Dumb question

hkhawk

Limp Gawd
Hey, how can I figure out which wires correspond to which pins in a vga cable? Is there a simple (and cheap) device that I can use to test this? For example, touch one end to the pin and then the other end to the bare wires at the other end of the cable until the correct wire is found? Thanks a lot

if you have the cash, just buy a cheap vga cable or find an old dead monitor and cut one open! would probably be cheaper than any device that you're thinking of...

Double Jesus said:
if you have the cash, just buy a cheap vga cable or find an old dead monitor and cut one open! would probably be cheaper than any device that you're thinking of...

I'm not quite sure if I follow. I mean, I want to cut a cable open and figure out which internal wires correspond to the pins on the connecter other end. How do you do that?

if you cut one open you can just follow where the wire connects to the vga port. you could also try to google this stuff i looked for a quick second and the results seem like they would lead you somewhere.

The right way to do this is to get a multimeter. Set it to ohms (calculates resistance between probes) and hold one probe to a pin on one connector. Then take the other probe and touch every pin on the OTHER connector. When the meter measures 0 ohms, then u know those 2 pins are a pair.

Back