering was related to the 5400RPM drive these run. One of the complaints that the reviewers show are slow startup on apps. On a device sporting a Corei5, with 4GB RAM on a Win7 x64 OS - wouldnt the better move be to replace the spindle with SSD?

I understand that cost is a driving factor here, but I think that with the level of instant gratification that alot of us strive for in our hardware, would it make sense to get one, simply replace the HDD with a SSD, and use the "recovery software" to replace the image on to a clearly superior storage platform?

I'd be curious to see if the reviews would be more favorful, towards these type of devices with the ability to change parts vs a "you get what you bought" static hardware style of devices like the iPAD or XOOM.

While I'm still sniffing around to see if anyone else shares my question, I thought I'd put a feeler here to see if anyone had a similar thought.

That's really the one I was referencing, but I didnt want to cut short any options that I didnt see.

I agree that a Sandy Bridge processor would be very effective. The SB desktop I built for my father was actually able to game with RIFT. Now, RIFT has a check box for low end GPU configuration, which I had to use, but still...gaming without a video card?! I was really amazed.

So, the thought would be that if a model released with a Sandy Bridge processor, and allowed for SSD swap out - should make for a sweet little device, yes?

I am extremely curious about this device myself. I have a Libretto W100 which is much smaller and lighter than the Iconia and has some practical use because of it size. At over 6 pounds this is definitely a desktop type of system but does have a LOT of real estate for touch.

But it's hard for me to resist the form factor as I love unique and exotic gadgets.

Is the second screen really that useful? Seems like a Convertible Tablet would be a better option.

Good question on a device of then size. On a device the size of the W100 it's quite useful as the screens can work as one virtual screen and double the viewing area when the keyboard and mouse are not in use.

If you could somehow angle the bottom screen to 45 degrees or better (a kickstand or mount of somesort), plus use the top screen - add a USB KB/M and you'd have a nice little mobile workstation.

I saw a post today about the Acer Transfromer device that has a physical keyboard dock.

I think I'd like a more PC like tablet that would support changing out slower RAM/HDD parts for higher speed parts to improve what seems to be lackluster performance.

I am extremely curious about this device myself. I have a Libretto W100 which is much smaller and lighter than the Iconia and has some practical use because of it size. At over 6 pounds this is definitely a desktop type of system but does have a LOT of real estate for touch.

But it's hard for me to resist the form factor as I love unique and exotic gadgets.

How do you like the libretto? Closest thing to a Courier made thus far....looked dang sexy when it came out. You use it much?

If the screen can fold backwards to make an "A", it would make the perfect device to play Battleship with. :D

Back