Dual Screen with MBP?

yellafella321

Limp Gawd
2253734776_8cdf5850e0.jpg

Is this guy running both monitors off of the MBP?

It looks like it but he has to be using something like the Matrox DualHead2Go. You can tell by the extremely long menu bar.

I wonder if i can do the same with a bookendz dock station for my MBP...it has both a VGA and DVI out.

Their most current software is the one I reviewed in the 2nd round, which was not horrible but definitely lacked polish in my eyes.

Still, I would recommend it if you are okay with the caveats. It really is a unique piece of kit.

I have a few insights I thnk I can add.

I used the dual head for a while with 22" monitors, but got fed up with the driver issues. I am now thinking about a few other alternatives.

Display link (displaylink.com) This company makes software for external video cards that run off of USB. They have beta drivers for the mac, and developed drivers for the pc. They are limited to 1680x1050 or 1600x1200 resolution right now, but that is still a 22" wide screen monitor. Again, mac drivers are in beta. See their website for a list of external cards that are available.

I think the greatest use for those cards will be to get 20" screens to flank a 30 inch, running off the MBP.

Like this.

http://www.digitaltigers.com/zenview-powertrioultraelite.asp

However, you have to buy a separate card for each monitor you want to run. The cards cost anywhere from 80 to 150 dollars. And some only support resolutions up to 1440x900. Check before you buy.

Also, you can "only" run up to 6 monitors this way.

The other option, is to look at villagetronic. (villagetronic.com)

They are developing a expresscard capable video card. This comes in sereral versions, a pc persion, a professional pc version, and a mac version. The mac version can run 2 monitors at 2560x1600.

Here's the spec sheet.

http://www.villagetronic.com/vidock/techspecs.html

However, the mac version supposedly costs 500, (email) and despite an email, claiming availability, I have seen no sign of this card on the market.

Hope that helps.

-ST-

Back