dust and how to clean

xnikx

[H]ard|Gawd
8800GTS
how much dust is bad for the card, to the point of causing it too die? how much dust causes temp rising?

what is the best way to clean out dust?

im asking because i had a 6600GT and it died within in a year and when i pulled it out the hs was filled with thick dust.

Sounds like you need to put in a filter, and add/change the current fan setup in your case. I have a can of air that I blast my parts with every once in awhile.

ya a can of air helps a lot. blast your rig id say like twice a month or so.

Good ventilation is important. Try to minimize obstruction in your case, thus better air flow. :)

But yeah, I have a can I use to blow out my computer every few weeks as well.

oh, the 6600 died in my old dell. i have thermal take with a glass side so i can see most dust but i cant see the gfx fan.

will whipeing it down with a qtip or a glasses cleaner be any good?
its hard to get the card out of the slot for some reason so is there a way i can do it without pulling out the card.

does it matter what can i use? cheap/expensive? is there a certain way to use it or do i just spray everywhere? how long before i have to buy a new can?

Compressed air is basically compressed air. I don't think you can go too wrong, at least I've never heard of such.

With the 12oz cans I get, I get 3-4 jobs out of one can. I do a pretty thorough cleaning job, though.

As far as using Qtips or anything, it wouldn't hurt to get some of the dirt that doesn't want to blow away.

I've read that you shouldn't blow directly on your fans, spinning them rapidly, as this can exceed the maximum rpm's for them, thus ruining them. Any one else on this? Also, make sure you hold the can upright. Upside down and you get liquid coming out; not good.

Compressed air is the way to go. I blow mine out using a compressor and it does a phenomenal job! About the fans , this is true. I usually put something in the blades to prevent it/them from spinning. Compressed air will leave things looking new again!:D

Mine rose 40C. From 60C to 100C. Was very embarrasing lol :eek: :p

EDIT: Oh yeah, how to clean :D Fingers and breath. :) Credit card would work aswell if you want.

Compressed air isn't just air, it's flammable, so watch out for that.

I use a big air compressor with a blow off valve. It does the job good. :D I don't actually have to remove anything from the case because the air stream is so powerful.

Back