Dumbass of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess I was wrong about the effectiveness of Facebook's suicide prevention tools. Unfortunately for this idiot, the new system actually works and the man was detained for 72 hours after faking a suicide.

Shane Tusch learned about the authenticity of Facebook’s suicide prevention tools the hard way – What started as an attempt to check if the tool really works ended in landing him in a mental health facility for 70 hours.

Last edited:
Good old Baker Act.
At least Facebook got good publicity out of this despite the guy's rant at the end. What was he really expecting to happen?

His comments expose his motivation. He was looking for an angle to use to sue facebook.

His comments expose his motivation. He was looking for an angle to use to sue facebook.

Yup.

Good experiment, though. Motivations were shitty. But, going through all that because of a Facebook post? I see Facebook posts all the time about "Oh, I'm going to kill myself. It sucks...". 4 hours later, its "I love my life, I love being part of a loving family....". Some people just talk mad shit and aren't serious, they just want validation that they aren't retarded (after those posts, though, I have doubts).

Freedom of speech doesn't mean there are not consequences. You can't say you're going to bomb a plane or kill the president without someone coming to check you out. That's serious shit. (and since I'm on the list for that sentence, I might as well add yellow cake uranium to the mix).

People don't think of the consequences when they open their mouth or start typing (or other things, but staying out of that part....).

I agree this guy was pretty stupid to be testing something like this. But it's a bit on the extreme side no?

If all the Facebook system does is look for people who say "I'm going to kill myself" is it really ever effective?

I am by no means a suicide expert, but I was under the impression that to prevent real suicide you ahve to be familiar with the subtle signs of it. Usually the overt people talking about how they are going to kill themselves are the ones faking it, for the attention, right?

Zarathustra[H];1041492893 said:
If all the Facebook system does is look for people who say "I'm going to kill myself" is it really ever effective?

I am by no means a suicide expert, but I was under the impression that to prevent real suicide you ahve to be familiar with the subtle signs of it. Usually the overt people talking about how they are going to kill themselves are the ones faking it, for the attention, right?

to be determined I'd say on effectiveness.. of course being close to the person and observing subtle signs is the best case for recognizing it.. but I see more and more where people turn to social media pre-suicide, I've seen multiple news stories on it in the past year.

I unfortunately had a close friend take to facebook in the middle of the night last year and friends found him in his house dead after they rushed there after reading his note on facebook the next morning.

What the hell did Facebook do. Idiot kept posting he was going to kill himself and his friends called the cops. The end.

I thought the point of this Facebook thing was to pick up on subtle trends and postings through an algorithm, a trend of posts that wouldn't raise a flag with most people.

I can just imagine how many people are going to "hack" into other peoples Facebook accounts and post a big suicide note, just to get someone detained for 3 days.

I really don't see where it is anyone's right to forcibly detain someone in a mental institution just to "prevent them from harming themselves". Send someone to try and help them and prevent it, sure. Essentially arrest them? Hell no. If someone wants to kill themselves that is their business.

In the US, it's NOT illegal to kill yourself.

It's illegal to TRY and kill yourself and FAIL.

Zarathustra[H];1041492893 said:
I am by no means a suicide expert, but I was under the impression that to prevent real suicide you ahve to be familiar with the subtle signs of it.

The tool's not really about preventing suicide right? It's about absolving facebook of any legal liability. I don't think effective is their concern.

This guy can't spell for shit. The spelling and grammar on that post.....Good grief.

FB released this tool about a week after a friend of mine killed himself. I wish it had been available while he was still alive.

I'd love to know how many likes his original post got. He can find out easily that way how many people on his friends list actually secretly hate him.

I'd love to see how many like his original post got. It would be a great way for him to discover how many people on his friends list secretly hate him.

If Facebook is smart and doesn't want to get sued, they'll kill this feature real fast.

Back