DVD & CD Drives not showing in my computer HELP!

noobtech

2[H]4U
Hi guys,

Cables are all connected right... in device manager it shows "!" and says drivers might be corrupted or not installed right. I uninstalled them and rebooted... it found new hardware, but still not showing... went back to device manager and shows "!" again.

Opened up the computer, removed and replugged in connectors.

This is an HP computer (mother in laws) no one has ever tampered with jumpers or anything. What gives? I'm stumped on what to do... she lost the recovery disk and I don't want to re-do her system.

Please help!

It could be a hardware fault with the optical drive, try another optical drive in the machine or try the optical drive from the HP in another machine. You should find out what the problem is.

Machinehead said:
It could be a hardware fault with the optical drive, try another optical drive in the machine or try the optical drive from the HP in another machine. You should find out what the problem is.

Well there are two drives installed... a CD & a DVD drive. Neither one is being shown... I am wondering if she has a virus that isn't being detected. *shrug*

has she installed anything recently? programs? devices ( yes even usb ones)... I'd try booting with just the cd rom and then with just the dvd if that dosent work..also of course do the smart thing and run a virus/spyware scan from safe mode... I'd also try and reinstall the chipset drivers..

Try connecting the drives to different connectors on the motherboard (if there are any others). Also, it might be worth it to see if the drives are detected in the BIOS.

Could be a driver issue. See if you can find drivers for those drives.

Danny Bui said:
Could be a driver issue. See if you can find drivers for those drives.

it's possible... but winxp is supposed to auto install those.

this happened to me tonight, I was prompted to install a Windows update, so I did, rebooted and bam it's gone as can be. I searched around and had no luck with that quick fix, any other suggestions??

Back