Dual screening, yet how do i span the taskbar?

Inverted08

Limp Gawd
Hey all,
I just bought a benq24vw and hooked it up and i am currently dual screening. The question I have is how do i span the taskbar across both monitors? Also, how do i use a wallpaper that will stretch across both screens and not just copy itself?
Thank you,
-Invert

btw i have vista 32 and i tried ultramon, yet it was only trial version

yes, but this is the trial version and it will expire in 30 days, is there any other program that has the same application?

What video card are you using?
Both nvidia and ati cards can do this, check the documentation, its called Span mode.
What size is the other monitor? Your video card may not be able to display a rez of 1920(+other monitors rez)x1200. You may have so scale down and that may defeat the purpose of going dual.

Also, how do i use a wallpaper that will stretch across both screens and not just copy itself?

btw i have vista 32 and i tried ultramon, yet it was only trial version[/QUOTE]

Get a dual monitor wallpaper and use span mode or one of those matrox dual or triple head to go devices. In span windows see the monitors as just one big monitor.

Deviantart.com is a good start.

To me, Ultramon is worth the money since I like the fact that the taskbar shows what folders and programs are on the corresponding screen.

For dual screen wallpaper, I just get something in the right size and set it to tile.

I guess this might get kinda tough when I get a new screen :(

Upgrade to Windows XP and you can do it with just the nVidia driver. Vista removes functionality.

Upgrade to Windows XP and you can do it with just the nVidia driver. Vista removes functionality.

XP was never able to do that, UNLESS you used Ultramon.

Basically, you'll want to get Ultramon. Not only does it have a nice managed taskbar (one for each screen) but it can also set a different wallpaper image to each monitor.

Give the 30-day trial a shot, then see how you feel.

Sh.ite you beat me to it.
In Vista, the taskbar on the secondary/extended monitor doesn't support previews when you hover over the tasks with your mouse cursor.
I probably missed something when trialling, or it wasn't there yet, but to me the theming feature is iffy. The taskbar should adopt the appearance of the current theme, like the original taskbar.

EDIT :
To the OP, if you are running Vista you can forget about span mode, it doesn't exist.
The Nvidia drivers would only span the taskbar in span mode.;)

XP was never able to do that, UNLESS you used Ultramon.

Basically, you'll want to get Ultramon. Not only does it have a nice managed taskbar (one for each screen) but it can also set a different wallpaper image to each monitor.

Give the 30-day trial a shot, then see how you feel.

Big lie!!!!

I just checked again: XP + nVidia driver can still do it.

So basicly I don't want more software to do the same....

And let me say again: Vista removes functionality! And it's DRM crap looks a lot like some kind of police state.

ultramon is totally worth the money! It integrates two new buttons next to minimize and maximize. One maximizes across both screens and one flips the current window over to the other monitor. Plus you can use two wallpapers or span wallpapers and the start bar spans across. Also items on one screen show up on the start bar for that screen only.

Big lie!!!!

And let me say again: Vista removes functionality! And it's DRM crap looks a lot like some kind of police state.

I can confirm this, XP+nvidia doesnt need any additional software, span mode does the trick.
Didnt know vista removed this feature though. Good ole M$ :rolleyes:

From the "Unsupported features" list in the NVidia 178.24 64-bit Vista Release Notes said:
nView Horizontal and Vertical Span Modes
Due to architectural changes in the new Windows Vista Window Display Driver
Model (WDDM), span mode cannot be supported in NVIDIA graphics drivers.
NVIDIA recommends using the built‐in Windows Vista multi‐display modes.
Release Notes (v178.24) see page 21

Of course it's also gone from the ATI Vista drivers. I use both.

Big lie!!!!

Guess what, nView itself qualifies as "more software".

If you want to fire up the fud machine about DRM and Vista, head over to the OS forum.

Police state... give me a F'in break.

Big lie!!!!

FUD. The only DRM problems Vista has is if you install iTunes.

Guess what, nView itself qualifies as "more software".

If you want to fire up the fud machine about DRM and Vista, head over to the OS forum.

Police state... give me a F'in break.

nView comes in the driver you are downloading from nVidia. There is no additional programm you have to install and setup. So for me it doesn't qualify as "more software".

About the Vista DRM: Have a nice read:
A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection

FUD. The only DRM problems Vista has is if you install iTunes.

In that case the person installing it is the problem :p

But seriously: they could have saved billions lines of code if they would not have included all that crap. And guess what? A lot of people are working on it, so you (if you are paying for your Windows License) are paying for crap you don't want.

Again:
A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection

Ok, no police state: it's even worse. Everybody gets locked up on forehand. :rolleyes:

Big lie!!!!

"Span mode" will stretch the same taskbar across both monitors, yes. I was talking about DualView, which IMO is far superior unless you have a Triplehead setup.

Furthermore, Ultramon's smart taskbar on the secondary monitor (or 3rd, or 10th) shows only the windows on THAT monitor. Spanning does not.

ultramon is totally worth the money! It integrates two new buttons next to minimize and maximize. One maximizes across both screens and one flips the current window over to the other monitor. Plus you can use two wallpapers or span wallpapers and the start bar spans across. Also items on one screen show up on the start bar for that screen only.

the best thing about ultramon is that it can strech the taskbar accross both, and if you drab and app from one screen to the other, the taskbar tab also moves to the other screen.

I used the nvidia one in XP and it wasnt bad, but i would have windows open and it would put all the taskbar icons on the one. ultramon helps to keep track of what app is on what screen.

lol, kk thank you guys (or at least the first page :p) i have trial of the program and im going to upgrade when the time comes :D.

the best thing about ultramon is that it can strech the taskbar accross both, and if you drab and app from one screen to the other, the taskbar tab also moves to the other screen.

I used the nvidia one in XP and it wasnt bad, but i would have windows open and it would put all the taskbar icons on the one. ultramon helps to keep track of what app is on what screen.

This does the same thing, but it's free:

I dunno I just did a google image search for grand prize and that was #1 or #2.
I meant : What's the grand prize for Google?:p
It was meant to go on perpetually.You keep saying "some one/something FTW", I keep asking "What's the grand prize ?"

Back